REVIEW - HiFiMan HE-560 Planar Magnetic Headphones - Stock Headphone Impressions here, No Mods other than cables (Review in Progress)
Oct 9, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #226 of 243
Please,

Could someone could share further information regarding the stock headphone Hifiman HE-560 cable beyond the
"a premium cable comprised of crystalline copper and crystalline silver".

Thanking you in advance.

cartrufer

Well the key word in that sentence was "crystalline", wich I believe means OCC wire, the best quality.
But it's all for nothing,
because of both the short length, and the winding. .
The winding means everything.
The isolation of the strands with rotation(litz) also means everything.

A Litz type twist wich also isolates and coats each strand is best..
The twist means no wire stays in center.. an optimal design (maximum surface to conductor ratio).

Without isolation and winding we don't achieve linear progression of electrons, that always prefer riding the surface of the conductor..
Only a heavier draw forces them to flow thru the center which is usually wasted. (bottleneck effect)

Silver plating takes advantage of this "surface preference" of electron flow,
but without the separation of strands,
they act as "one conductor",
and we have this bottleneck effect with less surface to conductor ratio.

As you can see where I am leading to?
IMHO, A litz type braided cable will have moe "surface to conductor" ratio and thus more linear eletron movement.
While this whole post is my own viewpoint, it is not without merit and is a reason why cables sound different.
Transient attacks and spacial cues "may" make up some of perceptual differences that not easy to measure but affected by cables. ...

4 strands of copper wire and 4 strands of silver wire afaik. So both a silver and a copper cable, actually.

It is a waste to me if its not braided litz. .
:wink:

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #227 of 243
Thank you,
Silver plating takes advantage of this "surface preference" of electron flow,
but without the separation of strands,
they act as "one conductor",
and we have this bottleneck effect with less surface to conductor ratio.

For me this a new interesting approach that I am looking forward to explore.

Regards, cartrufer

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #228 of 243
I'm here at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest and went out to Dinner with Fang Bian and his entourage.  The only headphones I brought with me were HE-560 and V-MODA M-100 portables for when I need a closed phone with isolation.  

I think that says something right there.  In previous years I brought my HD800, LCD-2 rev 2, HE-500, and HE-6 to CanJam, along with a set of portable phones and about 20 IEMs.  Now I'm down to bringing one Audiophile headphone.  I did bring my JH Audio JH16Pro freqphase and Nuforce Primo 8 IEM, so I could make comparisons in that area too.

Dec 26, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #229 of 243
Coming from a Senn HD600 user, I am really curious about the HE-560.. Especially reading that it is the HE-500 that is like "HD600 on crack", will the the upper mid and treble suit to my liking.

Generally I am a midrange guy, only prefer smooth highs. Furthermore, I am searching for a balanced sound with great definition/weight that is pleasurable to listen to in a long period of time.

Dec 26, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #231 of 243
+1, I don't find the 560's treble troubling, unless it's a bad recording. Probably has more to do with listening to a lot of well recorded jazz and classical, and not obscenely engineered classic rock, Grunge back.....ok some.....Do prefer my 560's to the HD650 which are long gone. Also a superior HP to the Alpha Dog, Prime I don't know, would love to try them.

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #234 of 243
Coming from a Senn HD600 user, I am really curious about the HE-560.. Especially reading that it is the HE-500 that is like "HD600 on crack", will the the upper mid and treble suit to my liking.

Generally I am a midrange guy, only prefer smooth highs. Furthermore, I am searching for a balanced sound with great definition/weight that is pleasurable to listen to in a long period of time.

I'd say the biggest difference between HE-500 and HE-560 is the more enveloping larger soundstage, and the stronger bass impact, with increased treble sparkle.  Mids are not prominent like the HE-500, but not lacking either.

I find the HE-560 to be good for long listening sessions without fatigue, same as with my HD-600 HE-6 and HE-500, while my HD-800 can get fatiguing with longer listening sessions.

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #235 of 243

I'd say the biggest difference between HE-500 and HE-560 is the more enveloping larger soundstage, and the stronger bass impact, with increased treble sparkle.  Mids are not prominent like the HE-500, but not lacking either.

I find the HE-560 to be good for long listening sessions without fatigue, same as with my HD-600 HE-6 and HE-500, while my HD-800 can get fatiguing with longer listening sessions.

Thank you for the response.

In the future I am interested to buy another HP that would be classified as "top tier", but hopefully don't have to "break the bank".
I used to think that my next HP would be LCD 2, but after reading this thread I am seriously considering HE-560 since it is not as expensive as the Audeze

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #236 of 243
Thank you for the response.

In the future I am interested to buy another HP that would be classified as "top tier", but hopefully don't have to "break the bank".
I used to think that my next HP would be LCD 2, but after reading this thread I am seriously considering HE-560 since it is not as expensive as the Audeze

dont forget comfort. the new hifiman headphones are much easier to wear than audezes lineup

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #237 of 243
I'm curious about your comment that every household needs both an HE-560 and a TH900. These are the two headphones I'm considering for my next major purchase. How do they compare? I'm particulary interested in bass slam, layering, detail extraction, and fatigue level with subpar recordings. I mostly listen to electronic music.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #238 of 243
I'm curious about your comment that every household needs both an HE-560 and a TH900. These are the two headphones I'm considering for my next major purchase. How do they compare? I'm particulary interested in bass slam, layering, detail extraction, and fatigue level with subpar recordings. I mostly listen to electronic music.

They're very similar actually, in terms of being good in all those areas, but one is closed and so your wife wont complain about the noise leaking out, and you wont have to hear your box fan running during the summer at low listening volume levels.  

Prior to the Denon D7000 going away I would have said that was the closed phone to consider on a budget as best bang for the buck. But D7000 didn't have quite the depth of stage and super-micro-detail of the TH900.  I could see that the D7000 would be the least fatiguing or most forgiving though. Actually, now the MAD DOG Alpha Dog 3D could also fill that spot for the one closed headphone to own if you have a tight budget.

Either one would probably suit you.  For me, an open phone always takes priority, but a closed phone is the next one to buy, and then a custom IEM, before getting more open phones.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #239 of 243

They're very similar actually, in terms of being good in all those areas, but one is closed and so your wife wont complain about the noise leaking out, and you wont have to hear your box fan running during the summer at low listening volume levels.  

Prior to the Denon D7000 going away I would have said that was the closed phone to consider on a budget as best bang for the buck. But D7000 didn't have quite the depth of stage and super-micro-detail of the TH900.  I could see that the D7000 would be the least fatiguing or most forgiving though. Actually, now the MAD DOG Alpha Dog 3D could also fill that spot for the one closed headphone to own if you have a tight budget.

Either one would probably suit you.  For me, an open phone always takes priority, but a closed phone is the next one to buy, and then a custom IEM, before getting more open phones.

...though I heard that the th900 does not noise isolate that well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back