[Review] Future Sonics MG6PRO Ear Monitors: Dynamic Driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors
Mar 10, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #1,141 of 1,181
Got a reply just now actually. The HX is the one to go for as far as the audiophile crowd is concerned - I'm guessing it's purely because the FX are meant more for the live musician who wants to still hear some of the crowd noise while wearing the monitors (the MG6 Pros are certainly pretty 'open' with the larger vents and the position of the vent in general). 

SoftRings don't appear necessary if you have a good fit with your current FS monitors. New impressions not necessary either - also good news.

They're currently in the process of updating the website so hopefully they'll be more info shortly.

Also I currently have blue/purple ear piece with smoke face plates. For $50 I can have the face plates changed which is something I'll consider just to change things up...

Via instagram btw, the HX - can see the port location. The FX will look just look like the MG6 Pros but without the different-sized rubber ports, so just a clean vent on the faceplate.

Thanks for all the homework - much appreciated.

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #1,143 of 1,181
Ha guys, yes, I've been busy, but I have some info. I'll put up a little tomorrow night. You basically have it, though.

Look forward to it. I'm just waiting on them to update the website with the products so I can get the ball rolling. I'm going to assume a 5+ year gap between new models means there's something improved (even if it's diminishing returns) from the models preceding it. I certainly wouldn't mind improved isolation from the adjust port position and that'd be worth the minor upgrade fee alone though.

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #1,144 of 1,181
First: 
Some history and from Marty Garcia, the first to make and use in-ear monitors on stage (for Todd Rundgren in 1982)
"I have always believed our ears are not meant to be a closed system since creating the personal monitor concept as a mixer / audio consultant for Todd Rundgren back in 1982.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk0lL0s1HOs about 3:54min in.

Clients who are knowledgeable about FS proprietary voice coils, understand why they listen longer with less fatigue due to the natural voice coil audio that breaths (voice coil air movement release) with the balance of energy, through our head and body.    Unlike, multi armature a.k.a. multi hearing aids “closed” system vibrating arm w/ No voice coils that other manufactures make.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers have been wearing the new MG6 HX over the past few tour legs and find increased headroom with all the energy, intelligibility, depth, soundstage they could ask for and minimized hearing fatigue issues during a 3 hour sweaty rockin’ show.

Stevie Nicks, Fleetwood Mac, Steve Miller Band, John Legend, Jackson Browne, to name a few, have been our “in the know” timeless musicians, as well,  for studio audio quality, voice coil dynamics and durability.  They are all impressed with the HX isolation and headroom while maintaining longer listening pleasure."

That's his point of view and you can see he feels strongly about his longtime decision to go with dynamic drivers for use on-stage. Audiophiles may have a different opinion for their off-stage use, but you've got to respect his years of experience working with pro musicians on-stage.

For the ciems:

Future Sonics is phasing out mg6pro (not eliminating) that uses selectable voice coil vents (ports).  The new price for mg6pro starting in February will be MSRP US$1,025.00 w/ selectable voice coil vents. 

MG6 FX fixed voice coil vents on faceplate (replaces mg6pro).   This is the FS Studio Audio Signature with the natural breathing audio.  There are no selectable vents. 

MG6 HX voice coil fixed vents hidden in space inside helix, top locking part of Ear Monitors®.  HX offers more audio headroom with FS Studio Audio Signature.

In addition, The FX / HX fixed vents offers more durability, eliminates future replaceable ports / service and the HX offers increased isolation / headroom.

SoftRings™: A new option when the ear canal loosens up over time.  It’s a permeant durable option “SoftRing™” we add to the entrance of the earpiece canal (like a ring on finger) to eliminate the temporary wraps we see musicians use from time to time.  The SoftRing™ may be added during future Upgrade Service or anytime with added cost $60.00 per pair.

----------
New Product Prices / info:

-Ear Monitors® MG6 HX US$ 998.00 each pair any transparent standard color- 13mm FS proprietary transducers. Sensitivity 114dB @ 30Hz with fixed voice coil Helix vent.   Ear Monitors® models are completely serviceable, cable is end-user replaceable, 30 day fit guarantee with new impressions, 1 yr. warranty.   
or
-Ear Monitors® MG6 FX US$ 950.00 each pair any transparent standard color- 13mm FS proprietary transducers. Sensitivity 114dB @ 30Hz w/ fixed voice coil Faceplate vent.   Ear Monitors® models are completely serviceable, cable is end-user replaceable, 30 day fit guarantee with new impressions, 1 yr. warranty.   

Above Ear Monitors® models are completely serviceable, cable is end-user replaceable, 30 day fit guarantee with new impressions, 1 yr warranty. 

FUTURE UPGRADES to same custom sets (made from 2010 +) are US$ 300.00 each pair to be like new.

Impression services and shipping not included.

Turnaround times are about 10 biz days depending on when we receive impressions.  RUSH orders require added RUSH charges depending on how fast.
---------

The mg5pro model is now updated to MG5 FX (US$ 825) and have the option to be ordered as new model MG5 HX (US$ 875), as well.  Specifications are same as mg5pro other than the MG5 HX will have slightly increased headroom while providing increased isolation.

So, that's more or less quoted from FS and I think it should answer most questions. I'd love to see the next generation from FS, but we'll have to wait a little longer for that, it looks like.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #1,146 of 1,181
So... That does mean the 13mm driver for the MG6HX/FX is identical to the MG6 Pro?

Plus I'm not sure what they meant by "increased headroom".

The driver is the same. 

Headroom is the maxium volume a driver can output without loss of clarity. Having very high headroom is not discussed on head-fi, but it's a major factor in the thinking of companies that design for pro-musician stage monitors (that's why there is a jh16 and not just a jh13, for example, it's not just more bass, but the ability to put out bass at a higher volume without distortion. The headroom, in other words). Having higher headroom may have benefits for normal volume listening as well. 

Often, changing something around a driver, particularly a dynamic driver, changes things for the driver itself. That seems to be the case here.

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #1,147 of 1,181
Thanks Kunlun for the detailed explanation. If I'm an existing owner of the MG5 or MG6 Pro, I probably won't go for the upgrade program. For new owners though, the increased isolation is definitely welcome.

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #1,149 of 1,181
I see.For me it'd be worth the $300 to have better isolation because while I really do enjoy the MG6 Pros, there's no getting around the fact that once you step foot on the Tube for instance, the isolation (or lack of) compared to my other IEMs becomes apparent. Wouldn't mind a fresh colour with the shells and not having to worry about losing the ports either because there have been occasions where I've managed to knock them out and then have to crawl around on my hands and knees looking for them.

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #1,152 of 1,181

With the HX, it now makes sense to get clear faceplates for a glorious view of the DD. Previously, the vents would have spoilt the view...

Hey maybe. I might just go with Smoke again which is still somewhat transparent but obviously with a new clean faceplate rather than what I presume they normally do with ones that are returned, which is to just fill the vent in. With the purple and blue left/right inner bits the clear would still look slightly purple/blue.

(You'd all hate me if you saw the state of my DX100 btw, it ended up taking a few nasty falls and is absolutely battered! Battery doesn't hold it's charge now either)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back