Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Apr 1, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #4,006 of 4,469
Quote:
Quote:
Also I have a question to everyone who has had experience with Etymotics/Monsters Tri-flanges on their own pair of DBA-02s. I'm looking to purchase some additional Tri-flange tips myself since I'm intending to relegate the default Tri-flanges to my CK100 since they tend to fit on them as well, am also curious if other brands would work better in terms of comfort wise. So for the Etymotics and Monster brands of Tri-flange tips, may I kindly know what model no. are you guys using on your own DBA-02? I just noticed that Etymotics have a whole range of models for their Tri-flange tips, ranging from model ER6i-18 to the latest ER5-15SM mean for the HF5. The Tri-flange designs btw them looked drastically different from each other, so I'm just trying to gather which model no. will fit the DBA-02, and possibly what fit experience you have with each model since I have no idea if they have any differences in terms of nozzle fit sizes. I will be asking my japanese friend to purchase them from a japanese webstore, and as these tips seem to cost almost similarly to Comply tips which is not exactly cheap, I will need some opinions first before deciding which to purchase in order not to make a wrong purchase for these.

TIA.

Bumps, for my question again. Really hope there's someone who has had experience with Etymotics/Monster Tri-flanges tips with their DBA-02s. Although I do understand from reading the other CK10 appreciation thread here on this forum, the Etymotics/Monster Tri-flanges will fit with my CK100 just fine since the nozzle sizes are the same between CK10/CK100, I still hope to actually find out which Etymotics sleeve models will fit the DBA-02 better, as it's actually my regular "out-and-about" portable IEM these days whenever I'm outside. Also Tomscy2000 has mentioned in his previous post abt the Monster SuperTips, I would also be interested in knowing if this will be a good fit as well as providing good sound combination for the DBA-02, probably considering going for the Gel Audiophile Kit instead of the Foam Kit since I already have my ER-CK100 foamies with me. The Monster SuperTips are only sold in kit sets from what I'm seeing from their official webstore, so since they aren't exactly cheap I will need to gather some opinions first, before putting down my money for a set.

There are many posts earlier in this thread about Etymotic tips on DBA-02's. Pretty sure the ER4 tips are the correct size. Here's a good source. I tried the Shure bi-flange tips (same as regular Ety tri's minus the smallest flange) which have a much longer, trimmable nozzle tube. They didn't fit my ears, so they are FS. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #4,007 of 4,469
Despite the model numbers all the Ety tips are the same.  There are only two types of Ety tri flanges.  White/grey and the clear blue/frosted look.  There are no other triflanges other than these two.  Ety went to great lengths to ensure they use the same tips on their whole lineup to save money.  i personally feel they even designed and tuned the MC5 around the tips they use even though it's a dynamic driver.

Apr 2, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #4,008 of 4,469
There are many posts earlier in this thread about Etymotic tips on DBA-02's. Pretty sure the ER4 tips are the correct size. Here's a good source. I tried the Shure bi-flange tips (same as regular Ety tri's minus the smallest flange) which have a much longer, trimmable nozzle tube. They didn't fit my ears, so they are FS. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Hi dfrost, thank you very much for taking your precious time to clarify my previous question. Yeah I'm actually kinda aware there have been previous posts mentioning about the Etymotic Tri-flange tips in this thread, that's precisely how I vaguely remembered Etymotic tips should work finely on the DBA-02, as affirmed by some others on this discussion thread as well. It's just because I'm slightly confused by the different models of the Etymotic Tri-flange tip models available on the market and before this I never had any experience with owning Etymotic phones before, thus I'm hoping for someone to step up and re-assure me as to which Tri-flange tips model works the best on the DBA-02. As you may realise, we currently have around 268 pages for this discussion thread and it's quite tedious to actually dig through every single post for just a small minor info, in fact actually before I came back to this thread recently sometime back to comment on one of Anaxilus's post regarding his reshelled molds for his DBA-02, previously I was actually still stuck on page 240 on my bookmarks for this discussion thread, because i haven't been following up with this thread very actively ever since I got my pair last November. (yeah I'm actually more of a lurker in this forum, even though I did joined Head-fi since 2005, you can see I don't have many posts here as I don't really engage in discussions much)

Appreciate your offer for the Shure Bi-flange tips, I'm also aware that the Shure's Grey single-flange works on the DBA-02 as well but currently I'm looking more into purchasing Tri-flange tips available from Etymotic Research, as I remembered reading in some of the threads recently that Etymotic Tri-flanges material appears to be softer, and more comfortable than Shure ones. Judging from pictures I don't think I have any particular issues with Etymotic's nozzle stem length, in fact the stock Tri-flanges that came along with the DBA-02 works pretty fine for my ears in terms of fit in that the housing shells rests just nicely outside of my outer part of my ears when it's on (it's the area just between the Anti-helix and Anti-tragus of our ears usually, can't remember the exact part of this ear anatomy so do pardon me) so I don't think I require any of the flange tips to have longer tube stems. In fact the angled nozzle tube design of the DBA-02 reminds me so much of my 3-years old ATH-CK9, which I had always loved for it's comfortable shape in terms of its housing shell design, since the size is just nice for my ears when worn over the ears. (same applies for the DBA-02 too)

Cheers and good day to you too.

Despite the model numbers all the Ety tips are the same.  There are only two types of Ety tri flanges.  White/grey and the clear blue/frosted look.  There are no other triflanges other than these two.  Ety went to great lengths to ensure they use the same tips on their whole lineup to save money.  i personally feel they even designed and tuned the MC5 around the tips they use even though it's a dynamic driver.

Hi Anaxilus, thanks for clarifying my previous question for me, it's good to know that their Tri-flange tip models are all the same. I'm also seeing from the Ear Plug Webstore link that dfrost had provided earlier, it seems to me that ER4 and ER6i shares the same compatible Tri-flange tips, so I believe I should have no problem with purchasing them now. Appreciate yr kind help and good day to you as well.

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #4,010 of 4,469

Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate your offer for the Shure Bi-flange tips, I'm also aware that the Shure's Grey single-flange works on the DBA-02 as well but currently I'm looking more into purchasing Tri-flange tips available from Etymotic Research, as I remembered reading in some of the threads recently that Etymotic Tri-flanges material appears to be softer, and more comfortable than Shure ones. Judging from pictures I don't think I have any particular issues with Etymotic's nozzle stem length, in fact the stock Tri-flanges that came along with the DBA-02 works pretty fine for my ears in terms of fit in that the housing shells rests just nicely outside of my outer part of my ears when it's on (it's the area just between the Anti-helix and Anti-tragus of our ears usually, can't remember the exact part of this ear anatomy so do pardon me) so I don't think I require any of the flange tips to have longer tube stems. In fact the angled nozzle tube design of the DBA-02 reminds me so much of my 3-years old ATH-CK9, which I had always loved for it's comfortable shape in terms of its housing shell design, since the size is just nice for my ears when worn over the ears. (same applies for the DBA-02 too)

Cheers and good day to you too.

fyi - Removal of the Ety triple flange can be quite painful.  Some have mentioned that you eventually get used to it.  Personally, I don't think it's a good thing if the skin in your ear hardens up to adapt.

Shure grey single flange are always quite comfortable.

Since I don't own the dba-2, I'm not certain if this will fit, but the Meelectronics A151 triple flanges are very comfortable, although they may be too large.

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #4,011 of 4,469
For everyone here experiencing pain using ety trip flanges- apply some baby/olive oil on the trip flanges to soften them. It worked for me ;D or you can use the natural process in which your natural ear oils will soften the flanges themselves. It makes it less painful to pull out. Everytime you apply the oil please make sure you clean the flanges afterwards. ;D

Apr 4, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #4,013 of 4,469
Quote:
thanks for the impressions @dfrost. just curious on why you want them to be recabled.

I had the second pair of DBA's recabled from new because I wanted a set with the mic/remote functions. The stock Fischer cable is great. (See my comments comparing the cables a few pages back.)

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #4,014 of 4,469
Ohman just ran into a disaster with my DBA02s. Lent them to a friend for a week, he said he kept them in a dry box most of the time when they weren't in use. I got them back today and they were busted, extremely soft now. Sound still comes through but its as if its playing through water or a wall or something. Anyone knows what might have happened? :/ My friend says they were fine till he returned them me and I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt :/

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #4,015 of 4,469

Quote:
Ohman just ran into a disaster with my DBA02s. Lent them to a friend for a week, he said he kept them in a dry box most of the time when they weren't in use. I got them back today and they were busted, extremely soft now. Sound still comes through but its as if its playing through water or a wall or something. Anyone knows what might have happened? :/ My friend says they were fine till he returned them me and I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt :/

The nozzle isn't clogged inappropriately, is it?

It is reasons like these I refuse to lend my IEMs to friends -- especially IEMs like DBA-02. Last time I lent out an IEM, it was gone when it returned to me. That's how I lost my MC5. 
triportsad.gif

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #4,016 of 4,469
Nope, both filters still intact. A first gen version with the paper-ish filters right at the top, nothing can get in. I suspect it might be a driver problem but idk what would cause something like what I described..

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #4,017 of 4,469
Try flexing the strain relief on the connector plug. I had a similar sound distortion when a connector went out due to a hard yank on the cable. If that's the problem, the connector ("TRS") can be replaced relatively easily with a bit of soldering and an inexpensive replacement plug.

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #4,018 of 4,469
I do soldering, it's not a cable issue for sure. Played with the plug in every way I could, no difference. Anyway I know what a loose TRS sounds like and it's not that. It's uniformly soft, not the treble-driver-only or bass-driver-only you'd get if there was a loose connection.

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #4,019 of 4,469
Dang! That's too bad.

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #4,020 of 4,469
2 things to look at. Filter could be clogged and I think is why they went to a deeper metal filter. Second is that the tweeter drivers could have failed. If you freind cranks and clips hs device or forgot they were plugged into something with the sound up it can take just the tweeters as clipping sends a lot of high frequency junk out. The crossover is very subtle so it may jusy sound dull if the tweeter's gone. More likely the first situation and an easy way to check is to carefully remove the filter and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back