Review: HE-500 - The Seduction of Planars
Mar 15, 2012 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

rroseperry

Headphoneus Supremus
(I want to thank rhythmdevils for letting listen to the HE-500s for a week and showing me his ortho collection.)

Fundamentals
Frequency Response: 15 to 50 KHz
Impedance: 38 Ohm
Efficiency: 89 DB
Weight: 502 g

Where I'm Coming From
These are the first orthos that I've spent any time with. I've listened to LCD2 r2 and even the LCD3 at meets, but rarely for more than a few minutes at a time and always against a noisy background. And tbh, I hadn't been impressed with the Audez'e phones. They have great bass, excellent detail, but I experience a smoothed treble with them. I think this lends them to extended listening sessions; users, especially the treble-sensitive, won't get worn out. But erasing the edge that naturally occurs in music -- the rasp of a bow on strings, a pick hitting steel strings -- makes for a less accurate phone, in my view.

The HE-500s didn't have that problem. They have the crunch (when needed) and they have the detail. They're not a "perfect" phone, but more on that when I get into the details. I don't have a set list of music that I listen to when testing gear. I listen to whatever I'm listening to at the time. I try to spread out among styles and genres, but I can guarantee that if I had it to do over again in a couple of weeks, the list of music below would be different.

Listening Set Ups
iPad and iPod Classic ->Leckerton UHA - 6S
Xonar STX -> Asgard
iPod Classic and iRiver iHP140 (rockboxed) -> iBasso D10

I used both the stock cord and a silver cord that rhythmdevils passed along. There wasn't enough of an obvious difference to remark on. I did run the phones straight out of the Classic a few times, but they really did scale up when used with portable DAC/amps.

First Impressions
It's sort of shocking how silent these things are. It jumps out on acoustic music in particular. These are extremely well suited to low level listening. There's a velvet black background, which makes them outstanding for critical listening sessions. At the same time, that accuracy and clarity makes them less fun.

Specific Listens

What Worked
Alison Krauss - The Scarlet Tide - Cold Mountain Soundtrack The midrange strengths of these phones highlight the clarity of her voice. This is a spare recording and Krauss' voice, cello, piano and harmony seem to hang in spare. Acoustic music does very well, emotion, pathos, suspension in mid space, black the silence (nothing but the cello, the piano and voices) and spare

The Roots - Right On - How I Got Over The HE-500s just barely pass the hip-hop test. The drums go deep enough, but with a certain lack of resonance. The low end seemed dulled, but throughout the rest great detail, percussive snaps and rimshots

Erykah Badu - 20 Feet Tall - New Amerykah - More hip-hop, this track has an interesting combinations of therimin/electronic sounds, electric piano, and strings that all come through sounding accurate and balanced. The detail in the phones is so good that I can hear the slight processing on Badu's voice which I hadn't noticed before.

Davitt Moroney - Contrapunctus 13 with three voices - The Art of the Fugue - Harpsichord can be hard for phones. They naturally ring, have high sharp trebles, and percussive attacks. I didn't notice any problems with harshness or sibilance, but I wasn't engaged either. There was something a little too cool about the way this piece sounded through these phones, though I would ordinarily recommend them for classical music like:

Steve Reich - Fast - WTC 9/11: Mallet Quartet , Again a spare recording where the midrange, where the mallets live, shines. Here that sense of air works with the recording and the instruments, especially the bass gong drone throughout. Another good classical match was the SF Symphony's recording of Ives/Brant: A Concord Symphony II Hawthorne With symphonic works, the instrument placing is accurate, though there's not a huge soundstage. This piece has a lot of atmospheric delicacy which the phones transmit transparently.

Soulfege - Trapped in My Heart - AFropolitan This recording has wonderful vocals. The phones gave a clear separation of voices, including a gut-rumbling bass harmony

What Didn't Work
Although the HE-500 were ok with hip-hop, they weren't very good with 20th century R&B. This may be where recording styles have changed, but music from the 70s although full of detail, sounded thin. Electronica was also not the greatest, imo, with a little less bass than I (no basshead) would have liked. This was especially true with a tune like Skin Divers' - 29 Rivers Remix. This is old school drum n bass, the bass is there, but the airness intrinsic to the phones doesn't altogether work in a genre that's usually pretty dense and where space isn't being reproduced from some "real" world performance.

What Matters
Orthos are detail monsters. As a result, they're unforgiving of source. Low resolution or poorly mastered recordings really suffered. Also, unlike some other phones, I rarely lost myself in the music as I listened to the phones. Partly it's all that detail. I found the experience less holistic than with other headphones, I found myself focusing on minutiae. But the other thing that kept me from just enjoying the music is the fit. These are heavy cans, with an uncomfortable clamp. I wish that ortho makers would work out a better suspension system for these things.

Are they worth it? For the sound, yes, no question. But I don't think I could live with them

Mar 15, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 17
I love these phones, hope to own them one day....the review itself was very accurate imo. The only thing holding me back from buying them is one of your last points, which is VERY true..these are incredibly unforgiving of the source, which is unfortunate for some and amazing for others because of the level of detail. 

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 17
The WEIRDEST part for me with the HE-500 is that they sound awful with the OCC copper wires of the HE-6s, but sound great with the silver non-OCC wires that come standard.  

Anyone else have some insight into this?

Mar 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 17
Nice read.  I think you'll find the headphone improve quite a bit with a nicer source and amplifier as well.  

Just by looking at your equipment though, I feel that it has effected somewhat your opinion of the 'phones.  I think you'd be surprised what the HE-500 is capable of with an improved setup.

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 17
Nice read.  I think you'll find the headphone improve quite a bit with a nicer source and amplifier as well.  

Just by looking at your equipment though, I feel that it has effected somewhat your opinion of the 'phones.  I think you'd be surprised what the HE-500 is capable of with an improved setup.

If it wasn't clear, I really liked the phones wrt sound, with a few exceptions. What I don't like and remains the deal breaker, is the fit.

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 17
The fit was a problem for me too.  I had to do a headband mod where I added some sennheiser padding.

Jul 7, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 17
How would they sound with the Canare that comes with the HE400? Do you have any HE500 experience with Cardas or CablePro cables? The braided silver cables are sensitive to contact- the sound travels to the drivers. This is no problem if I sit still but that is situational. The headphones are full of surprises; listening as adventure. I have Grado r2's; the cable is silent and obviously better damped than HiFiMan's. The thinking  is: use Canare or Cardas or CablePro because they are better damped, not because I dislike the supplied cable for its musical properties.Headphone Bar sold me the phones and they are hoping to help without putting me to further expense. Much appreciated.

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #9 of 17
How would they sound with the Canare that comes with the HE400? Do you have any HE500 experience with Cardas or CablePro cables? The braided silver cables are sensitive to contact- the sound travels to the drivers. This is no problem if I sit still but that is situational. The headphones are full of surprises; listening as adventure. I have Grado r2's; the cable is silent and obviously better damped than HiFiMan's. The thinking  is: use Canare or Cardas or CablePro because they are better damped, not because I dislike the supplied cable for its musical properties.Headphone Bar sold me the phones and they are hoping to help without putting me to further expense. Much appreciated.

Honestly, I have no idea. They were (as you'll see from the review) a loan and I only listened to them with the cables they came with. I personally think the effect of cables (if functional) is minimal, but YMMV.

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
What Matters
Orthos are detail monsters. As a result, they're unforgiving of source. Low resolution or poorly mastered recordings really suffered. Also, unlike some other phones, I rarely lost myself in the music as I listened to the phones. Partly it's all that detail. I found the experience less holistic than with other headphones, I found myself focusing on minutiae.

Interestingly, my experience is almost the exact opposite. I agree that HE-500 is extremely detailed - probably the most detailed headphone I've ever heard - but at the same time still sounds really good with low bitrate tracks, weak sources, and is still highly rich, involving and very, very coherent overall despite the insane resolution. "Thin" would probably be the last word on my mind to describe HE-500 sound. I heard about quality control issues with Hifiman cans though (channel impedance mismatches, etc) and it may well be that your pair deviates from the ideal HE-500 specs too much and thus performs worse than it should. But also considering how much our tastes and ears vary, it is really hard to say why we hear these headphones so differently. I say give them some more time - they may grow on you more.

Great review BTW.

Jul 8, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Interestingly, my experience is almost the exact opposite. I agree that HE-500 is extremely detailed - probably the most detailed headphone I've ever heard - but at the same time still sounds really good with low bitrate tracks, weak sources, and is still highly rich, involving and very, very coherent overall despite the insane resolution. "Thin" would probably be the last word on my mind to describe HE-500 sound. I heard about quality control issues with Hifiman cans though (channel impedance mismatches, etc) and it may well be that your pair deviates from the ideal HE-500 specs too much and thus performs worse than it should. But also considering how much our tastes and ears vary, it is really hard to say why we hear these headphones so differently. I say give them some more time - they may grow on you more.

Great review BTW.

I'd agree with that, I'd compare them to the 650's in that respect. Before I got the he500's I used to avoid listening to my old jazz recordings (K702's), now everything sounds good!

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 17
Darn now I want these even more! The main deal-breaker for me is that the amp required to drive these guys cost at least the same amount. 
redface.gif

Probably will pick these up sometime in the future though.

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
Darn now I want these even more! The main deal-breaker for me is that the amp required to drive these guys cost at least the same amount. 
redface.gif

nope.  many amps sound great.  Plenty of people report being happy with even the O2 which is like what, 100 bucks?  I can't personally compare but I've been using the LD Mk II for probably 4 months while waiting for my decware taboo and well, I've been really happy with it.  It's only around 250mw or so, and plenty of detail and emotion comes through.

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

nope.  many amps sound great.  Plenty of people report being happy with even the O2 which is like what, 100 bucks?  I can't personally compare but I've been using the LD Mk II for probably 4 months while waiting for my decware taboo and well, I've been really happy with it.  It's only around 250mw or so, and plenty of detail and emotion comes through.

I'd agree with that too! (being very agreeable today) But it's true, they will sound better with more power (about 1 watt) but not as much as some peeps tend to think. I'm hearing a big change in dynamics at about the 50hr mark that didn't show out of the box. At first I really thought they will need loads o power to open up, but it's not true. They just need time! I have quite a few amps from cmoy, hybrid to OTL and the only one I would avoid with these would be my powerful OTL as they need the current.
On a budget I'd recommend the LD1+ or the M stage, more than enough power to make these sing happily.  

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
redface.gif

Not entirely true.  How portable does your amp need to be?  I drive mine with full-sized Yamaha stereo gear.  The headphone stage is quite good sounding and I have speaker taps for a backup if desire.  The DAC functions are performed by my Squeezebox players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back