Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Aug 9, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #4,306 of 4,469
So after reading the better part of this entire thread, I come to the end and find a crop of people having various QC issues. Bummer. I basically fell in love with these things already, but the idea of something that will just randomly quit working after a year, even while taking perfect care of it, well that is a deal breaker for me.

After being on headfi for a good solid few months (mostly reading, researching, etc) I've come to realize that it's way better to collect different phones, versus trying to find "the one". I have my "fun" IEM (Image S4, though def looking at other options, i.e., TF10, IE8, Hippo VB), now I want to get a more analytical pair for classical, acoustic, vocal, etc. I started off looking at ER4P, then read about RE0, CK10, PFE, and DBA. I all but decided on the DBA based on descriptions of sound quality (dubious, I know, but i tend to trust head fiers, or at least know when to add a grain of salt), but now I'm worried about build quality.

Is there anyway to know how risky these are to purchase? The ER4P are sounding really promising now as the best compromise between value, sound quality, scalability, and durability ... if I do purchase the DBA's and they do fail, what are my options (not including re-shelling, WAY too expensive for me right now)? How is the warranty? Could I get them fixed?

I know it seems premature to worry about a future break, but there were enough posts to warrant some concern, especially when comparable phones are nearly universally praised for being amazing sounding and indestructible (er4p/ck10) ... I'm willing to cough up the money for some CK10s if it's worth it. Any thoughts?

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #4,307 of 4,469
Try Brainwavz B2. From what is said, the DBA-02 is similar to the B2. In general, it seems like all Fischer Audio distributors are having trouble at the moment - I'd give them a pass for now unfortunately.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #4,308 of 4,469

Quote:
Try Brainwavz B2. From what is said, the DBA-02 is similar to the B2. In general, it seems like all Fischer Audio distributors are having trouble at the moment - I'd give them a pass for now unfortunately.

Yep. DBA-02 = B2 (mostly).

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #4,309 of 4,469
I still feel a bit disgruntled about Brainwavz creating such a similar IEM. It feels a little like they rip off DBA-02's design... But Fischer Audio is having more than enough problems with distribution, so it is really hard to not recommend the B2 for DBA-02 lovers.

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #4,311 of 4,469
I am not only referring to the OEM though, unfortunately. :p

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #4,314 of 4,469
You want the one for E1, E3, etc, not the one for E2.

Quote:
Can someone compare these to the Shure SE215's? Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Technically DBA-02 is better, more neutral and lot more micro detail. SE215 is warm, lively and fun. Check out the Concise Multi-IEM Comparison in my sig.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #4,316 of 4,469
Argh!! Instead of refunding my money GD-Audiobase sent me a replacement brand new pair of DBA-02's without any channel imbalance. I am still trying to get my money back through my creditcard company, but now I have these DBA-02's which I don't need (just purchased the B2's). Is anyone interested in a fresh, brand new, unopened/unused pair of DBA-02's without channel imbalance? I'm from the Netherlands.

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #4,318 of 4,469
Happy birthday to my beloved DBA-02's. It's been a year since I got them and after a period of love and hate, I honestly loved them in the end. I have around 10 other IEMs to compare them to including RE0, ER4P, UE superfi.5 pro among others, and I choose the DBA-02's over the others any time of the day. The "hate" part is actually the build quality aspect. I stopped using them for around 2 months after having problems with channel imbalance. It's been a month now of constant use and problem hasn't recurred thus far. Crossing my fingers though. But not to worry, have a pair of Brainwavz B2's coming over just in case.

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #4,319 of 4,469

Quote:
Just got a pair in from Music Acoustics. Left side is quieter than the right by about 20dB (so says the slider in Windows Media Player).

There's no fix other then to send them back right?

Just received my replacement pair from Musica Acoustics. All is well, though they did take quite a while to get them to me.

Aug 19, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #4,320 of 4,469
Right side experiencing distortion, disappears if i tweak positioning a bit, but it's still there. It's not the jack, perhaps the solder points. Thing is.. I'm out of warranty :\ i think. Oh well.. Time to move on to my JH5s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back