Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Oct 6, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #2,701 of 4,469

Quote:

I think they must be working better w/ my fit because the DBAs don't sound V shaped to me.  I was actually surprised how forward the vocals could get.  I have nigh zero issues w/ the DBA vocals at this price point.  I'm actually hearing them more forward and smoother than the DDMs were to me.  Call me lucky.

For me the DBA does benefit a good deal from amping.  Much more than the SM3 or 530 for sure.

I agree with Anaxilus 100%  The vocals are the most prominent feature in my DBAs, albeit by an extremely small margin.

Mine also sound better with my uDac then with my Clip+.  I would call it more resolving. 

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #2,702 of 4,469
Are you aware that you don;t make my decision any easier? 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Well, I never used any portable amp as I  consider it too big, with to many cables.  I know PFEs can benefit from amping, but out on the street, where I use them most the time, it doesn't really matter too much, neither will DBAs advantages over audeos, I guess.

Well, maybe I should check something completly different, then?
biggrin.gif
Maybe I'll switch to HJE900 or a-jays three for a while. Anyway- thanks for your help and time.

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #2,703 of 4,469
The DBAs are MUCH easier to drive then the Phonak PBs.  I can listen to the DBA on my Clip at 1/2 volume and it's great.  With the PB, the volume has to be almost all the way up to volume match. 

Amping brings the SQ higher on the DBA, not necessarily the volume.

P.S. I am serious about selling me some filters though.  Maybe you could send me a pair of black and grey filters with the tool and I will send you the tool and my green filters back.  I know that I do not want the sound of the green filters and would part with them.

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #2,704 of 4,469
I didn't mean the DBAs don't improve with amping, cause they also are best using an amp. I just meant the PFEs need an amp to be driven properly is all. Without an amp, the PFEs just can't get enough volume on my players, especially with tracks that do not have a lot of loudness in them (like old vinyl rips). I agree, the DBAs sound sound better with an amp too. But you don't NEED an amp to get enough volume, as is the case with the PFEs for me. I like both, and will keep both.

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #2,705 of 4,469
Quote:
By popular demand, here are photos of my DBA-02's recabled with MEElec mic/remote wires. I can see no sign of the work that was performed, even under this magnification (right-hand housing on bottom, connected to mic/remote module).

Awesome!!! congrats to Ethan for a phenomenal work!! I'm glad also specified MEElec cable!!
Ethan, hope you find a little time to complete my DBA's recabling. Damn, three months already without DBAs!!!
frown.gif

Jose

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #2,706 of 4,469
Ethan you are the best... maybe I'll send you mind to recable in the future!

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #2,707 of 4,469
Quote:
Ethan you are the best... maybe I'll send you mind to recable in the future!

Please see Ethan's comments below about how difficult this job was. I'm sure he will complete the work previously committed, but it sounds like he'd rather not do this kind of thing in the future.

Quote:
Yes, one pair is shipped. The other is still in progress, it's a rather difficult thing to do, recabling these. I myself don't include any tips, but there are new tips with the new DBA.

I'm doing the recable. And you're got it right, its quite difficult to do. Especially when time is hard to come by. TWFKs and small space inside the housing both make the process much more difficult than it would be with most IEMs and exponentially more difficult than with headphones.

Ethan,

I apologize for any adverse requests that come to you as a result of my comments.

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #2,708 of 4,469
^ Well, I'll definitely be considerate to Ethan's own requests as well. Especially considering how great his service has been.

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #2,712 of 4,469
Usually I'm in the same boat, but sold off a few pc parts and I'm loaded now XD (not really). I'm looking forward the most to wearing them during work periods at school, I hate my ibuds and my m-50s are a tad large to lug around with my binder. 

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #2,713 of 4,469
No worries David, I may consider doing more in the future but this time I know to make sure that they know the process may take a month or so.

It's not so much that I would rather not do it, but mostly that it's frustrating if you have to do it in only a couple sittings. It's work best spread out so that you doesn't explode with frustration. So, I would rather not do it under a time constraint, to avoid those situations. It would be something for patient people to have me do.
And to be honest, I don't overly enjoy it, but it's more doing a favor.

I could make a tutorial but you'd have to be very skilled to get it right. And, for example, if you fry a driver with your soldering iron accidentally (which I've done twice, careful as I've been), you're on your own, whereas I have some spare drivers that I can use if I accidentally fry one and so forth. It's not for the faint of heart. Not to mention getting them open in the first place, it's easy to crack the shell.
Point is, I'd rather not expose people to those risks with these being in limited supply. I know, it's their loss and not mine (would be my gain if they had to buy a new set :p), but I think it's the proper thing to do.

It's an entirely different animal from say, recabling headphones.

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #2,714 of 4,469
"ethan"

That's certainly an amazing recable job you have performed.   I actually very recently used the same Meelectornic mic. cable to rewire a pair of Koss Portapro's for the purpose to use with an Ipod Touch.
But taken on the DBA 02's  It' s certainly not nowhere as easy, and not just a 30-45 min rewire job. So what you performed has my respect.
How easy is it not to fry a microdrive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back