[Review] Future Sonics MG6PRO Ear Monitors: Dynamic Driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors
Feb 13, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #631 of 1,181

I haven't heard Cowon DAPs and I'm not anywhere close to a sophisticated audiophile, but my impression is that, with a good amp (presuming you have good drivers to amp), there's much less distortion, which creates a much more defined, specific, clean sound - delivering it much more accurately at any actual volume of listening.  As an example, when I listen to my mg6pro through my SR-71B in balanced mode, at what I consider equivalent volumes, compared to running it straight out of my iPod nano without an external amp, it sounds immensely more dynamic and powerful.
Quote:
Nice, the biggest vent really opens the sound stage up a lot and more air is being felt especially on hard  sub bass electro and breaks. Feels like a ear massage or warm rolling bass. I have been thinking of a portable amp even though this Cowon has some good power. Maybe a amp will allow the bass to be pushed better man my ears are ringing from the amount of bass even though my ears have continiously been ringing for the past 20 yrs. Now they are ringing louder.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #632 of 1,181
Amping will never hurt the sound. Ipods have no power and no real way to control bass, meds and highs. They look pretty and easy to play with.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #636 of 1,181

I would like to add my humble opinion. Im 45 and been a buyer of car, home and portable stereo equipment since 1986. I spent a lot on my home equipment with Klipsch floor standing woofers, car stereo systems with eight 12 inch woofers. Since moving to Hong Kong i have bought Shure 530, 535, Westong 2 and 3, UE 5 pro,  TripleFi 10, Atrios, Jh 13 Pro and now I have the Future Sonics MG6Pro and I can say it has woofers in them shells with big wide and deep rolling balls of bass hitting my ears that I can feel. If I run into another pair from any brand that can beat these I will try my best to get them but for now I am very pleased with the bass and of course the meds and highs are top notch but so are many of the other earphones I have but they cant match the bass on the MG6Pros.

Quote:
Dear Mr Kunlun,

It is one year since you started this thread.

Here's hoping that hype and fanboyism don't plague this thread!  :wink:

Although I don't see myself getting another set of customs in the foreseeable future, so far, the MG6Pro remains one of the two I would consider if I did.

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #637 of 1,181

Quote:
I received this statement from a Future Sonics MG6Pro user "I don't know if you've made your decision yet, but you want the MG6Pros. The low end is pretty stupendous. I use mine for monitoring on stage. I play bass. I need bass and I like bass that feels like it's coming out of the ground. Last Saturday night I played the Boulder Theater, which has some ridiculously huge (7 feet?) subwoofer cabs that are deep and tight. The MG6Pros were at least as good sounding, if not better. I have an EQ called an Alembic Superfilter, which is a state variable filter that can sweep down to a center frequency (or cutoff for a low pass, or cutoff for a high pass) of 45 hz with additional resonance available. Usually when I boost down there past a certain point, it craps out IEMs, speakers, subs, etc. The MG6Pro just rolls with it.

I also work as a location recording engineer and have been on a search for good headphones to use on location that reproduce low end and seal well. My previous choice has been the Beyerdynamic DT770s (which kept blowing drivers) and ATH-M50s. The Future Sonics make them sound incredibly wimpy in comparison." Sounds pretty good to me.

So, did I steer you wrong? :)

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #638 of 1,181
Not at all, I totally agree with your statement and wanted others who are curious to know. I and I feel most of the people searching for the right earphones have spent a lot of time, money and emotions trying to find it. If I knew earlier I would have saved  alot (Money, Time, and Emotions). The Future Sonics MG6Pro should be one of two earphones in every collection. The rolling balls of bass has become a huge rolling Tsunami wave hitting my ears as the burn in time has progressed.

Quote:
So, did I steer you wrong? :)

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #640 of 1,181

Quote:
I finally placed my order today and ship off impressions tomorrow. 

So when can we expect the Merlin vs MG6Pro review?
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #643 of 1,181
I've had mine for months, absolutely love them, and have never played with the vents since I first got them - they sounded perfect to me and I had no interest in messing with the sound by making it bass-heavy.  After some of the recent posts here, though, I got curious and put in the big vents.  I'm fascinated by the result.  It didn't do what I thought it would; I'd say that it's changed the character of the bass more than just made it "more."  There's more subbass and the timbre is different - an alteration of the texture of the sound.  It sounds very good and authentic to me, not the EQ-messing-about I was expecting.  It's also definitely opened up the soundstage and made it more airy.  I really like it.  Live music, especially, sounds very real.  Who knew.

I'm not going to swear to this, but I think they also needed to burn-in/settle down some after the vents changed.  It could easily be me getting used to the new sound, but I actually think it was them.

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #645 of 1,181

Quote:
- anybody has experience with pairing the mg6pros with any more midcentric amps? guess i'm more suited to a more midcentric sound sig (=

I have the TTVJ Slim, that's a warm, but still detailed, portable amp. It's quite nice and makes a good synergy with the MG6Pro if one likes a midcentric sound, I'd say. The MG6Pro have a nice balance that does bring out the mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back