Review: Hifiman HE-6/EF-6: An Elite Headphone System, Under One Roof
Feb 12, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #91 of 259
Is it just me or others are also feeling that Nankai/Fang is releasing headphones just to meet different price-points and now that all price-points are exhausted lets do some electrostats...... wait a minute.... introduce low-grade first, then introduce High-grade, and then finally introduce the mid-grade electrostats so that we can try all of them.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that what happened with HifiMan 802/601/602.... something along those lines... then The HE5 / HE6 / HE4 HE400 / HE300 / ugh I keep losing the count.  

Please DON'T be surprised to see the low/mid grade version of EF6 (I'm going to go ahead and guess EF4 or EF5 possibly around $699)

I get a feeling he wants to release a product per quarter (3 months). I could be wrong.. but when I sign-on onto Head-Fi from time-to-time... all I see is HE4 HE400 ...HE5LE..HE500...HE6....What!

This is purely my opinion and this is what I have been seeing. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #92 of 259
Yes, the rapidity of releases from Hifiman and their durability and service (and Audeze's) has made me cautious of them.

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #93 of 259
Yes, he does actually. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but I've rarely found his to be accurate.

Can you cite any particular opinions you find out of order?

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #94 of 259
i agree. the number and frequency of release of HiFiMan HE headphones is a bit much and makes me think that quality and sound are secondary to other priorities. i am likewise turned off by the Audeze release of a R2 model so soon after the R1, which was then quickly followed by a newer, better and, of course, more expensive edition.

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #95 of 259
They're trying to become the Chinese Sennheiser before someone else beats them to it.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #97 of 259

Quote:
Can you cite any particular opinions you find out of order?

Lol!! I think you meant ..."Can you cite any particular opinions you find IN Order?"

jokin
biggrin.gif

Quote:
i agree. the number and frequency of release of HiFiMan HE headphones is a bit much and makes me think that quality and sound are secondary to other priorities. i am likewise turned off by the Audeze release of a R2 model so soon after the R1, which was then quickly followed by a newer, better and, of course, more expensive edition.

Yea, I didn't want to come off too harsh.... but you nailed it. LCD2 / LCD2(rev 2) / LCD3 .... seriously both (Audeze & HeadDirect/HifiMan) are the only serious makers of orthos. Technology came through, and both companies went off. Seems like both really don't know how to build a brand. Canabalizing previous (older) products. Its sad, but that is the truth.  At least I think Audeze should have given a free upgrade to all the LCD 2 (rev 1) owners to (rev 2). I really feel bad for those owners who lost value $$ in their item.  Forget loyalty to original customers who took the plunge and tried out your first product that ever came out from your firm. Then ......less than 2 years after you release a product for $1995 LCD3 .... not even for $1299, $1499, $1699, but straight up $1995?  Competing with Sennheiser or Ultrasone? really?

I wonder what would head-fiers say 10 years from now... "Oh yeah remember those couple of years where there was a bandwagon of orthos.... yea what happend to that?" OR "After Sennheiser/Ultrasone released Orthos what happed to HiFiMan/Audeze?" OR "Damn I like products from Audeze/HiFiMan because they at least meet 80% of Sennheiser/Ultrasone for less than half their pricetag "

Anything goes...

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #98 of 259
A 2 year (or less) development cycle for phones, computers, cars, ereaders, etc is pretty much normal so why the angst over the frequency of headphone releases? If you purchased an item because it sounded great, what has happened to the sound quality if a later model is released?  Nothing.

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #99 of 259
If you purchased an item because it sounded great, what has happened to the sound quality if a later model is released?  Nothing.

-- It's fallen apart due to poor construction and getting it replaced takes months.

Transducers are always useful, building them to last is what is important. I'd rather headphones not take the direction consumer electronics have where products are engineered to last only as long as the warranty.

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #100 of 259

Quote:
Yes, he does actually. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but I've rarely found his to be accurate.

He and I had a nice time going a couple of rounds over popular topics like cables at RMAF last year.  Suffice to say, we agreed to respectfully disagree :wink:

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #101 of 259

Quote:
Is it just me or others are also feeling that Nankai/Fang is releasing headphones just to meet different price-points and now that all price-points are exhausted lets do some electrostats...... wait a minute.... introduce low-grade first, then introduce High-grade, and then finally introduce the mid-grade electrostats so that we can try all of them.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that what happened with HifiMan 802/601/602.... something along those lines... then The HE5 / HE6 / HE4 HE400 / HE300 / ugh I keep losing the count.  

Please DON'T be surprised to see the low/mid grade version of EF6 (I'm going to go ahead and guess EF4 or EF5 possibly around $699)

I get a feeling he wants to release a product per quarter (3 months). I could be wrong.. but when I sign-on onto Head-Fi from time-to-time... all I see is HE4 HE400 ...HE5LE..HE500...HE6....What!

This is purely my opinion and this is what I have been seeing. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

I'm waiting for the HE-600 lol

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #102 of 259
HE-600 is next quarter, then Jades for fall and HE-7 for christmas, then, and then, and then!

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #103 of 259

Quote:
HE-600 is next quarter, then Jades for fall and HE-7 for christmas, then, and then, and then!

I thought Fang said he'd be taking a pretty long break from releasing new headphones...?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 14, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #104 of 259
Are these Jade.2 reports based on facts?

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #105 of 259
Sarcasm meters broken, the pair of you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back