Review! Fischer Audio's FA-004
Jun 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #196 of 236
Indeed! If you order stuff from Frogbeats, you will most likely get a superior product than if you order from any other place.

Frogbeats does their own, independent quality control and will not ship anything out if it doesn't meet their standards.

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #197 of 236
Quote:
Indeed! If you order stuff from Frogbeats, you will most likely get a superior product than if you order from any other place.

Frogbeats does their own, independent quality control and will not ship anything out if it doesn't meet their standards.

Mine was shipped straight from Fischer themselves and there was nothing wrong with it.
But yes i have noticed that some earphones frogbeats have added extra accessories like they sell the HiSound Crystal with a case.

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #199 of 236
Are there any alternate pads, preferably velour, that I could buy for these things?

Jul 27, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #200 of 236
Hi, mine came with 3 sets of pads, one brown pleather, one set of white pleather & a set of brown velour pads. The brown velour pads are great, very comfortable.

Cheers

Mark

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #201 of 236
Quote:
Can any say how these compare to the Sony MDR V6?

The V6 is quite different. It tries to be a very neutral monitor-style headphone (although it's not my favorite in that category) and has a pretty even balance. The FA-004 is definitely more colored, has a more satisfying low end, and slightly rolled back highs (which I find more interesting and less fatiguing), and (subjectively) more engaging midrange. It sounds much better out of a portable that the Sony, but also scales up very well with different amps and sources. I haven't had the chance to hear the Incipio or the Brainwavz but if the SQ is the same then they are a fantastic value. I'm not cray about the fit and comfort of my FA-004's. Without any pivoting of the earcups they are just not very self-adjusting and I find the pressure is too strong at the bottom of the cups on both sides and the clamping force is a little too much. I still love the SQ and listen to mine often. But shortly after I bought them I also picked up a pair of Denon D1001 and overall I prefer those, mostly for the superb comfort. The sound quality on the Denon is even more colored but it agrees with me. Those drivers are the same as used in the Creative Aurvana Live! Too bad Denon discontinued the D1001 because I doubt if the CAL! could be as comfortable.
Quote:
Are there any alternate pads, preferably velour, that I could buy for these things?

I would like to know that as well. There are lots of pads from Beyerdynamic but I think the ones for the DT770/880, etc. are too large. Does anyone know? The diameter is 80mm.
Quote:
Hi, mine came with 3 sets of pads, one brown pleather, one set of white pleather & a set of brown velour pads. The brown velour pads are great, very comfortable.
Cheers
Mark

That really IS a nice looking special edition you have there. I've had mine for about 3 years and I think all of us who got the basic edition are envious. Hope you enjoy them!

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #202 of 236
yes, someone mentioned these:

Beyerdynamic EDT 250

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Velour-Earcushions-MDR7506-Headphones/dp/B0016MF7W2

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #203 of 236
Quote:
But shortly after I bought them I also picked up a pair of Denon D1001 and overall I prefer those, mostly for the superb comfort. The sound quality on the Denon is even more colored but it agrees with me. Those drivers are the same as used in the Creative Aurvana Live! Too bad Denon discontinued the D1001 because I doubt if the CAL! could be as comfortable.

I just got the incipio f38 and my first impressions are that the sound quality is quite good, almost as good as my CAL! (the cals are just a tad smoother). I think the padding used in the D1001 should be similar to the CALs. the padding+headband on the CAL is soft and plush, more luxurious feeling when compared to the Incipios.  The headband clamping force is low on the CAL, whereas the f38 have moderate levels of clamping (not to say they are uncomfortable....you just know/feel they are there).

Still burning in the f38 and I have to say..they are an excellent choice at the $30 range with their clear and fun sound.  One of the first tracks I tested was a song from Utada Hikaru and there were sound notes on the right side that I never really noticed until using the f38s. I changed it back to the CALs but those notes weren't as prominent vs the f38s. That was my first wow moment.  These will be killer phones if they had softer ear pads.

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #204 of 236
yes, someone mentioned these:
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Velour-Earcushions-MDR7506-Headphones/dp/B0016MF7W2
ir

I didn't think these things would fit, does anyone have any pictures?

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #205 of 236
Quote:
I didn't think these things would fit, does anyone have any pictures?

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-HM3-BRAINWAVZ-On-Ear-Headphones/product-reviews/B0067GNWB0    (mentioned not direct fit, may need modifcation)

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-hm3-headphones/   (bottom pic)

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #206 of 236
Quote:

I just got the incipio f38 and my first impressions are that the sound quality is quite good, almost as good as my CAL! (the cals are just a tad smoother). I think the padding used in the D1001 should be similar to the CALs. the padding+headband on the CAL is soft and plush, more luxurious feeling when compared to the Incipios.  The headband clamping force is low on the CAL, whereas the f38 have moderate levels of clamping (not to say they are uncomfortable....you just know/feel they are there).

Still burning in the f38 and I have to say..they are an excellent choice at the $30 range with their clear and fun sound.  One of the first tracks I tested was a song from Utada Hikaru and there were sound notes on the right side that I never really noticed until using the f38s. I changed it back to the CALs but those notes weren't as prominent vs the f38s. That was my first wow moment.  These will be killer phones if they had softer ear pads.

i got mine for 18  bucks and wow i think they are nearly as good (or better) then the ES7s...... 

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #208 of 236
Quote:
i got mine for 18  bucks and wow i think they are nearly as good (or better) then the ES7s...... 

where at and when? thats a big discount....are you talking about the incipio or brainwavz version?

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #210 of 236
Quote:
Well, I received the pads today from juno.co.uk (part no.: HPAEC750). As you said, they aren't flush but they don't come off on their own either. The main difference to the stock ones is the comfort, which is much, much better!

I also noticed slight changes to the sound:
- wider soundstage;
- rounder sound (IMO an improvement, as having removed the inner foam made them a little bit edgy);
- smoother, more pleasant bass.
The cups still don't seal very well and the isolation increase is negligible, but, overall, I recommend them for the slightly smoother sound and most definitely for the added comfort.

Ok I got myself some HPAEC750 from Juno also (19€, free shipping in Europe).

I have two 12€ "FA-004 clones" (Ace MP-68, MC Crypt DJ-50), which sound the same and have the same pads. Also two headphones outputs on my amp so it's simple to switch and compare.

I would not say the bass change is slight at all. There's especially more subbass, overall something like +3dB (compared with EQ). It makes the sound a bit muffled, requiring more volume. I cut thumbprint sized holes to the Shure fabric to try to compensate a bit.

Hard to judge soundstage size, perhaps just slightly larger. Comfort is quite nice now.

Overall warmer and smoother sound, makes quite fun "30€ headphones", I like it. Of course it isn't for anyone wanting good vocals etc, stock already is a bit too bloated for that..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back