REVIEW - HiFiMan HE-560 Planar Magnetic Headphones - Stock Headphone Impressions here, No Mods other than cables (Review in Progress)
Apr 1, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #17 of 243
  Thanks you very much for your excellent He560 impression.  Could you please comment on microdetail extraction?  Can He560 extract microdetails as much as HD800?

So far the micro-detail is very good - possibly on par with my HD800 and high-end electrostatics.  Certainly they project great air and ambience with recordings made in an open or a larger venue.

Great impressions so far. I plan on purchasing the he 560s. Can you or anyone else comment on how they sound with acoustic music?

They are great with any kind of plucked, blown, or struck instrument.  The transient response with pianos is fantastic, and that's a make it or break it area with many headphones.  As I mentioned before somewhere, I almost thought a guitar was in the room with me once.

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #19 of 243
So far the micro-detail is very good - possibly on par with my HD800 and high-end electrostatics.  Certainly they project great air and ambience with recordings made in an open or a larger venue.

They are great with any kind of plucked, blown, or struck instrument.  The transient response with pianos is fantastic, and that's a make it or break it area with many headphones.  As I mentioned before somewhere, I almost thought a guitar was in the room with me once.

Yes. I love them pianos!

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #20 of 243
so i'm deciding b/n picking up a used pair of hd800 or trying the he560. they're about $200 apart...from what i've read so far, the he560 seems to be quite detailed at the expense of a bit of warmth, while we know that the hd800 is about as detailed as any dynamic headphone. i'm in the market for something on the other end of the d7000 or the hf2, my current go-to headphones. thought i'd give either of these headphones a go...any ideas?

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #21 of 243
  so i'm deciding b/n picking up a used pair of hd800 or trying the he560. they're about $200 apart...from what i've read so far, the he560 seems to be quite detailed at the expense of a bit of warmth, while we know that the hd800 is about as detailed as any dynamic headphone. i'm in the market for something on the other end of the d7000 or the hf2, my current go-to headphones. thought i'd give either of these headphones a go...any ideas?

The HD800 are fairly amp dependent, and one that is fairly neutral may still make them seem slightly cold, and other amps may make them sound a little fatiguing.  I mostly use my Eddie Current ZDT or EF6 amps with my HD800, but the EF6 amp gives them more punch power and warmth (like my F-35 lightning balanced portable).  For example, the HD800 feel slightly bright and fatiguing with my DACmini, but the HE-560, HE-500 and LCD-2 rev2 are great with the DACmini (as well as D7000 and HF-2)

Your Millett Hybrid amp should be able to drive the HD800 pretty well, and if slightly bright you can tune it with a tube change.  However, with your tastes leaning toward D7000 and HF-2 (two of my favorites here at home as well), the HE-560 may suit you better, as they can be driven well by a wider variety of amps.  

As to which headphone is technically better, I haven't gotten that far yet.  You can see my ongoing impressions at the link in my signature.

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #22 of 243
APRIL 3, 2014:

Quote:
  I think I like the copper cable that comes with the HE-6 more than the stock cable. I also prefer the HE-500 with the copper cable. It also could be that the stock cable needs more time but I like the frequency spectrum and transparency more with the copper cable. 

I have two HE-6 cables because I liked them so much - I used one with HE-500 and one with the HE-6.  It was a big upgrade with the HE-500.  Lately, with my HE-500 I have been quite happy with my Moon-Audio Silver Dragon balanced cable that I got so I could use it with my portable gear more easily.  I didn't like the Blue Dragon with the HE-500.  

With the HE-5 and HE-5LE I found that they were best when I swapped cabled between the two, and I still have them that way - with the silver plated copper HE-5 cable on the HE-5LE, and the more mellow sounding HE-5LE cable on the brighter HE-5.

However, I think the stock cable with the HE-560 is pretty good.  I'm not ready to try out other cables yet.

April 3rd, 2014 continued:

In response to a question about which I prefer, I love both the HE-500 and the 560.  They are somewhat different sounding but at this point I think that I'd have to have both right now.  

I do tend to prefer the HE-560, for their more spacious presentation and improved treble detail, but I couldn't part with the HE-500 that I already have because of their warm and organic midrange.  Based on comfort alone I'd pick the HE-560 in a heart-beat.  If I didn't own either headphone and was starting from scratch I guess that I'd have to pick the HE-560.  But I already own the HE-500 and I could never sell them, just like I still have the original HE-5 and the HE-5LE.

April 5th, 2014:

Quote:
What about the midrange though?
Isn't that a bit more forward on the 560?

^headphone addict says it's not. Look on the first page with links to his impressions

Yes, the midrange of the HE-560 and HE-6 is not as forward as the midrange on the HE-500 or HE-5LE.  But their mids are not recessed either. They strike a great balance in the midrange presentation. It's more like the LCD-2 rev2 midrange, but with a larger sense of space, air and ambience than the LCD-2 rev2. 

While treble was greatly improved with the rev2 vs my original rev1, the LCD-2 don't sparkle as much, and don't seem as airy and open as the HE-560. Treble sparkle of the HE-560 is better, and closer to the HE-6.  I tend to put the HE-500 more on the same level as the LCD-2 rev2.

My original HE-5 has a little bit of recessed midrange, or a V-shaped curve, and the treble is not as smooth as the others. The HE-560 fill out the mids better than my HE-5 did, without having the slightly fatiguing treble of the HE-5.  I thought the HE-5LE made a big step up in refinement over the HE-5, while the HE-500 gave a more solid image placement with improved speed and efficiency.  The HE-560 add to that with a much more open and expansive soundstage, improved low volume listening, better speed and micro-detail, and more fun factor.

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #23 of 243
[COLOR=0000CD]I have two HE-6 cables because I liked them so much - I used one with HE-500 and one with the HE-6.  It was a big upgrade with the HE-500.  Lately, with my HE-500 I have been quite happy with my Moon-Audio Silver Dragon balanced cable that I got so I could use it with my portable gear more easily.  I didn't like the Blue Dragon with the HE-500.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]With the HE-5 and HE-5LE I found that they were best when I swapped cabled between the two, and I still have them that way - with the silver plated copper HE-5 cable on the HE-5LE, and the more mellow sounding HE-5LE cable on the brighter HE-5.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]However, I think the stock cable with the HE-560 is pretty good.  I'm not ready to try out other cables yet.[/COLOR]

April 3rd, 2014 continued:

[COLOR=0000FF]In response to a question about which I prefer, I love both the HE-500 and the 560.  They are somewhat different sounding but at this point I think that I'd have to have both right now.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]I do tend to prefer the HE-560, for their more spacious presentation and improved treble detail, but I couldn't part with the HE-500 that I already have because of their warm and organic midrange.  Based on comfort alone I'd pick the HE-560 in a heart-beat.  If I didn't own either headphone and was starting from scratch I guess that I'd have to pick the HE-560.  But I already own the HE-500 and I could never sell them, just like I still have the original HE-5 and the HE-5LE.[/COLOR]

April 5th, 2014:

Quote:

[COLOR=0000FF]Yes, the midrange of the HE-560 and HE-6 is not as forward as the midrange on the HE-500 or HE-5LE.  But their mids are not recessed either. They strike a great balance in the midrange presentation. It's more like the LCD-2 rev2 midrange, but with a larger sense of space, air and ambience than the LCD-2 rev2. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]While treble was greatly improved with the rev2 vs my original rev1, the LCD-2 don't sparkle as much, and don't seem as airy and open as the HE-560. Treble sparkle of the HE-560 is better, and closer to the HE-6.  I tend to put the HE-500 more on the same level as the LCD-2 rev2.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]My original HE-5 has a little bit of recessed midrange, or a V-shaped curve, and the treble is not as smooth as the others. The HE-560 fill out the mids better than my HE-5 did, without having the slightly fatiguing treble of the HE-5.  I thought the HE-5LE made a big step up in refinement over the HE-5, while the HE-500 gave a more solid image placement with improved speed and efficiency.  The HE-560 add to that with a much more open and expansive soundstage, improved low volume listening, better speed and micro-detail, and more fun factor.[/COLOR]

Thanks -_^

By the looks of it the PM-1 treble, while smooth and detailed doesnt have the airy qualities I desire and even sounds a bit closed.
I'll wait for further impressions but so far leaning towards this one.

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #26 of 243

First of all thanks for your thought and comparison to other cans!

I don’t really understand what you mean by forward midrange. I haven’t notice this on HE500 or compared to LCD3. If I have interpret you right you appears to prefer this forward midrange thing. Is it the frequency of the mids that is emphasized or in the presentation of the mids in the soundstage or something totally different? 

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #27 of 243
  i was curious if the treble had potential to be fatiguing.

would you say you haven't had any issues with the he560 over long sessions?

Unfortunately I haven't had time to do longer than a 1 hour at a time listening session, so not long enough for fatigue to set in.  However, with my HD800 and a DACmini I'll start to feel fatigued within 3-4 songs. So, this is actually still a good sign that 1 hour is safe so far.  I'll have more time this weekend to go longer, but I will usually still take a break at least every 2 hours.  I don't have the endurance that I did when I was younger.  

For listening to music I mean 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 5, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #28 of 243

Unfortunately I haven't had time to do longer than a 1 hour at a time listening session, so not long enough for fatigue to set in.  However, with my HD800 and a DACmini I'll start to feel fatigued within 3-4 songs. So, this is actually still a good sign that 1 hour is safe so far.  I'll have more time this weekend to go longer, but I will usually still take a break at least every 2 hours.  I don't have the endurance that I did when I was younger.  

For listening to music I mean 
tongue_smile.gif

Larry, would you say there is any sibilance in the treble?
That's something you notice right away. :]
Thanks.
[Hope I got your name right, if not, sorry
redface.gif
]

Apr 5, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #29 of 243

First of all thanks for your thought and comparison to other cans!

I don’t really understand what you mean by forward midrange. I haven’t notice this on HE500 or compared to LCD3. If I have interpret you right you appears to prefer this forward midrange thing. Is it the frequency of the mids that is emphasized or in the presentation of the mids in the soundstage or something totally different? 

It's all relative, in a soundstage kinda way.  I like an even balance in midrange presence, without an emphasized frequency response.  Some headphones may have a midrange that is distant sounding or sucked out.  Others have a more immediate and intimate sounding midrange, like the HE-5LE and HE-500.  A few will over-do it vs my tastes, like the older Grado RS-2 models.

but I DO NOT LIKE a sucked out midrange.  My Darth Beyers and Stax SR-Lambda Pro 5 years ago were big time offenders in that regard, and they went away rather quickly.  But I also do not seek out headphones that emphasize the midrange too much. Too much midrange often means low volume listening is no longer any fun, or they need to be cranked up to be enjoyed more.  Right now my HE-6 and these HE-560 are two of my best "low-volume" headphones, so the mids are definitely not what I would call forward.  But neither are they hollow and distant like some with too little midrange presence.  

The older HE-5 were just above the point where I would have said the mids were recessed, and that gave them a deep soundstage although with a somewhat nebulous image placement. The HE-5LE went the opposite direction with almost being more forward than I wanted, but at least I was only on the first row of a performance and not in the singer's lap. The HE-500 found a happy middle ground and improved on the focus of the soundstage and image, and the HE-560 stay on those grounds while somehow increasing the soundstage size and out of head cues exponentially.

Apr 5, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #30 of 243
  Larry, would you say there is any sibilance in the treble?
That's something you notice right away. :]
Thanks.
[Hope I got your name right, if not, sorry
redface.gif
]

No sibilance so far, or it would contribute to listening fatigue which I am not experiencing.  There may be a 10Khz peak or so, but nothing in that 6Khz region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back