[Review] Future Sonics MG6PRO Ear Monitors: Dynamic Driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors
Aug 16, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #361 of 1,181
Sounding good. I'd agree the Sony's are slighty tipped towards the treble end b/c I eq them below 1000k to warm them up just a bit and it adds a little thicker sounding midrange.

If I'm going to jump in, I just want to make sure I check all the boxes I'm looking for.
Full and weighty bottom end with great sub bass extension - check
Transparency across the spectrum - check
Large soundstage - check
A sense of air in the teble - sounds like I can check this one too? I'd love for it to be as airy as the Sony's but it's ok if it's not, as long as there is still air. For instance, the W4 has highly detailed, non fatiguing treble but Zero air. I don't want that...

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #362 of 1,181

Quote:
I'm surprised that burn-in did this for you! That's amazing, I really didn't notice much change with my set and comparing to a new set of drivers--I mean, they were different and better with burn-in but not as large a change as you've experienced. Huh, well, I'll be dipped in caramel (take forever to get it out of my fur). Based on what you were hearing, I was sure there was a serious fit issue, but you've seem to have come to hear the MG6Pro pretty much as it seems like it sounds to me and the others. Great news. It'll probably open up a bit more as you go. And it sounds like you've got the hang of the fit.

Well I think it's a combination of everything really. Getting better adjusted to their fit, knowing where they're supposed to sit in your ear canals, as well as the sound opening up with burn in. Now they just sound... ummm.... 'monitor-like'. Which I suppose is what the intention is! And of course there's that bass.....

Quote:
Waiting for impressions of the bass!
L3000.gif

Heh, well, that's the gravy on it all! What else is there to be said about FS's bass? With the MG6Pro's it's just so effortless, huge, extended, and present in everything. Like a bedrock foundation to all music material. When it's there in the recording, man is it there! And that's without any bleed into the rest of the range. I guess I haven't said anything about it because that's the real known strength of them. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #363 of 1,181

Quote:
Sounding good. I'd agree the Sony's are slighty tipped towards the treble end b/c I eq them below 1000k to warm them up just a bit and it adds a little thicker sounding midrange.

If I'm going to jump in, I just want to make sure I check all the boxes I'm looking for.
Full and weighty bottom end with great sub bass extension - check oh my yes, but adjustable for a leaner bottom if you like that
Transparency across the spectrum - check  yes
Large soundstage - check  yes
A sense of air in the teble - sounds like I can check this one too? I'd love for it to be as airy as the Sony's but it's ok if it's not, as long as there is still air. For instance, the W4 has highly detailed, non fatiguing treble but Zero air. I don't want that...stage monitor, so it's not boosted but there's definitely treble energy for chimes, soprano voices, violins, etc to have that resonance they should. I find tracks that have sharp treble are reproduced accurately, but without any extra harshness added.

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #364 of 1,181

Quote:
Actually Joker's will be first.  I'll save mine for last if at all.  Since I'm handling the program I feel a sort of conflict of interest and don't want to inject any potential bias either way.

Btw, I don't think you should save yours for last. You are one of the few people I really trust to talk about crossover artifacts, to say nothing of change of driver design artifacts. Coherency is a huge issue with hybrid designs. Naturally, I hang on your every word, but maybe the idea that you'd "inject bias" (the name of your band) might be ever so slightly overstating your omnipotent sway here on head-fi.

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #366 of 1,181

Quote:
Heh, well, that's the gravy on it all! What else is there to be said about FS's bass? With the MG6Pro's it's just so effortless, huge, extended, and present in everything. Like a bedrock foundation to all music material. When it's there in the recording, man is it there! And that's without any bleed into the rest of the range. I guess I haven't said anything about it because that's the real known strength of them. 

I suppose I'm looking for comparisons to bass I am familiar with in the IEMs and headphones we have both owned. E.g Pro900, IE8, FX700, MMD, MTPC and of course the Atrio.

Also have you had a chance to play around with the vent sizes?

@Somnambulist - Are you not keen to wait for more Merlin reviews before deciding 100% which custom to get?

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #367 of 1,181

Quote:
Well, that's good enough for me! Once I've had a couple of pay slips from this new job, you can count me on the prospective owners list.... unless they come out with a new model soon!

This is the new model!

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #368 of 1,181

Quote:

I suppose I'm looking for comparisons to bass I am familiar with in the IEMs and headphones we have both owned. E.g Pro900, IE8, FX700, MMD, MTPC and of course the Atrio.

@Somnambulist - Are you not keen to wait for more Merlin reviews before deciding 100% which custom to get?

Third post in the thread has some of that.

To be fair to the Merlin, it's not UM's flagship and they moved the vent away from where it would be for best sound (i.e. where it is on the MG6Pro--it's also not adjustable on the merlin) so people could have art. The UM rep admitted as much...it's just a different target audience. I don't think UM has professional clientele. Future Sonics has only professional clientele with a bare handful of audiophiles. And UM seems to be right in making something that's for audiophiles who want a toy as a number of head-fi'ers responded with "oh boy, good job, now we can have art!" rather than, "no we want the best sound". Of course, I'll approach it with an open mind. The miracle is the one I'm looking forward to hearing. Several owners have said the miracle has less than or equal bass to the Shure 530, which really flies in the face of "only bassheads won't find it enough", but given that sound and accepting it, I think it'll be interesting to hear how it is.

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #369 of 1,181

Quote:

The only phones I can directly compare them to are the Pro 900's and the EX1000's. I do have the IE8's on hand, but it's not even worth doing a direct A/B because I know the IE8's are significantly more muddy, thick, and congested sounding in their bass presentation. With the MG6Pro's bass notes hit nice and deep, and it just feels effortless. I don't have the FX700 on hand anymore, but that seems from memory to be the closest approximation in terms of quantity in an earphone (and of course the Atrio was very similar in bass presentation from what I recall). Perhaps the Pro 900 comes close to the MG6Pro's feel too, being a full sized closed headphone (headphone-like bass is how the MG6Pro seems to me). They also have all the good qualities of the EX1000's bass (layering, detail, texture, quickness) while simply being in a whole other league with extension and reach. 

Edit: 
Ahhhhh, for once bass guitar plucks actually sound proper in an IEM. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #370 of 1,181
beerchug.gif
K2 showed me 'the way'
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

edit: this MG6Pro could be very bad news for my wallet!
etysmile.gif

Quote:
Oh, they for sure do it with transparency. Because of the full midrange, and the amount detail of and transparency at the same time, they have more of a connected feeling across the whole frequency range than the EX1000's do. I think I'm getting used to these now, because the EX1000's seem lacking in the mids when I go back to them

ksc75smile.gif

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #371 of 1,181

Quote:
beerchug.gif
K2 showed me 'the way'
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

edit: this MG6Pro could be very bad news for my wallet!
etysmile.gif

These or the Sensaphonics 2-MAX for you would be good.

Aug 16, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #372 of 1,181

Quote:

Not really. I thought about the Merlins but having heard the Miracles, albeit a demo version, I wasn't left desperate to buy them and I know the Merlins will have a similar 'house' sound albiet with more bass. The FS have the adjustable vents, and as stated in an earlier post, you get a heavy discount when upgrading to their newest model, rather than buying something from UM/JH/Westone etc then getting itchy when they release something new because you have to pay full price for it and you can't recoup the cost of your current customs by much.

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #373 of 1,181
- hey kunlun, how does these sound with all genres of metal and some trance/hardstyle? are these babies able to keep up with all the bass and lead guitar riffs while maintaining a high level of instrument separation? i'm coming from a SM3 (=

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #374 of 1,181

Quote:
- hey kunlun, how does these sound with all genres of metal and some trance/hardstyle? are these babies able to keep up with all the bass and lead guitar riffs while maintaining a high level of instrument separation? i'm coming from a SM3 (=

Trance sound incredible although people regularly give high recommendations to bass-insufficient earphones for trance and I honestly don't know what is wrong with those people. Keeping up and maintaining real instrumental timbre isn't a problem at all. Just be aware that dynamic drivers give a coherent sound that is different than multi-ba designs which can sound a little artificially separated as opposed to how live music sounds. If you like how live music sounds in a real life space, then you'll like the MG6Pro. If you are used to a multi-ba design, you might want to stick with that, maybe a UM custom. Ask cn11 about it, but the sm3 will sound a veiled in comparison to the MG6Pro.

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #375 of 1,181

Quote:
Trance sound incredible although people regularly give high recommendations to bass-insufficient earphones for trance and I honestly don't know what is wrong with those people. Keeping up and maintaining real instrumental timbre isn't a problem at all. Just be aware that dynamic drivers give a coherent sound that is different than multi-ba designs which can sound a little artificially separated as opposed to how live music sounds. If you like how live music sounds in a real life space, then you'll like the MG6Pro. If you are used to a multi-ba design, you might want to stick with that, maybe a UM custom. Ask cn11 about it, but the sm3 will sound a veiled in comparison to the MG6Pro.

thanks for the reply! i did find instruments on the SM3 a little artificial separated too, but its only evident when i was comparing it to the IE8 i used to own. Hows the isolation with the closed and the medium LFVs?

Seems like this might be the customs i want! 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back