Review! Fischer Audio's FA-004
Aug 27, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #211 of 236
Quote:

Ok I got myself some HPAEC750 from Juno also (19€, free shipping in Europe).

I have two 12€ "FA-004 clones" (Ace MP-68, MC Crypt DJ-50), which sound the same and have the same pads. Also two headphones outputs on my amp so it's simple to switch and compare.

I would not say the bass change is slight at all. There's especially more subbass, overall something like +3dB (compared with EQ). It makes the sound a bit muffled, requiring more volume. I cut thumbprint sized holes to the Shure fabric to try to compensate a bit.

Hard to judge soundstage size, perhaps just slightly larger. Comfort is quite nice now.

Overall warmer and smoother sound, makes quite fun "30€ headphones", I like it. Of course it isn't for anyone wanting good vocals etc, stock already is a bit too bloated for that..

Just to clarify, you're saying the Shure replacement pads are not a precise fit? Do they slide around a bit? I'm still looking for the ideal replacement pads for these. I can't see getting the oval shaped Beyer pads either. I've seen photos and the just look wrong on the FA-004.

Aug 27, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #212 of 236
Quote:
Just to clarify, you're saying the Shure replacement pads are not a precise fit? Do they slide around a bit? I'm still looking for the ideal replacement pads for these. I can't see getting the oval shaped Beyer pads either. I've seen photos and the just look wrong on the FA-004.

Yes it's not a precise fit. It slides around like 1cm, but it won't drop without forcing it. Nothing to worry on your head.

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #214 of 236
I own the FA-011 and absolutely love them.  I had the eterna in the past and thought those were really good also.  I wanted to try a portable version so I grabbed the FA-004.  What I can say is that Fischer Audio really knows how to tune their headphones.  This has to be one of the better sounding portable headphones I've ever heard.  I also own the JVC HA-S500's which are amazing for the dollar amount but the 004's which cost a little more bring another flavor with better controlled bass and really good mids.  It's so nice that you don't have to spend hundreds of dollars to get such good sounding equipment these days.  

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #215 of 236
Does anyone know if I can order those brown velour pads that come with the white FA-004s anywhere?

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #217 of 236
Quote:
This might sound like a stupid question, but are these the same as the Brainwavz HM3 and the Incipio f38??

Also, how do these puppies measure up to the AKG K518?

Yes, they are. The HM3 and f38 are identical to the FA-004 except the Incipio uses a different (and probably better) material on the earcups. I'll be reviewing the HM3 in a shootout review later this month. It's a great value, but the Incipio is even less $$. These seem to be the only versions available in the US but these are also sold in Europe as the Ace MP-68, MC Crypt DJ-50, and the Maxell Retro DJ.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #218 of 236
Add me to the list of Incipio f38 fans. I bought a pair in the matte black color for $30 shipped. I'm amazed at the sound quality for so little money. My only complaint thus far is the comfort issue. I too will be looking for an alternative pad.

cubdog

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #219 of 236
I just had a thought about replacement pads. Has anyone tried any Grado earpads? I've never had any Grados so I don't know if this is even remotely possible. Any thoughts?

cubdog

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #220 of 236
i have the sennheiser yellow pads for sr80, and No they do not fit the incipios f38 as the inner circumference is a lot smaller.

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #221 of 236
As I'm still waiting for my T50RPs to arrive and had some modding materials lying around, I dug up my Incipio F-38s and tried to mod them.
After modding, they sounded a lot more detailed and tamed. Sound stage also got larger.

1. Stuffed newplast (plasticine) into the cups.
2. Loosened up a cotton ball and placed the cotton between the plasticine and drivers.
3. Assembled the drivers back on, and tore the foam between the drivers and earpads.
4. Placed earpads back on, and stuffed cotton balls under the earpads.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #223 of 236
Just tried a mod on my HM3, if anyone is interested.  More for function than anything else.  I bought these:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66627_NVX-XRE100A.html

They were originally for a T50rp mod and but ended up on my hm3 for ear protection during a snowblowing session 
size]
.  I like the new sound better as the bass was just too much at stock.  Comfort also has massively increase!

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #224 of 236
Quote:
Now to try and get rid of the treble hump!
It used to be a lot worse, but I'm still trying to reduce it further.

Not aiming for bass and mids neutrality but I just stuffed as much felt as I could with good results. I think some tissue/very thin cloth over the driver may help but I can't secure it over the driver properly. Btw what exactly does removing the foam do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back