[Review] Future Sonics MG6PRO Ear Monitors: Dynamic Driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors
May 18, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #1,158 of 1,181
I've been doing some initial listening to my MG5hx and I can definitely recommend the hx upgrade to people who listen outside. The wind noise is vastly reduced for me and the isolation overall is improved.

The sound seems like it has been slightly improved, too, as changing the lungs and housing of a dynamic driver can indeed affect its performance.

I'm happy with these!

May 30, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #1,159 of 1,181
Jun 23, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #1,163 of 1,181
Got mine back. Pleasure to deal with FS - great comms throughout. Isolation improvements are immediately apparent which in turn makes them sound better in noisier environments. General SQ improvements... not sure, will need time to listen more. Took some pictures. You can see the 'pipework' for the vent in one shot and also the new raised bit where the 2 pins go in, which I initially thought would be too narrow to fit the ends of the Capri Lightning DAC cable, but after a bit of sweating I managed to get them in without too much brute force.

IMG_0927.JPG
IMG_0928.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #1,165 of 1,181
No idea. I presume it makes it less likely that the connector could get pulled about and the pins bent since they're now shielded slightly, and perhaps they didn't have room to make it recessed which would accomplish the same thing. Never seemed like an issue anyway. In any case I'm still on the fence about the Capri cable v.s. stock cable anyway as while it's MUCH more convenient having

a) a single cable from phone to ear
b) ihaving the volume controls and mic so I can take calls that way if I want

It's not silent like the stock Lightning to 3.5mm dongle - there's always some low level hiss - which is very disappointing. I'm hoping this might get fixed with a software update as I thought dynamic driver IEMs were easy to drive and didn't usually suffer from impedance issues. I'm hoping it's a software thing as the other people on here that have received their ones have noticed the same thing and I assumed they were using BA driver phones.

Sound-wise it's better purely because the isolation is better; quiet background = easier to hear more stuff. I don't know how much difference the extra headroom makes. If there are any other differences I haven't picked them up but it's impossible to A/B from memory.

I upgraded. Their wording is a bit vague as to what the difference is between upgrading and retro-fitting - I just put a 'upgrade to MG6 HX' in the box.

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #1,166 of 1,181
@Somnambulist, any idea why the 2 pin socket has been raised? And by the way, is it the mg6 upgrade or mg6 retro-fit? Lastly, how do you find the sound after the upgrade? Thank you.

The change in sockets is for improved durability. The socket is a major point of failure in any CIEM for any brand. Since Future Sonics are mainly used on stage by touring musicians, FS really prizes extra durability.

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #1,167 of 1,181
I'm hoping this might get fixed with a software update as I thought dynamic driver IEMs were easy to drive and didn't usually suffer from impedance issues.

Wrong and right! :p

Dynamic drivers are not always easy to drive. They usually like some power. FS ciems certainly like power and FS even recommends it as they are designed to sound their best from high-power pro set-ups.

Dynamic drivers don't suffer from the wacky impedance issues that multi-BA designs often do.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #1,169 of 1,181
Probably just an early version?

Wrong and right! :p

Dynamic drivers are not always easy to drive. They usually like some power. FS ciems certainly like power and FS even recommends it as they are designed to sound their best from high-power pro set-ups.

Dynamic drivers don't suffer from the wacky impedance issues that multi-BA designs often do.

Hope that helps!

Cheers. The iPhone and Capri cable/DAC/amp both drive them louder than I can listen to. I just find it ridiculous AAW couldn't make this thing silent when Apple's free dongle does it perfectly. The dongle is too flimsy and the FS cable being right-angled makes it awkward though, hence the desire to get something more practical. I know Fiio have their own dongle now too so I could try that, although I'd have to get another regular 2-pin cable with a straight connector. The search continues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back