REVIEW: Headstage USB DAC Also Reviewed Meier HEADSIX, iBasso D1 and Headstage Lyrix
Oct 28, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #16 of 82
[edit]

Since I've reviewed both PenguinAmp models, I had discussed doing a review with Robert, and asked to buy one because his website wasn't up for purchasing yet, so I paid for it though eBay.

The eBay amps aren't available as "total" models - they are built in advance to be auctioned and get the word out. They still sound just like the very nice Penguin Caffeine with Bass Boost.

You can now order a total or pro version from the website directly. You can see the price difference there.

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #17 of 82
I just won a Headstage w/DAC at Ebay, and I emailed Robert about getting the Total upgrade. This is what he said:

I am sorry, I only sell the "total" amps through the website. Auction prices are too low to offer the total upgrade (parts aren't cheap).

Kind regards

Robert

Oh well, but I got a DAC and amp combo (as a first amplifier to boot) for a pretty good price so I'm not complaining
biggrin.gif
Looking forward to trying out the amp!

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #18 of 82
I guess it helped that I had emailed Robert in advance, and told him I was doing another review on one of his amps again and wanted to buy one.

I was waiting for a reply with a price because his site wasn't up for selling them yet. Then I discovered them on eBay and bought the test unit, then he replied, then I had to pay extra to get my review unit the way I wanted it originally. This was the first few days they were out.

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #19 of 82
I'll have 150 hours on both the USB external DAC and the USB internal DAC/amp soon.

Then I'll listen again and see what burn-in has done to the two versions of DAC.

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #20 of 82
I am also a recent ebay winner of Headstage amp and I went for the internal DAC. I am curious to know what is the "burn-in" difference in sound between the external and the internal DAC.

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #21 of 82
Thanks for the review. I have a friend looking at the USB-DAC cable and a CMOY for his SR-80s. And I'm looking to add a DAC to my Hornet or replace it with one of the new all-in-ones fed from my Macpro workstation.

Oct 31, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #22 of 82
I am almost at 200 hours, and will start reviewing the the burned in external and internal DAC's tomorrow. I burned in the External DAC on the Meier Headsix, so everything will be at about 200+ hours in the morning.

I expect that the improvement will be even more noticable, since I did test an unburned in DAC vs the iBasso with 100 - 120+ hours on it's DAC (400+ on the amp section - all mentioned in the original review).

For the past week I have been doing almost all my music listening on the macbook, and all of it with the external DAC and headsix for the burn-in. I've forgotten what an iPod sounds like now...

Oct 31, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #23 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by GIGANTOID /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review. I have a friend looking at the USB-DAC cable and a CMOY for his SR-80s. And I'm looking to add a DAC to my Hornet or replace it with one of the new all-in-ones fed from my Macpro workstation.

What is the DAC in the Macpro Workstation, and does it sound good already?

The Macbook one is decent, but not any better than the iPod I'd guess. But, I'd think the Macpro workstaion would have a nicer one like in some of the aftermarket external DAC's we're starting to see more of these days.

Nov 1, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #24 of 82
Okay, with 200 hours on the DAC cable and the Headstage Lyrix, both DACs improved a slight amount over time. My amps have all shown a bigger response to burn-in than the DAC, but while several amps didn't sound great right out of the box, the DACs didn't have flaws that need to be "burned out".

It was a real pain having to run two computers 24 hours a day for music x 8 more days. My wife thought I was nuts. When it was done, I did my listening to both on the Macbook.

Nothing dramatic, but the DACs did open up just a bit more, and are still better than analog. The improvement of the internal DAC of the Lyrix, when AB compaired, was almost the same as the External DAC running into the Lyrix. However, there was just a slight bit more improvement of the internal DAC over time than with the external DAC. This is really hard to test when having to unplug the external DAC at the same time as clicking on the sound control panel selection - but there certainly wasn't any change in volume level going back and forth to serve as a cue or to alter my perception.

The Lyrix amp section however has changed more. The Headstage Lyrix gets closer to the Headsix with more time on it, even when using analog input like the Headsix. From before, the bass (punchy and deep) and treble (smooth without grain) were very much the same; except for the more forward mids of the Headsix bringing you on stage, with the Lyrix placing you in the first row. The Lyrix is becoming a little warmer and closer in the mids, now taking you to the steps up the stage, and the sound is even more transparent now.

Asking the question, "how big is the gap between analog input and DAC input now that they have burned in", I also tested the analog input of the Lyrix - listening for these changes in mids and soundstage placement. The gap is still there and the DACs still sound better than the analog input. But, the analog input sound quality has also improved as well, so I suspect the mids and more forward soundstage changes are in the amp.

The Headsix also has 200+ hours, and it hasn't made a lot of changes either - which it didn't need anyways. It has mainly opened up in the airyness of the soundstage a tiny bit more, and just maybe the bass has a little more impact. The bass is still tight and quick highs are still very smooth without grainyness, and the mids are still forward and rich.

I neglected to test the Headsix with the burned-in DAC cable, because I didn't recognize my flawed logic above. I have insomnia tonight and cant sleep, but I can't test this right now - everyone is asleep and I left my Headsix in my gadget bag in the car. I need to go to bed
redface.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #26 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by only500made /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is intriguing me. maybe robert can upgrade my pro to a total pro? hmm.

The eBay amps are premade with soldered on chips, not sockets. And, the total has different caps and 4-channel circuitry. It would be easier/cheaper/more realistic to sell yours on eBay or here to finance the Total version if you needed it. However, if the non-total version sounds anything like their predecessor, the PenguinAmp Caffeine, it will sound quite fine and hold their own against more costly amps.

However, right now with the excellent baseline performance and the improvements it's showing over time, I am not sure that opamp rolling to anything less than two AD797 on a 2-1 adapter board will be an improvement.
eek.gif

PS: The AD8397 (or a pair of AD797) have enough output that this amp doesnt use or need buffers, so that is one less thing to change.

Nov 3, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #27 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, with 200 hours on the DAC cable and the Headstage Lyrix, both DACs improved a slight amount over time. My amps have all shown a bigger response to burn-in than the DAC, but while several amps didn't sound great right out of the box, the DACs didn't have flaws that need to be "burned out".

It was a real pain having to run two computers 24 hours a day for music x 8 more days. My wife thought I was nuts. When it was done, I did my listening to both on the Macbook.

Nothing dramatic, but the DACs did open up just a bit more, and are still better than analog. The improvement of the internal DAC of the Lyrix, when AB compaired, was almost the same as the External DAC running into the Lyrix. However, there was just a slight bit more improvement of the internal DAC over time than with the external DAC. This is really hard to test when having to unplug the external DAC at the same time as clicking on the sound control panel selection - but there certainly wasn't any change in volume level going back and forth to serve as a cue or to alter my perception.

The Lyrix amp section however has changed more. The Headstage Lyrix gets closer to the Headsix with more time on it, even when using analog input like the Headsix. From before, the bass (punchy and deep) and treble (smooth without grain) were very much the same; except for the more forward mids of the Headsix bringing you on stage, with the Lyrix placing you in the first row. The Lyrix is becoming a little warmer and closer in the mids, now taking you to the steps up the stage, and the sound is even more transparent now.

Asking the question, "how big is the gap between analog input and DAC input now that they have burned in", I also tested the analog input of the Lyrix - listening for these changes in mids and soundstage placement. The gap is still there and the DACs still sound better than the analog input. But, the analog input sound quality has also improved as well, so I suspect the mids and more forward soundstage changes are in the amp.

The Headsix also has 200+ hours, and it hasn't made a lot of changes either - which it didn't need anyways. It has mainly opened up in the airyness of the soundstage a tiny bit more, and just maybe the bass has a little more impact. The bass is still tight and quick highs are still very smooth without grainyness, and the mids are still forward and rich.

I neglected to test the Headsix with the burned-in DAC cable, because I didn't recognize my flawed logic above. I have insomnia tonight and cant sleep, but I can't test this right now - everyone is asleep and I left my Headsix in my gadget bag in the car. I need to go to bed
redface.gif

Okay - I have listened to the Headsix with Headstage external USB DAC which is, as I said above, almost sounding the same as the internal DAC with 200 hours burn-in on each.

I am really enjoying both amplifiers. As I've said before, the Meier Headsix hasn't changed much with burn-in, with the exception of maybe a little more open soundstage and a slight nudge in the bass department. It is an excellent little amp. Using the external DAC it again opens up even more vs analog in, and it is clear the external DAC is doing it's job well.

The Lyrix however, with 200 hours of burn-in, has changed from fantastic sounding (right out of the box) to phenomenal sounding. I am feel it has surpased the RSA Tomahawk (previously was tied) and it is now very very close to the Meier Headsix - a coin toss. It was actually just as good as a Headsix before, but in different ways - they each have their own sound signature, of which I just liked the forward mids a little more. I now need to really spend time with the top three amps this weekend, since the Lyrix has matured so much and they all have over 200 hours on them now.

Also, I could not hear the crossfeed do anything until after burn-in. I sat it down and ran it for another 8 days continuously. Now, over the past two days I can hear it bring some instruments on some recordings closer to the center stage. Still analyzing what I am hearing, and trying more program materials to listen to...

I am working on a full blown amp review, but the ranking as of 10/26/07 being:

1) MEIER CORDA HEADSIX
2) iBasso D1 with OPA2111 LR amp, AD8397 buffers, AD8656 in DAC
3) Headstage Lyrix Total Pro
4) RSA Tomahawk - was previously tied for sound with Lyrix
5) PenguinAmp Caffeine with bass boost - was almost tied with tomahawk for sound
6) iBasso D1 stock

I should know by the end of the weekend if the Lyrix has moved to 1st or 2nd place.

Nov 3, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #28 of 82
I'm very interested to hear the result of your amp tests, HA. I'm tempted to grab myself a caffeine now because my Go-Vibes are acting up, and I've never yet heard the AD8397.

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #29 of 82
Is the Lyrix worth more than the D1 (I think it would cost me round $250 to get a total minus DAC plus psu delivered to the UK with taxes etc.) which, I think, is around the D1's price? Or would the external DAC and a headsix be a better bet for ever so slightly less when taxes are taken into account?

Why they can deliver to the US for less than Europe I don't know as the shipping must be higher and you'd think this would make the prices more equal. Tax vs extra shipping. US outfits always seem to charge more for international shipping.

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #30 of 82
I'm a little surprised the DACs are only 16 bit. Most computer DACs can run at 24 bit. I'm new to this headphone amp thing so perhaps I'm missing something. What would keep Robert from adding a higher resolution DAC?

BTW, I have a Royal amp and really like it. It adds a great dimension to my Zune. I'm planning to buy one of Robert's top-of-the-line Headstages. Glad to know I can't upgrade the EBay units to Total level though. Like many of you, I'd assumed I could do that for another $20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back