[Review] Future Sonics MG6PRO Ear Monitors: Dynamic Driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors
Aug 19, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #1,081 of 1,181
Hi there, glad to hear you're alive!

Cables are a luxury item, I'd say. Maybe a lightweight, silver cable, but, honestly, Marty Garcia asked me not to use extra cables as it can wear out the sockets of CIEMs.

As for new things, well, Future Sonics is very careful to only announce new things once they are well-tested and ready. That's the way they roll. I can't say anything further except that they have a long cycle between generations because they really do their homework...yes, that means a lot of R&D on-going. 

I think a new universal will be out first before we see a new generation of customs, just speculation :wink_face:

MG8Pro :)

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #1,082 of 1,181

Hi there, glad to hear you're alive!

Cables are a luxury item, I'd say. Maybe a lightweight, silver cable, but, honestly, Marty Garcia asked me not to use extra cables as it can wear out the sockets of CIEMs.

As for new things, well, Future Sonics is very careful to only announce new things once they are well-tested and ready. That's the way they roll. I can't say anything further except that they have a long cycle between generations because they really do their homework...yes, that means a lot of R&D on-going. 

I think a new universal will be out first before we see a new generation of customs, just speculation
wink_face.gif

Yeah I really just want a cable that looks nicer than the stock black one but it's not a big enough deal for me. Something that sounds as good as my DX100 but fits in my pocket better would be nicer.

Interesting, thanks.

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #1,086 of 1,181
Just a quick question to all MG6Pro owners here:

How will you rate it as a reference earphones (meaning accuracy rather than fun/warm sound)?

I'm looking to get a reference customs during the black friday period (aiming for the savings haha) and I've tried the UE Reference monitors which I really like. However, since the MG6Pro is cheaper, and I've been buying dynamic drivers earphones all along (all earphones that I like happened to be DD), and the fact that so many artistes use it, I'm considering getting it over the UE Reference but will just like to get some feedback here since this thread is still well and alive. Thanks in advance!

Sep 4, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #1,087 of 1,181
I bought these 2 years ago and i would not buy them again. These are far behind my other Customs as JH16 and Compact Monitors Stage 5.
They lack of clarity, highs and soundstage, they only excel with the rumbling bass. For me, these are absolutly no reference earphones.

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #1,088 of 1,181

How will you rate it as a reference earphones (meaning accuracy rather than fun/warm sound)?

I see I am a bit late responding to this, but for anyone else who may have the same query, the MG6 Pros are a million miles away from accurate/reference.

A million miles.

They are not an audiophile CIEM.

They are a stage monitor.

Also see:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596839/review-um-merlin-fs-mg6pro-akg-k3003-future-additions-fitear-tg-334-aurisonics-as-2/240#post_11010759

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #1,089 of 1,181
I bought these 2 years ago and i would not buy them again. These are far behind my other Customs as JH16 and Compact Monitors Stage 5.
They lack of clarity, highs and soundstage, they only excel with the rumbling bass. For me, these are absolutly no reference earphones.

I see I am a bit late responding to this, but for anyone else who may have the same query, the MG6 Pros are a million miles away from accurate/reference.

A million miles.

Thanks for the replies guys. I managed to listen to someone's mg6pro a while back. Could only get a decent seal in one ear but couldn't enjoy the bass as it wasn't a perfect seal. I agree that the sound sig isn't reference but it's something I enjoyed.

In the meantime however, I'm getting the Hidition NT 6. I heard a demo version of it and it was exactly what I'm looking for: analytical yet enjoyable.

I'm still going to get the future sonics customs though, probably when there is an attractive discount, my budget allows it or when the mg8pro is out

They are not an audiophile CIEM.

They are a stage monitor.

[rule]

Also see:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596839/review-um-merlin-fs-mg6pro-akg-k3003-future-additions-fitear-tg-334-aurisonics-as-2/240#post_11010759

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #1,090 of 1,181
  Just a quick question to all MG6Pro owners here:

I'm looking to get a reference customs during the black friday period (aiming for the savings haha) and I've tried the UE Reference monitors which I really like. However, since the MG6Pro is cheaper, and I've been buying dynamic drivers earphones all along (all earphones that I like happened to be DD), and the fact that so many artistes use it, I'm considering getting it over the UE Reference but will just like to get some feedback here since this thread is still well and alive. Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

The MG6pro is a stage monitor sound and is perfect for those who want that (boosted vocal range and subbass, non-fatiguing treble). The UERM is an earphone I've heard and I would recommend it as a reference, although, I did find some ear fatigue on the UERM--just my experience. For a dynamic driver, I would consider the MG5pro as a CIEM that strikes a balance between a stage monitor and a reference monitor.
Here's my review of it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/727942/review-future-sonics-mg5pro-10mm-dynamic-driver-custom-fit-in-ear-monitor

Here's what Tom Pesa had to say about the MG5pro, in a facebook post to Future Sonics' page:
Thanks, Marty and FS! My opinion is now firm that the mg5pro is my new "go to" set of ears to not only make mixes but listen to in general. After two major shows and over twenty acts ranging from country, rock, pop, latin and R&B I can only say these are amazingly smooth. Beautiful low end and a smooth representation all the way up to the high shimmer. Every nuance is there of what I'm listening to, acoustic or electronic. I have been wearing them for long 16 hour days of soundchecks, dress rehearsals and shows and my ears never get fatigued. Throw in some long travel days of personal music listening, too. Well done! Still loving the mg6's, but, wow, you hit these out of the park.

Tom Pesa is a pro audio engineer who is a three time Emmy Award winner for live sound mixing as a member of the audio mixing team on the 50th and 51st Annual Grammy Awards. He's worked at the Super Bowl, Grammy Awards and The Academy Awards.

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #1,091 of 1,181
February 2011:

Quote:

Synopsis: The Future Sonics MG6Pro Ear Monitor is an excellent sounding custom earphone tuned for a supremely natural sound. The overall sound is very smooth, extended in bass and treble, and very well balanced by the clear midrange. The excellent reproduction of vocal and instrumental timbre, combined with superior soundstage and sense of stereo imagining are also standouts. Using a single dynamic driver which can cover the entire frequency spectrum without the need for crossovers gives the MG6PRO Ear Monitor a coherency which adds to the naturalness of its presentation. The bass deserves special mention for its control and its effortless extension down to the sub-bass frequencies. Additionally, the 13mm dynamic driver can move the air against our ears in a way balanced armatures cannot—this leads to better bass energy as we “feel” bass as much as we hear it. The amount of bass can also be adjusted to anyone’s taste by a changeable system of vents which allow the driver more or less airflow.

The Sound: The head audio engineer for the Country Music Awards told me (yes, I emailed him and asked what he thought) that Future Sonics Ear Monitors offered “true reference quality sound”, in his opinion. I’m not a professional audio engineer, but I can definitely hear where he’s coming from.

The overall sound signature is natural, balanced and engaging.

What natural means to me is that the MG6Pro doesn’t sound colored or boosted to me anywhere in its frequency range. It also refers to the superior timbre—that hard to define but easy to recognize ability to convey the true-to-life sound of all the richness and subtle resonance of an instrument such as the human voice or a violin. I think that these qualities are part of what the senior audio engineer I politely pestered was talking about.   

Balanced means to me that I don’t hear a certain frequency range coming ahead of any other, generally speaking. With the LFVs, this can change a little according to one’s taste, as I’ll mention below.  Other earphones may be tuned with a very forward midrange, or a boosted extra-bright treble or a mid-bass hump to give beats extra bounce—the MG6Pro has none of these, to my ears. I think people who want a colored (“fun”) sound won’t necessarily find that the MG6Pro is for them. It’s just a matter of knowing what kind of sound you are looking for and matching your preference to the earphone you buy.

Mid-range: The mids of the MG6Pro really let the music sing without getting in the way. Whenever I try to describe them, I try listening to some music…and end up listening and listening… So, I think I can say first that they are not recessed, nor are they overly forward. It’s not a thin-sounding earphone by any stretch, but notes aren’t overly thick nor does the decay overstay its welcome. They are quite well-detailed, but not artificially analytical. I think you can see why I keep coming back to natural and balanced as descriptions.

In Conclusion: I think these custom in-ear monitors have a lot to recommend them for professional or audiophile use. They certainly deserve more attention from audiophiles as they have a high quality sound with excellent customer service. The MG6Pro reproduces music in a realistic and natural-sounding way that puts even much more expensive custom earphones to shame in direct comparison. The way they can be upgraded to the next generation driver for a fraction of the cost of a new custom, their durability and ease of repair and the way the bass quantity can be adjusted make them a very strong choice. Certainly those who come from dynamic driver earphones or headphones should think about the MG6Pro Ear Monitor, as well as those wanting a balanced, natural sound at every part of the frequency range. Those who like a very bright or a colored sound or if isolation is more important than sound quality might wish to look at other options.

November 2014:

Quote:

Hi there,

The MG6pro is a stage monitor sound and is perfect for those who want that (boosted vocal range and subbass, non-fatiguing treble). The UERM is an earphone I've heard and I would recommend it as a reference, although, I did find some ear fatigue on the UERM--just my experience. For a dynamic driver, I would consider the MG5pro as a CIEM that strikes a balance between a stage monitor and a reference monitor.
Here's my review of it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/727942/review-future-sonics-mg5pro-10mm-dynamic-driver-custom-fit-in-ear-monitor

Nov 3, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #1,093 of 1,181
Ha ha!

The short answer is that the human ear is not "flat" in the way it perceives sound.
Equal loudness contours are a beginning of understanding this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

Then, there are curves to reflect how we hear in a real setting, such as the free field and diffuse field curves. (credit goes to Golden Ears for the picture):

Look at this chart. That's one way of describing what an arguably natural, balanced sound is for an open headphone. Yes, look at that. A surprise for some, but that's the human ear and auditory system, which evolved to pay close attention to the heart of the vocal range. There are other things to consider as well. For example, Dr. John Moulton of Noble Audio mentioned to me that there was a study finding a lift to the sub-bass for an earphone led to a better sense of naturalness for listeners.

Well, if you look at that chart for the free field and lift the sub-bass, what do you have?

That's right, you have the MG6pro. Natural and balanced--for the human ear, subjectively*.

AND

You have a boost in the sub-bass and vocal range, with less lift in the treble, just as I described it objectively.

Kunlun triumphs.

*Arguably. Each person should find what's right for them. What sounds great to one person, or several people, might not sound so great to someone else. That's life.
Personally, I don't recommend the MG6pro to everyone. I bought a JH16fp for a girlfriend. Why? Because I talked to her about what she wanted to hear and that was the best fit for her. Bought a pair for myself, too.

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #1,094 of 1,181
Had my mg6pros for about 9 months now and used it mostly for stage. It's all about horses for the courses. It comes alive with a full band and all the vocals pouring in and even after a few hours on them in a day I do not feel any hearing fatigue probably because they don't have the sibilance that other multiple-driver ciems do.

My other go to earphones for daily commute and General use is the audiotechnica IM50. I love dynamic drivers. :)

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #1,095 of 1,181
Created account just cause I am close to pulling the trigger on the mg6pro. Have been using the atrios for the past 5 years and unfortunately had to go through 2-3 pairs as 1 side of the driver keeps dying on me most likely due to cable issues. So I am kinda concerned about the warranty or repair period of the mg6pro.

Anyway, for those interested in the new universal IEM from FS, last I heard is that it will hit the stores by mid-December.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back