Review: HiFiMAN HM-602 vs. HM-801 Comparison (56K Warning)
Jul 29, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #211 of 233

Quote:
Get HM-602 for diversification. 

So a good reason to buy the hifiman is 'diversification?' Is that the latest reason these 'audiophiles' invented to justify spending hundreds of dollars on a terribly mediocre, brick of a player? I guess things like linear frequency response & usability aren't important anymore?

This forum is becoming such a joke...

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #212 of 233

Quote:
So a good reason to buy the hifiman is 'diversification?' Is that the latest reason these 'audiophiles' invented to justify spending hundreds of dollars on a terribly mediocre, brick of a player? I guess things like linear frequency response & usability aren't important anymore?

Hahaha * Cough * * Cough * Hahahahahaha.

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #213 of 233

Quote:

Kind of like having 5 different phones in your sig?

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #214 of 233

Quote:
Kind of like having 5 different phones in your sig?

Not sure what you're getting at, but it looks like you pay more attention to my sig than I do. Am I supposed to have 4000 different headphones/iems listed in my sig to be considered 'cool' around here? I can assure you, my ears have heard at least 75-80% of the stuff that's out there. I feel little need to point that out in my sig (which probably hasnt been updated in a good year or two.)

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #215 of 233

Quote:
Not sure what you're getting at, but it looks like you pay more attention to my sig than I do. Am I supposed to have 4000 different headphones/iems listed in my sig to be considered 'cool' around here? I can assure you, my ears have heard at least 75-80% of the stuff that's out there. I feel little need to point that out in my sig (which probably hasnt been updated in a good year or two.)

The point is you attacked 'diversification' as some form of audiofoolery yet you have a diverse set of phones.  Not to mention your phones have greater deviations in FR than the 602 you railed against would have versus whatever your preferred source is.  

Your sig says it was updated a few months ago.  Not that it's relevant.  

Jul 30, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #216 of 233

Quote:
The iPhone 4 is a much better designed player that doesn't have the terrible treble roll off of the 602. You're better off buying an amp for it, assuming you even really need one.

Remember folks that this is one person's opinion. You however may find that the 602 is the most delightful sounding player you have yet come across, and will never want to listen to an iPhone/iPod again. Maybe.

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #217 of 233

Quote:
The point is you attacked 'diversification' as some form of audiofoolery yet you have a diverse set of phones.  Not to mention your phones have greater deviations in FR than the 602 you railed against would have versus whatever your preferred source is.  

Your sig says it was updated a few months ago.  Not that it's relevant.  

That's the thing Anaxilus. The source shouldn't have a non-linear frequency response. That is simply not Hi-Fi.

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #218 of 233

Quote:

That's the thing Anaxilus. The source shouldn't have a non-linear frequency response. That is simply not Hi-Fi.

Yeah, yeah I know.  
rolleyes.gif

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #219 of 233

Quote:

You know, you're absolutely right. I completely forgot about the horribly V-Shaped frequency response curve of the ER4S (which is what I use 98% of the time.)

I can appreciate 'diversification' IN EAR/HEADPHONES. However, I think most would agree that an ideal source would be linear. A non-linear source just points out the weaknesses of non-linear headphones even more.

Not to mention, all 5 of the headphones, plus the source(s) listed in my sig combined still cost a fraction of what the hifiman costs.

And to anyone claiming that a linear response curve sounds too 'digital,' you're an idiot and you deserve the $800 brick you just bought.

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #221 of 233
Jul 31, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #223 of 233

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/514440/review-hifiman-hm-602-vs-hm-801-comparison-56k-warning/135#post_7069936

The FR graph for a good source isn't supposed to look like that. The 801 has similarly bad results. I imagine the 802 did as well.

-2.5 dB @ 15khz?  You realize these are colored euphonic sounding sources by design right?  I don't think anyone is saying to use use these devices for professional mastering duty.  What's with the holy crusade to tell people how to build a 'correct' hamburger??  If you have a problem w/ output Z from the HO using multi BA's like the TF10 there's a zillion other DAPs that do the same and those that don't.  I use the LO so no sweat off my brow.     

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #224 of 233

Quote:
-2.5 dB @ 15khz?  You realize these are colored euphonic sounding sources by design right?  I don't think anyone is saying to use use these devices for professional mastering duty.  What's with the holy crusade to tell people how to build a 'correct' hamburger??  If you have a problem w/ output Z from the HO using multi BA's like the TF10 there's a zillion other DAPs that do the same and those that don't.  I use the LO so no sweat off my brow.     

The LO still has a treble roll off and other poor measurements.

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #225 of 233
You guys are boring with your multimeters, RMAA tests and mainstream players with perfect measurements. This thread is for "HiFiMAN HM-602 vs. HM-801 Comparison". What are you doing here? Let us, old farts grown on cassettes and vinyl, enjoy our expensive, bad measured, ugly HMs. We choosed them carefully and we have our reasons. Please, do not try to teach us, leave us alone. Peace. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back