Review: HiFiMAN HM-602 vs. HM-801 Comparison (56K Warning)
Dec 15, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #181 of 233
You just described what Meier Move does with HM-602. This is a bonus point to HM-801. Thank you!

Quote:
If you'd prefer a more linear SQ with better treble extensions compared to the HM-602, the HM-801 will do that for you... I have not heard the Meier amp you're using, so I can't comment on that.

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #182 of 233
Sure. Just to be clear, though, you can't fully mitigate the DAC constraints by switching amps.  The HM-602 Phillips NOS TDA1543 chipset will always sound more colored than the dual- Burr-Brown PCM1704UK chipset in the HM-801.  I happen to prefer the former in general for most genres I normally listen to but the latter has distinct advantages as well.  It's just a more resolving chipset, which is normally what you want a source to be.

How much of that your IEMs or headphones can actually render is another matter.  On some headphones the difference may be totally superfluous.

Dec 15, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #183 of 233
You probably know my headphones. What do you think?
I check your inventory. Is there any better portable rig, aside of both HiFiMan palyers?

Quote:
How much of that your IEMs or headphones can actually render is another matter.  On some headphones the difference may be totally superfluous.

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #184 of 233

Quote:
You probably know my headphones. What do you think?
I check your inventory. Is there any better portable rig, aside of both HiFiMan palyers?

Quote:

I only know the HD650s out of those listed in your signature block and I believe they are a better match with the HM-801 containing a 2nd generation ST amp module than with the 602s, unless you like a lot of bass and overall colored sound signature.

The more neutral HD600s compliment the HM-602 better, to my ears.

Is there a better portable system than either of these?  It depends on what's important to you in a portable system.  Outside of these two, I use my WhipMOD+Reference WhipLOD+Pico Slim+TWagged JH13s the most while on the go.  Key advantages of this platform over the HifiMAN players is its huge storage capacity and gapless playback.  Disadvantage is that it cannot play FLACs natively, nor can it play anything above 16/44 (redbook) resolution music.

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #186 of 233
As a self-contained portable source, the HM-801 stands alone at the moment, IMHO, followed by the 602.  The difference is more evident when testing with higher end cans and IEMs.  I have never auditioned the RE262s, transitioned to customs about a year ago.

On a general note, dedicated DAPs tend to outperform portable media players in overall SQ.

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #187 of 233

Ok was listening to my DACPort and 602 DAC this evening.  Man the DACPort is just ruthless and compared to the 602 it's very digital and unforgiving.  I have to say the dynamic range is more extended and it is very, very revealing.  I definitely can get fatigued more easily on the DACPort and that's w/ my somewhat modded T50RP which is a touch on the warm side.  I think Beyers + DACPort could be murderous on my ears.  Surprisingly the 602 is incredibly adept as a DAC.  Much better than i was expecting.  It sounds fantastic w/ its NOS DAC and really doesn't leave much if anything behind as far as detail considering its signature.  Highly recommended.  Using my 602/Arrow combo I can tell you there is quite a bit more headroom for Headphones than the DACPort or the 602 alone.  On certain tracks the DACPort can get pegged max gain driving my Fostex.  No such issue on the 602/Arrow.  The DACPort is obviously brighter and actually hisses more than the 602/Arrow.  If you absolutely have to pick every last bit of detail out and analyze it go DACPort.  Beware of a bit more hiss, less headroom and potential fatigue compared to the 602/Arrow though.  If you listen to a lot of low bit rate stuff avoid the DACPort, it will tear it to shreds.  

Edit - Looks like I found a way to play my 24bit/88.2 files on the 602.  Use the USB DAC.  Odd, wont play through the player but will through USB.   

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #188 of 233

Quote:
As a self-contained portable source, the HM-801 stands alone at the moment, IMHO, followed by the 602.  The difference is more evident when testing with higher end cans and IEMs.  I have never auditioned the RE262s, transitioned to customs about a year ago.

On a general note, dedicated DAPs tend to outperform portable media players in overall SQ.

So you consider the hifiman 602 to have higher SQ than the whipmod then? I'm trying to decide if i should get a whipmod or get a hifiman. Also does the whipmod LOD work with other ipods other than the whipmod? Thanks!

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #189 of 233

Quote:

Quote:

So you consider the hifiman 602 to have higher SQ than the whipmod then? I'm trying to decide if i should get a whipmod or get a hifiman. Also does the whipmod LOD work with other ipods other than the whipmod? Thanks!

Quite honestly, you have to try them to see which you like. For me, the resolution and sheer musicality of the 602 beats the whipmod (and all other flavours of iPod) comfortably. Others disagree and dislike the 602's undoubted colouration. Nobody can tell you definitively which one you will prefer.

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #190 of 233
Ah okay thanks. The whipmod is a little too expensive for me with the lod. I'm wondering if there's an easy way to sync playlists with it? I have an itunes library unfortunately. That's probably the only issue since it doesnt support .m3u playlists either.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #191 of 233

Quote:
For me, the resolution and sheer musicality of the 602 beats the whipmod (and all other flavours of iPod) comfortably. Others disagree and dislike the 602's undoubted colouration.

Do they dislike headphone jack or line-out? LO is apparently less colored.

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #193 of 233
Both PO and LO are colored. I still have funny feeling about how much they cost (I got 602). One can still get old portable CD player, mp3 player, mini disc for not much money - you can asked yourself,  what kind of colored sound do you really want? 602 and 801 are  obviously more powerful than others.

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #194 of 233

Quote:
Both PO and LO are colored. I still have funny feeling about how much they cost (I got 602). One can still get old portable CD player, mp3 player, mini disc for not much money - you can asked yourself,  what kind of colored sound do you really want? 602 and 801 are  obviously more powerful than others.

Old portable CD players, ordinary mp3 players (including all iPods) and mini discs can't play 24 bit files, which is one of the big plus points of the HiFiMan players as far as I'm concerned.

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #195 of 233

Quote:
Quote:

Old portable CD players, ordinary mp3 players (including all iPods) and mini discs can't play 24 bit files, which is one of the big plus points of the HiFiMan players as far as I'm concerned.

You play 24 bit files, you got a winner. After I have 602 for a while, I dug out my old mp3 players (back then, both end extention and details were not selling points or emphasized), I found they sounded "sort of similar" - they don't hurt my ears, they don't hit low low end well, their treble roll off - they mellow the sound in the same manner. In certain days, I preferred 602; other days, otherwise. I dno't regret my purchase of 602, but I do have funny feeling when I have old players out (especially, I recalled, I didn't care about some of them when I was young) ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back