Review: Fournier HTA-1 hybrid tube amp.... excellent budget amp!
Jan 9, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #31 of 56

Just a small edit to my above review. While this amp really does warm up the mids of the 990's, It does not save them. This is more a function of the 990's and not the amp imo. So probably not the best combo in all reality.

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #33 of 56
Sounds like it might work quite well with the DT880's then.

See my sig.

:-D

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #35 of 56
I got an HTA-1 last week and have been A/B'ing vs the AMB/MrX CKKIII that has very quickly become undislodgeable from my work rig. 
smile_phones.gif

(Love the CKKIII !!)

At first, I didn't like the HTA-1 much.  The lows and mids were fine, but I felt the highs were a little mushier than the CKKIII.  I felt the CKKIII was more detailed and warmer at the same time.

Flash forward.  Whether it's "burn in" (I do believe that tubes benefit from time at working temperature), or my brain getting used to the HTA-1, I quite like it now.  It seems to be a very balanced amp, and I would say that it's a hair more forgiving for poorly mastered source material than the CKKIII.

My one small complaint is that I've used it exclusively with RS2i's and HF2's, and the gain is a little high for those headphones.  Through a PC swapping back and forth between the HRT MS2 and AMB/MrX's y2 (gamma2) USB DACs, I have hit 8:30 maybe 9 o'clock on the vol with some low volume mastered '80's CDs, but with more modern (loud) CDs, I'm only 1/4" to 3/8" above zero.  Even that low, the sound is fine, and I can't detect any channel imbalance, but still, I'd like to be able to use more of the volume dial.

In that initial moment of my unhappiness with it, I ordered a Valhalla.  So I plan to compare more when I get that one.

The HTA-1 is a hybrid and the Valhalla is all tube, so I have already convinced myself that I could justify keeping them both ... 
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #37 of 56
As I'm interested in getting the HT-1, how does the Gamma-2 DAC compare with the MS2 in performance this amp?

I read about the MS2 output notiably louder than the y2. Also I'm would use the Gamma-2/HT-1 DAC/AMP combo with my DT-150's.

Quote:

My one small complaint is that I've used it exclusively with RS2i's and HF2's, and the gain is a little high for those headphones.  Through a PC swapping back and forth between the HRT MS2 and AMB/MrX's y2 (gamma2) USB DACs, I have hit 8:30 maybe 9 o'clock on the vol with some low volume mastered '80's CDs, but with more modern (loud) CDs, I'm only 1/4" to 3/8" above zero.  Even that low, the sound is fine, and I can't detect any channel imbalance, but still, I'd like to be able to use more of the volume dial.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #38 of 56
Yes, I need to comment on what you guys ask for.

I had been told by Schiit themselves that the Valhalla might have trouble powering Grados.  I don't know how they came up with that in that even with low volume 80's mastered CDs, I've still never had the vol above 11 o'clock.  Anyway, because of that initial concern, I had too found that the MS2 outputs 2.25V instead of the more common 2.0V, so I thought that would give the Valhalla a "leg up" with its output.

I only tried this once, and I'll try to repeat it sometime soon, but when I tried with the gamma2, I didn't really notice any change in volume.  I wasn't specifically testing for the MS2 output vs the gamma2 at that time, but I'll repeat that sometime soon.

As far as the CKKIII vs HTA-1 vs Valhalla, this is my seat o the pants impressions:

CKKIII is the most transparent.  Detailed but smooth and warm.  HTA-1 has maybe a smidge softer treble.  More forgiving for poor source material.  Valhalla, has maybe a smidge smoother/softer treble than the HTA-1.  The Valhalla has a bit more bloom to the bass than both.  A little less control than the other 2.  Maybe due to the mismatch in impedances between it and Grados.  Maybe a smidge warmer, "fruitier" (is how I think of it), midrange than the other 2.

They are all quite listenable IMO.  I use the gamma2 with the CKKIII, the MS2 with the Valhalla, and I'm looking now for a DAC to pair up with the HTA-1.  Started looking at the Pro-Ject USB Box, but I'm now looking at the V-DAC from Musical Fidelity.  Wish I could find it cheaper than list/MSRP though ...

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #39 of 56
Hmmm.... For my PC rig there is the HTA2 on eBay for $195 or Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4  for $199. Or something else? ~$200 is my upper limit for this application. How portable do I need/want for my PC rig? I'm leaning towards the HTA2 because I love tube sound and I don't currently have a big need for something geared toward travel. There are so many good choices in this segment.... 

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #40 of 56
Yes, many good choices in the $200 or less range. 

The UHA-4 is obviously very different than the Fournier. I think you would really need to decide on the portability factor before making a choice - the HTA 2 won't be fun to lug around due to the large power supply as well as the tubes (which could potentially be damaged). But as far as pure sound quality I suspect it would have the edge.

Jun 6, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #41 of 56
Thank you for your feedback Project86. I find your reviews very useful to me and that we have similar philosophies about hi-fi. I thought about the portability consideration and decided this isn't very important at this time since this setup is for my home office. It would be easy to spend in the thousands but the more difficult task is to stay within and optimize my budget. I'm pretty sure I'll go with an amp/dac combo primarily because of the connectivity options.

I have been doing my research and came up with several Chinese amp/dac's, the Leckerton, and the Fournier. I would probably go with the Yulong U100 if it were made almost anywhere but China. I guess I'm just old enough that it bothers me to think of importing one to the USA. I'm sure there are plently of other Chinese made products in my household but this seems to be too direct of a connection for me.

I will probably end up with the Fournier DAC-2 after I think it over some more although the dac section sounds like it is pretty basic at 16 bit. Maybe the HTA-2 would be just fine considering I already have a Mav D1. The Fournier seems like a great match for the HD650. I like tube sound and it only has two little tubes to eventually replace/roll. It is a small form factor plus it would have the bonus of looking really cool on my desk. The only review I could find on the internet for this amp is yours. If I do end up with one of these with your permission (it is your review after all) I'll add my thoughts here hopefully for the benefit of others.

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #42 of 56
Thanks for the kind words. Dave, the creator of the Fournier amps, is an extremely nice guy. He seems like a talented DIY hobbyist who just wants to share his creations with the rest of us. I doubt he makes a ton of money in the process. If anyone deserves our business, it's guys like him. 

By all means feel free to add your impressions in this thread. I still get questions about the Fournier products, and I think plenty of people out there would be interested in hearing more impressions. 

Jun 29, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #44 of 56
Quick update: I changed my setups somewhat: I now use the HTA-1 with the HRT MS2 DAC almost exclusively at home, and the Valhalla with the V-DAC at work.  I think the blue of the HTA-1 goes along quite well with the red of the MS2. 
smile_phones.gif
  Plus, they sound pretty good together too !!

Btw, I agree about the USA'ed-ness of the HTA-1.  One reason why I ended up getting one.

Oct 11, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #45 of 56
[size=medium]Thank You very much for all your reviews.[/size]

[size=medium]I was just going to order the Fournier DAC-2 at ebay but… OOOPSS! The seller does not offer international shipping.  
confused_face_2.gif
[/size]
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif

[size=medium]Now I feel very sad
confused_face.gif
[/size]

[size=medium]Anybody knows of a seller that would ship internationally? I would appreciate it very much. [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back