[Review] Future Sonics MG6PRO Ear Monitors: Dynamic Driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors
Apr 29, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #811 of 1,181
Yeah, this thread is massively off-topic.  I was not implying that musicians all have terrible hearing, that they all directly endorse earphone manufacturers or that Future Sonics does anything differently than anyone else in the business.  I was stating that I have noticed, at times, world-famous rock stars performing without ear protection and almost certainly having their name attached to someone earphones (probably without even knowing it).  I shouldn't have even made the post given it had nothing to do with the mg6pro to which this thread is devoted.  

My bad.  I'm wrong, you're right, whatever, so let's get back on topic!

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #812 of 1,181
Quote:
Yeah, this thread is massively off-topic.  I was not implying that musicians all have terrible hearing, that they all directly endorse earphone manufacturers or that Future Sonics does anything differently than anyone else in the business.  I was stating that I have noticed, at times, world-famous rock stars performing without ear protection and almost certainly having their name attached to someone earphones (probably without even knowing it).  I shouldn't have even made the post given it had nothing to do with the mg6pro to which this thread is devoted.  

My bad.  I'm wrong, you're right, whatever, so let's get back on topic!

No worries at all. I just thought it was neat that Les Paul had direct input (among others) into how the Atrio sounds. The late, great Les Paul is a direct part of why the Atrio sounds great. I also brought up some places where it could be improved for the next iteration.

Meanwhile, I was listening to some Ton Koopman directed Bach Cantatas on the MG6Pro today and it was beautiful.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #815 of 1,181
[size=12.0pt]What I ([/size][size=12.0pt]shotgunshane)[/size][size=12.0pt] can tell you about the signature of the MG6pro is this- it has a great sense and feeling of power unlike anything I've heard in an IEM before. It really moves a lot of air for an in ear monitor. This description is from another head-fier but perfectly describes the power, bass and air movement of the MG6Pro: Most IEMs reproduce the sound of bass, rather than produce bass itself. The MG6Pro produces bass. It's an exciting and very [/size][size=12.0pt]addictive trait.[/size]

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #816 of 1,181
Quote:
I mean it was another part of the phone conversation.

So tell us now. 
tongue.gif

May 1, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #822 of 1,181
Quote:
I also brought up some places where it could be improved for the next iteration. Same with the MG6Pro.

What are those places? What do you think could be done to improve on the MG6Pro? Your official review of its sound is 100% positive. Even your only sound-related "con" isn't really a con:

Quote:
Cons: Natural, balanced sound may not be for those who prefer a colored or boosted sound, isolation can be good, but with vents open it loses a few decibles

"Natural, balanced sound" is obviously not a con, in itself, whatever individual preferences may be. In truth, when you wrote those words, you knew that most audiophiles would consider this "con" a pro, so it's just a way to say that the MG6Pro's only sound-related "con" is really a pro -- i.e. that it is more than perfect. Unless you believe that changing this aspect of the MG6Pro would make it better, you can't call it a con; but now you mention in this thread that some aspects of the MG6Pro really could be improved on, but that you only pointed them out to Future Sonics. Why?

May 1, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #823 of 1,181

Quote:

What are those places? What do you think could be done to improve on the MG6Pro? Your official review of its sound is 100% positive. Even your only sound-related "con" isn't really a con:

"Natural, balanced sound" is obviously not a con, in itself, whatever individual preferences may be. In truth, when you wrote those words, you knew that most audiophiles would consider this "con" a pro, so it's just a way to say that the MG6Pro's only sound-related "con" is really a pro -- i.e. that it is more than perfect. Unless you believe that changing this aspect of the MG6Pro would make it better, you can't call it a con; but now you mention in this thread that some aspects of the MG6Pro really could be improved on, but that you only pointed them out to Future Sonics. Why?

On the con-trary... many audiophiles like an unnatural sound. Look carefully at glowing reviews and you'll see people often describing a sound that isn't natural at all. Some people like a very bright sound or a very warm sound, unnaturally separated, etc. People have criticized the 8.A in PMs with me in private, "This is too smooth, I want edgy", so even harshness is a virtue to some. One of the things Marty pointed out was that if you listen to live music and then go to the MG6Pro, it'll sound right (and I agree). When one's ears are used to some other earphone, it may take a time to adjust to the MG6Pro's sound, you see the difference? Plus, there can always be poor matches with a dap/amp and any given earphone. I really like the MG6Pro, however, I disagree that my review is 100% positive as no earphone is perfect for everyone for the reasons I just mentioned. It's almost perfect for me, however, that doesn't mean I won't listen to other earphones because it's fun to try different products.

As for what I said, I think you're reading into it that there are secret issues that I haven't mentioned in my review--you're sorta implying I was disingenuous in the review, n'est-ce pas? (It's Music_4321's job to read poor intentions into my posts, the head-fi union rep will be contacting you shortly
wink_face.gif
) I only mean that it's interesting to talk to a company owner about how his products will evolve. For the MG6Pro, I'm thinking about how the MG4+ driver was said to sound (I've never had a chance to hear it, but I've discussed the changes from it to the MG6Pro with a pro audio engineer as well as Mr. Garcia) and where that will evolve with the next gen in a few years from now.

For the Atrio, Marty and I were more specific about its sound--he and I hear it the same way. The next gen Atrio may have a little more at 12khz or so--a bit of air.

May 1, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #824 of 1,181

Quote:
compared to JH13? equal but has more warmth and more bass if so desired.

I forgot you had another custom. Very interesting comparison, thanks.

May 1, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #825 of 1,181
Quote:
On the con-trary... many audiophiles like an unnatural sound. Look carefully at glowing reviews and you'll see people often describing a sound that isn't natural at all. Some people like a very bright sound or a very warm sound, unnaturally separated, etc. People have criticized the 8.A in PMs with me in private, "This is too smooth, I want edgy", so even harshness is a virtue to some. One of the things Marty pointed out was that if you listen to live music and then go to the MG6Pro, it'll sound right (and I agree). When one's ears are used to some other earphone, it may take a time to adjust to the MG6Pro's sound, you see the difference? Plus, there can always be poor matches with a dap/amp and any given earphone. I really like the MG6Pro, however, I disagree that my review is 100% positive as no earphone is perfect for everyone for the reasons I just mentioned. It's almost perfect for me, however, that doesn't mean I won't listen to other earphones because it's fun to try different products.

Still, "balanced and natural" cannot be classified as a con, even if some people prefer a more colored sound. It isn't a con for you (so why should you list it as one?) and wouldn't be con for most audiophiles. It really feels like saying, "even its con is a pro!"

As for what I said, I think you're reading into it that there are secret issues that I haven't mentioned in my review--you're sorta implying I was disingenuous in the review, n'est-ce pas? I only mean that it's interesting to talk to a company owner about how his products will evolve. For the MG6Pro, I'm thinking about how the MG4+ driver was said to sound (I've never had a chance to hear it, but I've discussed the changes from it to the MG6Pro with Marty) and where that will evolve with the next gen in a few years from now.

That's a little different from what you said: I also brought up some places where it could be improved for the next iteration. Same with the MG6Pro.

According to those words, you brought up (to Marty/FS) aspects of both the MG7 and MG6Pro that could be improved on. But you hadn't mentioned any such aspects in your review. So my question wasn't implying anything; it was really very direct.

For the Atrio, Marty and I were more specific about its sound--he and I hear it the same way. The next gen Atrio may have a little more at 12khz or so--a bit of air.

Really? I don't have any problem with it at 12 kHz. It's between 12 and 16 kHz (according to this test) that I hear a roll-off. According to this other test, I can hear with the MG7 up to 15kHz (while I can hear up to 16 kHz with the 4.A). Still, I can't say I find the MG7 muffled. It's actually a very well-balanced IEM (I hear it flat between 125 Hz and 1 kHz), with great bass extension and slam, without being bass heavy (at the moderate volumes I listen).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back