REVIEW: Headstage USB DAC Also Reviewed Meier HEADSIX, iBasso D1 and Headstage Lyrix
Nov 28, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #46 of 82
I have recently taken my iBasso D1 to a new level by using an LT6234 on the DAC and a pair of LHM6643 as amp buffers w/ an AD8599.

You could use an LT6241HV or an AD8066 in place of the AD8599 for minor sound changes. Although the AD8599 is my favorite w/ the LHM6643.

I am getting a pair of AD797 to try next.
cool.gif

Good luck.

Dec 28, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #47 of 82
has anyone opamp rolled with the lyrix??? what have you found?

Dec 28, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #48 of 82
I am ashamed to say I haven't yet. I like the sound the way it comes stock, so much that rolling opamps hasn't been a priority.

I might try in the next couple of weeks to put my extra AD797 on a 2:1 browndog adapter, but I am planning on trying that someday in my PIMETA (has AD744 in it) and my SuperMacro 3 as well (which doesn't need the 2:1 adapter).

Dec 28, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #49 of 82
I'm really torn between the lyrix and the ibasso!!! decisions decisions!!! I'm a bit hesitant at the light bass I hear about on the lyrix.

HeadphoneAddict, would you say that the dac in the lyrix is easily trounced by the ibasso? In your review you said that the lyrix dac took awhile to burn in and eventually sounded better. How much better did the lyrix sound with the ibasso dac driving it?

I like the ibasso because of all the inputs and nice dac, but really all I need is a decent headphone amp!

Dec 28, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #50 of 82
If you are mainly going to run the iBasso internal amp (or an external amp) via the DAC most of the time, the MODDED iBasso with upgraded opamps wins (but not stock).

If you are going to feed the amp analog signal most of the time, and you need a smaller portable, the Lyrix wins because it sounds better with analog input than the D1 (if you will never open the D1 to roll the opamps).

I NEVER need to use the bass boost switch on the Lyrix except with my Etymotic ER6i, as it seems to make all the bass I need with the switch off. In fact, it makes too much bass for my Darth Beyers and I had to switch back to the Headsix when listening to those (Headsix helps mellow out the Darth's midbass hump and lifts midrange valley).

It sounds like you need the Lyrix, and then you can throw the best signal at it that you can afford at the moment, be it analog from line out or signal from iBasso D1 DAC, or from Headstage internal or external DAC, etc.

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #51 of 82
hi HeadphoneAddict.
It referred to the review.

I bought Headstage Lyrix Pro USB total.
It has MOVE.
Liking it is Headstage Lyrix Pro USB total.
I think that Lyrix is excellent of USB DAC.
A very good sound is heard in the combination with MacBook Pro.

I wish to express my gratitude for being able to read your review.

Dec 31, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #52 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorotto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi HeadphoneAddict.
It referred to the review.

I bought Headstage Lyrix Pro USB total.
It has MOVE.
Liking it is Headstage Lyrix Pro USB total.
I think that Lyrix is excellent of USB DAC.
A very good sound is heard in the combination with MacBook Pro.

I wish to express my gratitude for being able to read your review.

You are welcome. I am happy you are enjoying your Lyrix. It is a very good amplifier.

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #53 of 82
Does anyone know how the cable DAC compares to M-Audio Revolution and E-Mu 0202? Or to similarly priced (<$100) soundcards and USB DACs?

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #56 of 82
I put the corrected link in one of my other posts, because I didn't want to edit the first one - in case some tries to say I said something else but changed it because I am biased.

May 31, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #57 of 82
Just wanted to add, if you've got the Audio Technica ATH-ES7 for portable use (and if you don't you should get it, it's truckloads of fun, even straight out of an Ipod) get a Microshar uAmp 107b instead of the Headstage Lyrix.

I have the Microshar and bought the Lyrix (non total) about a week ago and the Lyrix just doesn't sound right with the AT: Overblown fat mids that spoil the soundstage and miss the tubey warm textured quality that the Microshar has with the ATs. I would even go so far as to call the the Lyrix a bit gritty on mids, it misses smoothness and refinement. (I guess part of the problem might be that the AT and the Lyrix both emphasize mids). Makes me appreciate all the more how the Microshar sounds. I will let the Lyrix burn in a bit more (15 hours or so up till now) but I don't believe it's gonna change much, and even if it does I doubt it will be sufficient to even get close to the Microshar.

May 31, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #58 of 82
I noticed some harshness that went away in less than 100 hours, so definitely give it more time to burn-in and let me know what you think after running it for several days in a row.

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #59 of 82
Larry (HeadphoneAddict) recently sold me his maxed out Headstage Lyrix USB Pro Total. The only portable amps I've ever experienced have been the Tomahawk and the Hornet in my distant past and the Predator which I still use every day.

Here are just some first impressions based on a few hours of use.

The highs on the Headstage are particularly pleasing, I thought. So often, these portables disappoint a bit on the treble. I think overall that the sound is very up-front, clean, and detailed -- which is what we're looking for. The bass boost gave some very nice, jaw-dropping sub-bass through my UE11 when I tried that... I'm not sure I like the effect as much on these Denon D1000's I'm using now, though -- it's a bit boomy. I didn't try the crossfeed too much -- it didn't have a huge effect on whatever track it was that I tried it on... but that does seem like a welcome feature also.

One thing that I definitely noticed when using this device with my UE11 was that at lower levels, there is a fairly serious channel imbalance. It isn't until I get to about moderate listening levels that they even out. Larry mentioned to me that he uses the Shure attenuator with his IEMs so he can listen at low levels while staying out of the bottom 10% of the volume knob.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with this dac/amp. It sounds very, very nice for the money. (Although I wouldn't buy it for use with IEMs.)

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #60 of 82
Have you reviewed the DAC on the Corda Meier 2Move/3Move?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back