Review: HiFiMAN HM-602 vs. HM-801 Comparison (56K Warning)
Jul 31, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #226 of 233

Quote:
The LO still has a treble roll off and other poor measurements.

I assume you mean distortion.  That's what the DAC measures at and always has.  Has nothing to do w/ Hifiman's implementation.  That's the NOS signature people want to hear.  

As you should know the LO not only bypasses the HO opamps but fixes the weird FR you see w/ the TF10 assuming your external amp is adequate.  If you have a LO FR measurement attached to a properly designed amp lets see it.  I haven't seen one anywhere to show me my ears are lying to me.

You do realize if I put 10ohms or more of output Z on the HO of any device and hook it up to the TF10 I can get weird FR curves no matter who designs it.  Apple included.   

Jul 31, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #227 of 233
Excuse me, the 801 not 802, just posted too quickly.

Nice to see graphs but if it were just graphs, then we wouldn't need head-fi meets or this forum for that matter, we could just all check the measurements.  I find that many things that measure well sound horrible and many things that measure mediocre sound incredible and are on another level, this is one of those cases.  I stand by my earlier post that there is no comparison between any ipod or iphone to the HM801.  

I guess the question is have you heard them both?  If so then you have made your decision and you can live with that.  I heard them both and was floored by the 801, couldn't believe a portable could have that kind of SQ.

Many people are happy with low-mid fi headphones that measure well and then complain about $1000.+ headphones too so this is nothing new anyway.

Jul 31, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #228 of 233

Quote:
Excuse me, the 801 not 802, just posted too quickly.

Nice to see graphs but if it were just graphs, then we wouldn't need head-fi meets or this forum for that matter, we could just all check the measurements.  I find that many things that measure well sound horrible and many things that measure mediocre sound incredible and are on another level, this is one of those cases.  I stand by my earlier post that there is no comparison between any ipod or iphone to the HM801.  

I guess the question is have you heard them both?  If so then you have made your decision and you can live with that.  I heard them both and was floored by the 801, couldn't believe a portable could have that kind of SQ.

Many people are happy with low-mid fi headphones that measure well and then complain about $1000.+ headphones too so this is nothing new anyway.

The iPod Touch 3G sounds better to my ears than my HM-801 with the same FLAC song. According to the measurements, the Touch 3G measures better than the HM-801 and I hear exactly where the HM-801 falls short to the Touch even before the measurements pointed them out. I guess people are so gullible and easily fall prey of expectation bias/placebo.

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #229 of 233
Quote:
[...] I guess people are so gullible and easily fall prey of expectation bias/placebo.

Have you considered the fact that people have different sonic preferences to yourself? There is no right and wrong as far as preferences go... you can try and argue the "science", but not what people prefer.

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #230 of 233

Quote:
Have you considered the fact that people have different sonic preferences to yourself? There is no right and wrong as far as preferences go... you can try and argue the "science", but not what people prefer.

I understand that but they make it seem as if the sound quality of the HM-801 is better when it's not. It's just a different sonic flavor ( Rolled Off Treble ). If someone was to go and say " I prefer the HM-801 to my iPhone because it sounds more easier on the ears because of the rolled off treble " than I wouldn't step in and say anything against them. But, when they flat out lie and say " The HM-801's sound quality blows away my iPhone " then I feel that I should step in and speak the truth.

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #231 of 233
Glad you are content with you iphone, if you are happy with what you have then stick with it, i have an itouch and ipod classic with an lod connector to get out of the line out and all of those are gathering dust due to the HM801.  At this point i am content with my system both home and portable and haven't bought anything in about ten months so i am in the same boat, new releases and technology don't make what i have any worse so I am good too.  Enjoy listening to music on your phone and be happy for it.

Edit- Flac files on your touch....rockboxed?

Jul 31, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #232 of 233

Quote:
Glad you are content with you iphone, if you are happy with what you have then stick with it, i have an itouch and ipod classic with an lod connector to get out of the line out and all of those are gathering dust due to the HM801.  At this point i am content with my system both home and portable and haven't bought anything in about ten months so i am in the same boat, new releases and technology don't make what i have any worse so I am good too.  Enjoy listening to music on your phone and be happy for it.

Edit- Flac files on your touch....rockboxed?

Meant to say ALAC.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back