[Review] Future Sonics MG6PRO Ear Monitors: Dynamic Driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors
May 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #871 of 1,181
Quote:
[size=12.0pt]What I ([/size][size=12.0pt]shotgunshane)[/size][size=12.0pt] can tell you about the signature of the MG6pro is this- it has a great sense and feeling of power unlike anything I've heard in an IEM before. It really moves a lot of air for an in ear monitor. ... [/size][size=12pt]The MG6Pro produces bass. It's an exciting and very [/size][size=12pt]addictive trait.[/size]

Completely agree, well said. More powerful, impactful, yet controlled of any IEM / headphone I've heard.

[size=12pt]This description is from another head-fier but perfectly describes the power, bass and air movement of the MG6Pro: Most IEMs reproduce the sound of bass, rather than produce bass itself. [/size]

I'd like to elaborate and mention that the difference you are hearing is a bloat the MG6Pro adds to the bass that really gives it some meat. It's fun, powerful, and definitely addictive. Other IEMs, specifically BAs, in my opinion are slightly more accurate, and relay the texture of the bass better without it being lost in the bloat of the MG6Pro. Don't take my use of the word "bloat" to be negative. It's just different. And I'm glad I own both. I can EQ my ES5 to hit pretty damn hard and low, no doubt. But still, it takes EQ most of the time. 

May 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #872 of 1,181
Wow the bass is deep! Have my EQ set to pound the bass. Here is my EQ setting on the DX100 (from left to right): +7,+6,+3,+2,+1,+1,+2,+4. Med gain volume at 221. Whitesnake - Still Of The Night Flac! Now Metallica - Wherever I May Roam 24 bit/96! MG6Pro pounding hard and clean!

May 13, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #873 of 1,181
Over whelming bass and sub bass but very interesting the mid and highs are so clear and detailed. I am able to hear every word sung and even the fingers moving on the guitar! Jaw bone vibrating.

May 15, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #874 of 1,181
Does the MG6pro have an ambient noise control feature??? Also, for the bass control, when you use the larger more open inserts and the bass increases, does that let in more ambient noise than the sealed? Or is the bass control and ambient the same exact feature?

May 15, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #875 of 1,181
I mainly use the bigger vents and bigger is like the size of the head of a pin needle very small so when I have them in and the music off I cannot hear what people are saying and I have to remove one ear piece to be able to hear them. The only time I hear outside noise would be if it becomes very very windy and then I can feel. hear something but this only happens like 2% of the time. I walk and take trains everyday which takes me between 2.5 hrs and more (45 minutes walking and many times in the rain). The vents are there to allow the woofer(driver) move freely and thus push more or less air like a home woofer. If you put the small vent or some can even seal it completely, then less air is being moved and the bass is not as intense. The medium vent has the right balance and the biggest vent allows the bass to hit hard and very low. No matter what vent is in place the bass will not over shadow the mids and highs but will work as a team. You will be able to hear and feel the bass. Big vent my jaw bone will vibrate and it sounds very nice while at the same time I am able to hear every word being sung and even hear the singer breath.
Quote:
Does the MG6pro have an ambient noise control feature??? Also, for the bass control, when you use the larger more open inserts and the bass increases, does that let in more ambient noise than the sealed? Or is the bass control and ambient the same exact feature?

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #877 of 1,181
mine just arrived, burning them in as i type

i believe in burn in now. they sound pretty dirty, it doesnt sound clean at all. i can tell they are wayyy more capable than my W3's or SE530's, but yeah, dirty would be the word correct word.

probably will have to send them back for a refit, soon as i smile i lose seal. 

;( im okay with this though, knew it going in. 

EDIT : after about 1 hour of burn in via burn in app white noise + 20 min of pink noise , the difference in bass is like night and day.

and wow do these things have bass. they do not screw around down low. they are sooo much more resolving than previous iems ive used.

did i mention i love this bass? holy s***. THATS what i wanted out of a earphone. at first listen it was wrong, but already after just one hour its phenomenal 

in comparison to W3's, A/Bing at this stage, theres still much more cleanliness to the W3's. im hoping it really cleans up on the MG6.

W3's bass doesnt even touch the MG6 though, its not close, man i thought the W3's bass was great, but it just falls well short. 

letting them burn in all night , ill check back in the morning.

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #878 of 1,181
Congrats on the purchase, and glad they're keeping up with your original expectations. Unfortunately burn in is not going to bring about the sort of cleanliness you noted which is there by nature in a triple balanced armature IEM. They're different ways of going about making sound, and as such have differing overal sonic personalities. I agree the MG6Pro's sound sort of muddled compared to something like the Westones (I have a pair of W4's on loan and have also been making that comparison), but I do find all the detail is there, just perhaps without that utmost feeling of separation the BA drivers give you. What I like about the MG6Pro's, that the Westones could never hope to achieve, is that connected, visceral feeling to their sound.

Hope you keep enjoying.

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #879 of 1,181
well i've noticed so far, i had the volume up too loud, with the BA's i'm so used to cranking them up loud enough to really hear all the detail and feel the bass. (i confess)

with these, i don't have to. so i just adjusted the volume and now its fine. but i notice straight away when i turn the volume back up to that really loud level, certain songs really muddy, and when i turn it back down to an appropriate level its clean. so its just different in that sense, and it only happens on some songs (florence and the machine, lungs, quite a few tracks on that album). it actually happens with the BA's as well, but not nearly as bad. 

its easily more resolving (more detail, etc) than either my 530 or W3. i completely agree with the connected feeling of the sound. i got used that disjointedness with the 530's and W3's, and it irks on you after a while, these are just so beautiful in that department. its just all as one. coherent sound. and bass that makes you salivate. 

needless to say, after sussing it out, im happy. i will say though, diminishing returns is no joke. it's clearly better but not leagues ahead of my previous universals realistically. (W3/SE530) 

also not sure if i need a refit or not, i lose seal when i smile wide, a tiny bit in the left, a little bit more in the right, and it goes back when i stop smiling and is fine. otherwise chewing, chewing, talking, eating, its fine. does yours keep sealed when you smile?

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #880 of 1,181
Quote:
well i've noticed so far, i had the volume up too loud, with the BA's i'm so used to cranking them up loud enough to really hear all the detail and feel the bass. (i confess)

with these, i don't have to. so i just adjusted the volume and now its fine. but i notice straight away when i turn the volume back up to that really loud level, certain songs really muddy, and when i turn it back down to an appropriate level its clean. so its just different in that sense, and it only happens on some songs (florence and the machine, lungs, quite a few tracks on that album). it actually happens with the BA's as well, but not nearly as bad. 

its easily more resolving (more detail, etc) than either my 530 or W3. i completely agree with the connected feeling of the sound. i got used that disjointedness with the 530's and W3's, and it irks on you after a while, these are just so beautiful in that department. its just all as one. coherent sound. and bass that makes you salivate. 

needless to say, after sussing it out, im happy. i will say though, diminishing returns is no joke. it's clearly better but not leagues ahead of my previous universals realistically. (W3/SE530) 

also not sure if i need a refit or not, i lose seal when i smile wide, a tiny bit in the left, a little bit more in the right, and it goes back when i stop smiling and is fine. otherwise chewing, chewing, talking, eating, its fine. does yours keep sealed when you smile?

It's my first set of customs too. I think the fit with my set is borderline. A really big smile does slightly dislodge the right earpiece, left side holds fine. I've always had worse fit issues on my right ear though, no matter what type of earphone I'm using. So I'm inclinded to leave well enough alone because I wouldn't want to risk making things worse. 

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #881 of 1,181
How are the MG6Pro in Terms of Soundstage and Imaging ? Does the Treble/Midrange opened up after some Burn-in ?
I ordered one myself to get something different as the Jh16 i´m using with my Ipod/Fostex HP-P1.

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #882 of 1,181
Quote:
How are the MG6Pro in Terms of Soundstage and Imaging ? Does the Treble/Midrange opened up after some Burn-in ?
I ordered one myself to get something different as the Jh16 i´m using with my Ipod/Fostex HP-P1.

I've not heard the JH16s but I've had the MG6Pro and they require some burn-in. The mid-bass does seem to make the mids a bit recessed. I had used a bite-block and smiled a little during the impressions and had a great fit from the start. Lost them with my Fiio E17 on a flight. I miss the sound but really prefer the convenience of universals.

They get better and better with time. I would label them as dark, but that's my preference in all good things...

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #883 of 1,181
it's my first custom, but compared to SE530 and W3, soundstage is better, bigger than both, also a lot more "airer" ie more realistic. on the W3 and SE530, it sounds less real. hard to describe and very slight.

i couldnt tell a great difference between 1 hour burn in and leaving them on all night. and by great difference i mean, a decernable difference. more to the point, my brain is accustomed to it so it would be subjective, and im not sure myself if theres a difference.

from zero to one hour burn in was blatently obvious, i didnt let myself get adjusted to them either, just played the same track once, and it was a night and day difference.

overall, i definately enjoy them more. they are like a W3, but better in every respect and without the crappy midbass of the W3 that pisses me off.

for a few tracks i do prefer SE530 vocals, they are even more special to me now and i wont get rid of them, but they sound sooooo lean compared to the MG6pro.. oh well, can't have everything perfect.

happy customer. still unsure of fit though.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #884 of 1,181
Quote:

I just wanted to say that these are some nice notes on the MG6Pro's sound. It's great that you hear how resolving the MG6Pro is and also the coherent nature of it's single dynamic driver sound versus a multiple BA set-up. When you have the real bass feel of a dynamic, you don't really need to turn up the volume--so you save your ears--that's pretty much the Future Sonics sound philosophy in a nutshell.

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #885 of 1,181
Quote:
 does yours keep sealed when you smile?

My ears continue to enjoy the effects of burn-in after 200 hours and beyond. Keep 'em burning. Play around with a silver cable too when you get a chance. And I know it's hard to keep from smiling when you're listening, but smiling changes up the whole interior of your ear canal. If you're getting a good seal without smiling, not sure I would worry about it.... unless you walk around with a perma-smile, which is completely possible with these things. Love your comment, "The things don't screw around down low" hahaha, no they don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back