Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Apr 22, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #4,112 of 4,469
I'm trying to read all the posts but am only on page 50
etysmile.gif
. I listen to mostly: (indie/alternative/post)rock, dubstep, (minimal)techno. Are these the right phones for me or will I be missing bass? I'm not a basshead in that I want accurate bass, not bloaty, muddy. I have MEElec M6's now, but find the bass sometimes a bit too much. Will the DBA-02's be good for me, or should I invest in something else? (if so, what?)
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Apr 22, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #4,113 of 4,469
The DBA-02 has very fast, accurate bass that rolls off at the extreme lows. Because the voicing of the IEM is not thick, it won't have the same feel of presence as IEMs that you may be used to, but if you can get used to the sound (psychologically), it should deliver more than enough bass if you can get an adequate seal. IMO the bigger question is if you can get used to the bright-ish feel of the upper mids and highs. Personally, I had never been a big fan of bright IEMs a la the ER4P, etc. but I managed to get used to the DBA sound fairly quickly. Its ability to deliver me plenty of micro details far outweighs its bright nature. I actually don't feel they're overly bright anymore.

Quote:
I'm trying to read all the posts but am only on page 50
etysmile.gif
. I listen to mostly: (indie/alternative/post)rock, dubstep, (minimal)techno. Are these the right phones for me or will I be missing bass? I'm not a basshead in that I want accurate bass, not bloaty, muddy. I have MEElec M6's now, but find the bass sometimes a bit too much. Will the DBA-02's be good for me, or should I invest in something else? (if so, what?)
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Apr 22, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #4,114 of 4,469
Thanks tomscy2000! I also have Alessandro MS-1i's, which are quite bright. I have been enjoying these more with an uDac-2 now (which gives them a bit more bass thump). Would the DBA-02 be comparable to my MS-1i's in brightness/sound signature?

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #4,115 of 4,469
I only listened to the MS1i before for a short time, so I don't quite remember; you may have to ask someone else about that, but if impressions serve me right, the MS1 were actually slightly warmer. I can't say for sure though. The brightness really isn't the same quality as that of the Grado feel. For example, I can say that the SR325is is brighter than the DBA-02, but it's not the same kind of bright.

Mind you, the brightness of the DBA isn't really the type that is intolerable. It feels very linear, without the peaks that people normally associate with a "sparkly" IEM. That's why so many people like the DBA-02 so much.

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #4,116 of 4,469
I am a bit of a detail freak (I love discovering new things in music each time I upgrade), so I think I'll just be getting these. (I've already ordered Ety ER-4 triple flanges and Comply P-style foams
smile.gif
)

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #4,122 of 4,469
So these IEMs seem hard to get. My order with Bugden has been sitting pending backorder for over a month now. Meanwhile it looks like GD-audiobase doesn't have stock judging from the silence.

What to do? Does Fischer still make the DBA-02? lol.

Is there a comparable alternative?

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #4,123 of 4,469
Maybe take a look at the Head Direct RE0 or Hifiman RE-Zero, I actually sold my DBA's for a pair of Vsonic GR07's.

Quote:
So these IEMs seem hard to get. My order with Bugden has been sitting pending backorder for over a month now. Meanwhile it looks like GD-audiobase doesn't have stock judging from the silence.

What to do? Does Fischer still make the DBA-02? lol.

Is there a comparable alternative?

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #4,124 of 4,469
Apr 28, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #4,125 of 4,469

Users who are viewing this thread

Back