Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Oct 3, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #2,671 of 4,469
And only those who knows would look at you and will tell himself: "Cool! He's wearing a pair of DBAs!"
And those who don't know would say: "A new pair from Skullcandies?"
biggrin.gif

Quote:
That's surprising, I just love the black and white of the DBA cable! It looks. Classy, in a strange sense.

Oct 3, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #2,672 of 4,469
Quote:
How about just putting some tech-flex on it? That's what I would do as the cable is awesome IMHO for the same reasons rawrster mentioned.

LFF, great idea!! could you please provide some info where to get the tech-flex?? I'd do that to my second set until I decide to go customs with the unmodified set.
For that, either I have to wait until I find a good audilogist to take the mold impressions in my country or wait for a trip to US to get them there.
Right now for me the next step would be either to customize the DBA-02 for ultimate comfort (and hoping SQ does not change for the worse) or Westone 5 (too much money though!!).
Wait, what about DBA-04??
regards, Jose

Oct 3, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #2,673 of 4,469

Quote:
if i like the dba sounding, what headphone should i consider for sub $200?

Yup, I hear the FA-003's are pretty close.

Shane did say DT880's.

Might want to look at some Grado's.

I just ordered the ATH-AD700 instead of the Grado since I listen to a huge variety of music I need an all-arounder.
I'm expecting a slightly bright/slightly forward/colored mids headphone whilst still being a neutral.

Oh and apparently my DBA's are fine now for some reason. The next morning I tried straightening the cable and fix the uneven parts on the cable and it was perfectly fine. Don't know if that solved the problem but it works perfectly fine now.

I'm scared to run with them however...

Oct 3, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #2,674 of 4,469
I was never a fan of the AD700. It had a great stage but it had about no bass to my ears. I sold those pretty quickly :p

Oct 3, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #2,675 of 4,469

Quote:
I was never a fan of the AD700. It had a great stage but it had about no bass to my ears. I sold those pretty quickly :p

How would you compare the bass of the AD700 to the DBA's?

I thought I was a bass head but after the hearing the DBA's I heard my favorite sound signature.
Neutral and slightly bright/forward and mid-centric. Don't care much for bass anymore.

Oh and I just ordered MEelectronics M6 for running/activities. Don't want to damage the DBA's.

Oct 3, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #2,676 of 4,469

Quote:
How would you compare the bass to the DBA's?

I thought I was a bass head but after the hearing the DBA's I heard my favorite sound signature.
Neutral and slightly bright/forward and mid-centric. Don't care much for bass anymore.

Oh and I just ordered MEelectronics M6 for running/activities. Don't want to damage the DBA's.

Right on the dot, for clarity, details, transparency and the right amount of bass quantity, the dba's are definitely the top contender. The pfe's and ck10's are a close second if you prefer this kind of sound signature.

Oct 3, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #2,677 of 4,469

Quote:

Right on the dot, for clarity, details, transparency and the right amount of bass quantity, the dba's are definitely the top contender. The pfe's and ck10's are a close second if you prefer this kind of sound signature.

Haha that's what I tell my friend and he thinks the CK10 is the best IEM... he'l be paying $100 more than I did however.

Oct 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #2,678 of 4,469

Quote:
Haha that's what I tell my friend and he thinks the CK10 is the best IEM... he'l be paying $100 more than I did however.

Come to think of it, the ck10 shares very similar traits with the dba-02.  The ck10 has much refined highs but lesser bass quantity and quality imo. The dba's still is the better "balanced" top contender to me and that's coming from memory with a friend's ck10 as i don't own them. I enjoyed the ck10 alot too.

Oct 3, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #2,680 of 4,469

Quote:
LFF, great idea!! could you please provide some info where to get the tech-flex?? I'd do that to my second set until I decide to go customs with the unmodified set.
For that, either I have to wait until I find a good audilogist to take the mold impressions in my country or wait for a trip to US to get them there.
Right now for me the next step would be either to customize the DBA-02 for ultimate comfort (and hoping SQ does not change for the worse) or Westone 5 (too much money though!!).
Wait, what about DBA-04??
regards, Jose

I don't know. You can probably google it.

I get mine from a local hobby store that sells RC Cars.

Oct 4, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #2,681 of 4,469
Still a happy camper with the dba's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #2,683 of 4,469
Quote:
So why are you guys interested in a re-cable?

I wanted the recable to add a mic/remote function to DBA's.

I had a pair of MEElec M9P's with the nice new MEElec cable that were going unused after getting my first pair of DBA's last June. So Ethan did the recable using the MEElec cable+mic/remote. (I wouldn't have said it was his work if he hadn't already admitted it.) He did a fantastic job - they look like they came that way from the factory. There is absolutely zero evidence that they have been dismantled, reworked and re-assembled.

If I'd had an M6P instead, then the mic would have been correctly located with over-ear cable routing. With the shorter distance from housing to mic used on the M9P's, its easy to just unloop the wire from over-ear when I take/make a call. The remote function, which I'll use as much as the mic, works fine, too.

I've twice done SQ comparisons against my original DBA's that have 300-500 hours. With the same tips, the SQ differences between those and the new set (with deeper metal filters) are nearly imperceptible. The old ones may be a teeny, tiny bit brighter and/or more efficient (louder). Wouldn't surprise me if that's just the slight difference in wire resistance between the two cables.

BTW, after all that use, including some days when I used them 6-8 hours straight while working on my new deck, the black/white cable of the original set is still doing just fine. It has never untwisted (although I occasionally give it a re-twist), and there's no sign of fraying, splitting or other issues at any of the contact points. The sections near the housings have developed a memory from over-ear wear, but the rest of the cable is unchanged from new. I do prefer the MEElec chin slider, shorter distance from "Y" to housings, and shirt clip. (I've had an Etymotic shirt clip on the old DBA's from new.) Those old ones will become my backup pair.

I tried all the new DBA tips and keep coming back to my original preference: the OEM black silicone single flange or identical sounding Shure gray "soft flex" that are more secure on the nozzles. With those I achieve a great seal, deep insertion (housings are pointing away from head), and of course, that wonderful balanced DBA sound of "just music filling my head".

So here's a big public "Thank You" to Ethan for his willingness to do the extremely tedious recabling job, and a promise to never advertise that capability, or ask him to do it again!

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #2,685 of 4,469

Quote:
I wanted the recable to add a mic/remote function to DBA's.

I had a pair of MEElec M9P's with the nice new MEElec cable that were going unused after getting my first pair of DBA's last June. So Ethan did the recable using the MEElec cable+mic/remote. (I wouldn't have said it was his work if he hadn't already admitted it.) He did a fantastic job - they look like they came that way from the factory. There is absolutely zero evidence that they have been dismantled, reworked and re-assembled.

If I'd had an M6P instead, then the mic would have been correctly located with over-ear cable routing. With the shorter distance from housing to mic used on the M9P's, its easy to just unloop the wire from over-ear when I take/make a call. The remote function, which I'll use as much as the mic, works fine, too.

I've twice done SQ comparisons against my original DBA's that have 300-500 hours. With the same tips, the SQ differences between those and the new set (with deeper metal filters) are nearly imperceptible. The old ones may be a teeny, tiny bit brighter and/or more efficient (louder). Wouldn't surprise me if that's just the slight difference in wire resistance between the two cables.

BTW, after all that use, including some days when I used them 6-8 hours straight while working on my new deck, the black/white cable of the original set is still doing just fine. It has never untwisted (although I occasionally give it a re-twist), and there's no sign of fraying, splitting or other issues at any of the contact points. The sections near the housings have developed a memory from over-ear wear, but the rest of the cable is unchanged from new. I do prefer the MEElec chin slider, shorter distance from "Y" to housings, and shirt clip. (I've had an Etymotic shirt clip on the old DBA's from new.) Those old ones will become my backup pair.

I tried all the new DBA tips and keep coming back to my original preference: the OEM black silicone single flange or identical sounding Shure gray "soft flex" that are more secure on the nozzles. With those I achieve a great seal, deep insertion (housings are pointing away from head), and of course, that wonderful balanced DBA sound of "just music filling my head".

So here's a big public "Thank You" to Ethan for his willingness to do the extremely tedious recabling job, and a promise to never advertise that capability, or ask him to do it again!

I see! Now that makes sense. I wonder if Fischer Audio could add that feature as an option. I'm sure many iPhone users would appreciate having a mic on such great headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back