REVIEW - HiFiMan HE-560 Planar Magnetic Headphones - Stock Headphone Impressions here, No Mods other than cables (Review in Progress)
Apr 5, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #31 of 243

Unfortunately I haven't had time to do longer than a 1 hour at a time listening session, so not long enough for fatigue to set in.  However, with my HD800 and a DACmini I'll start to feel fatigued within 3-4 songs. So, this is actually still a good sign that 1 hour is safe so far.  I'll have more time this weekend to go longer, but I will usually still take a break at least every 2 hours.  I don't have the endurance that I did when I was younger.  

For listening to music I mean 
tongue_smile.gif

For active listening I rarely go over 1-2 hours without a break so that sounds good. Any hotspots on your head with the headband by the end of your session? It looks wide enough (forward to back) to spread across well.
Thanks for quick reply.

Apr 5, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #33 of 243

It's all relative, in a soundstage kinda way.  I like an even balance in midrange presence, without an emphasized frequency response.  Some headphones may have a midrange that is distant sounding or sucked out.  Others have a more immediate and intimate sounding midrange, like the HE-5LE and HE-500.  A few will over-do it vs my tastes, like the older Grado RS-2 models.

but I DO NOT LIKE a sucked out midrange.  My Darth Beyers and Stax SR-Lambda Pro 5 years ago were big time offenders in that regard, and they went away rather quickly.  But I also do not seek out headphones that emphasize the midrange too much. Too much midrange often means low volume listening is no longer any fun, or they need to be cranked up to be enjoyed more.  Right now my HE-6 and these HE-560 are two of my best "low-volume" headphones, so the mids are definitely not what I would call forward.  But neither are they hollow and distant like some with too little midrange presence.  

The older HE-5 were just above the point where I would have said the mids were recessed, and that gave them a deep soundstage although with a somewhat nebulous image placement. The HE-5LE went the opposite direction with almost being more forward than I wanted, but at least I was only on the first row of a performance and not in the singer's lap. The HE-500 found a happy middle ground and improved on the focus of the soundstage and image, and the HE-560 stay on those grounds while somehow increasing the soundstage size and out of head cues exponentially.

Okay I think I now got what you meaning by forward mids.

From reading your description it’s in “my definition” like a fuller mids, meaning the lower mids is a bit more present than the higher mids (2-3 KHz) or/and treble. In this regard the LCD3’s mids is fuller/more forward than the HE500 in my book. The LCD3 also match your description on a phone that doesn’t sound very good on low volume.

Apr 5, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #34 of 243
I just wanted to add that we all use terms like full mids, rich mids, organic mids, forward mids, etc and I think they all mean subtly different things and may not be the same thing, although sometimes they are.  Confused?  Yes.

The HE-500 mids might be described as full, rich, and organic, but only slightly forward (in terms of depth of stage).  The HE-560 mids could be described as full sounding, but slightly less organic and rich sounding, and slightly less forward as well - al least to me.  This doesn't mean the HE-560 mids aren't natural and life-like sounding.  Got it?  I thought so.

To me the opposite of "Recessed" mids is "Forward". "Full" would fit right in the middle.

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #36 of 243
  Excited to hear this.  This is an area where I feel my LCD2-Rev.2's really fall down, it's like the hammers of the piano are coated in an extra thick layer of felt.  There should be an initial bite to the note when the string is struck and the LCD-2 just won't give it to me.

The notes hit hard and fast and then hang in the air like bubbles. 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #37 of 243
Apr 8, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #38 of 243
  i was curious if the treble had potential to be fatiguing.

would you say you haven't had any issues with the he560 over long sessions?

Unfortunately I haven't had time to do longer than a 1 hour at a time listening session, so not long enough for fatigue to set in.  However, with my HD800 and a DACmini I'll start to feel fatigued within 3-4 songs. So, this is actually still a good sign that 1 hour is safe so far.  I'll have more time this weekend to go longer, but I will usually still take a break at least every 2 hours.  I don't have the endurance that I did when I was younger.  

For listening to music I mean 
tongue_smile.gif

Okay, I listened to these for about 3 hours yesterday evening, with NO fatigue.  I was using my iPhone with CEntrance HiFi-M8, and I listened to a wide variety of MP3 and ALAC music, ranging from Blake Shelton to Led Zeppelin, and From Diana Krall to Infected Mushroom. 

I want to remind everyone that the reviews on a headphone will be wildly influenced by the source and amp that is being used.  The headphones will have better synergy with some gear than others, and the source and amp choice can make or break a headphone review.  Previously I have been using a PS Audio Perfectwave Mk2 DAC into an Eddie Current ZDT amp, a Nuforce DAC-100 into an EF6 amp, and a DACmini into an EF5 amp.  This most recent listening session with the iPhone > M8 was while I was just relaxing in my lazy boy recliner (yes, a real lazy boy) without the high-end gear.

I did find that the HiFi-M8 has it's best synergy with the HE-560 when the amp's output impedance switch is set for 2-ohms.  It improves the warmth and fullness of the mids, and improves the presence and weight of the instruments vs the 1 ohm setting.  This is an issue with the amp synergy, and NOT a description of the headphones with all 1 ohm amps.  For instance, they have plenty of weight, body, and warmth with my Eddie Current ZDT amp which has a very low output impedance.  

So, the HE-560 are fine with a low output impedance, but the HiFi-M8 is a very neutral amp that in general would not be described as warm sounding, and so the higher output impedance helps make up for that quality in the amp when used with a very neutral headphone.  I had forgotten about the switches on the rear, and so I really need to revisit this amp with my HD800 with it set for 10 ohm.  With it set for 10 ohm while using the HE-560 the sound gets even warmer and thicker, sounding more lush and punchy at the same time. I think the speed decreases slightly with the 10 ohm setting, yet I don't find it to slow down with the DACmini which has a 10 ohm output impedance.  Some people would say 10 ohm on the M8 takes things too far, but it certainly can be enjoyable to flavor the sound a little to get a little more emotion out of this amp.  To this day I still don't use the bass or treble boost with the amp - I don't like to EQ headphones to get the best sound.

If I switch the output impedance on the M8 to 1 ohm the HE-560 are still very enjoyable with the amp, sounding more neutral with slightly more distance between the listener and the vocalists or instruments, so the circular soundstage got a little more oval with the 2-ohm setting (still wide but not quite as deep).  It's just that the slight tweak in sound with the 2 ohm output impedance is a bit more enjoyable sounding, that I'm willing to give up a tiny bit of depth in return.  

Apr 8, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #40 of 243
Ahhh less crap to filter through. Subbed! I think I am back on track with the 560 and am desiring it again.the lcd2 rev 2 balance of mids got me. I am also excited about the dynamics because the planars I have had lacked it. I expect drums etc to pop but with a slight sheen.

Apr 8, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #41 of 243
Ultimate challence - How's the treble performance compared to the 'stats you have owned? I would really like to know...

Good 'stats tend to have that realism and air and perspective. How's the 560 in that regard?

Apr 8, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #42 of 243
Thanks for the write-up Lary, I was moving away from headphone setup after owning LCD-2 V.1. Now you guys just pulling me back with this "dam thing" that make me restart the whole headphone thing again.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #43 of 243
  RSA F-35 overkill for the 560 ?

Not at all.  They seem to do well with modestly powered amps like 650-750mw HiFi-M8 which I would call the bare minimum for optimal enjoyment, but the F-35's extra power in balanced mode is very useful - it's like BAM!  They really thrive on a 2-watt EF5, or a 3-watt Eddie Current ZDT, or a 5 to 6-watt EF6, like all orthos do.

Ultimate challence - How's the treble performance compared to the 'stats you have owned? I would really like to know...

Good 'stats tend to have that realism and air and perspective. How's the 560 in that regard?

I would say the treble (and speed) is very stat-like but without the etch or glare of some of the vintage Stax like the SR-Lambda Pro and SR-Lambda Pro Signature (which was much better).  The air, ambience and transparency is wonderful with the HE-560.  Note - the HE-6 also have a very stat-like presentation, and they competed well with my HE-60 and SR-007 in past listening sessions.

HeadphoneAddict,
in term of sound quality, does He560 sound better or just sound different compare to He500 ?

Well, I wanted to say they are both on the same level, with just different sound.  But while I still love the HE-500, if I had to pick just one it would be the HE-560, for it's improved speed, detail, sparkle, and soundstage.  Note - both phones here are stock, not modded.  The HE-500 still have a warm and inviting sound with good detail at the same time, as opposed to a dark and veiled HD650 for instance, and with having both here together I would not want to give up either one. 

I thought the original HE-5 were great (with the EF5 amp, or Square Wave XL amp, or ZDT), but the HE-5LE were an upgrade with less recessed mids and a more refined sound, while the HE-500 improved upon that by adding more stable imaging and improved treble.  However, I NEVER considered selling the old ones as I upgraded, because I still like the older ones too much.  Same goes with the HE-560, they won't get me to sell my older HiFiMan headphones.

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #44 of 243
^Thank you!

What would something like the LS do better over the 560?

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #45 of 243

Not at all.  They seem to do well with modestly powered amps like 650-750mw HiFi-M8 which I would call the bare minimum for optimal enjoyment, but the F-35's extra power in balanced mode is very useful - it's like BAM!  They really thrive on a 2-watt EF5, or a 3-watt Eddie Current ZDT, or a 5 to 6-watt EF6, like all orthos do.

I would say the treble (and speed) is very stat-like but without the etch or glare of some of the vintage Stax like the SR-Lambda Pro and SR-Lambda Pro Signature (which was much better).  The air, ambience and transparency is wonderful with the HE-560.  Note - the HE-6 also have a very stat-like presentation, and they competed well with my HE-60 and SR-007 in past listening sessions.

Well, I wanted to say they are both on the same level, with just different sound.  But while I still love the HE-500, if I had to pick just one it would be the HE-560, for it's improved speed, detail, sparkle, and soundstage.  Note - both phones here are stock, not modded.  The HE-500 still have a warm and inviting sound with good detail at the same time, as opposed to a dark and veiled HD650 for instance, and with having both here together I would not want to give up either one. 

I thought the original HE-5 were great (with the EF5 amp, or Square Wave XL amp, or ZDT), but the HE-5LE were an upgrade with less recessed mids and a more refined sound, while the HE-500 improved upon that by adding more stable imaging and improved treble.  However, I NEVER considered selling the old ones as I upgraded, because I still like the older ones too much.  Same goes with the HE-560, they won't get me to sell my older HiFiMan headphones.

No offense there brother but thats hard to translate as same level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back