Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Sep 27, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #2,611 of 4,469

Quote:
yeah great all-around review thread

i picked RE-ZERO as my first <100$ IEM based on his remarks (plus reading 10-15 other threads...no point in spending your money  without first doing some thorough market research)

his thread is the reference thread , but i wanted to pick some other options as well...what would you suggest ? DBA-02 OR STH ELSE ?

I was using the UE SF 5 pros before I got the RE0s. Pricewise, it was a downgrade but soundwise (to my preference) I think it was an upgrade. When I got the DBA-02's just recently, I feel that it was neither an upgrade or a downgrade from my RE0's soundwise. Do take my comments with a grain of salt
beerchug.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #2,612 of 4,469
The earphone closest to the sound of the DBA-02 that I've used is the RE0.  I wouldn't call them the same, but there are many similarities in how they present sound.  They sound significantly different from each other though.  Could one call the DBA-02 a better RE0?  I'm better off calling the DBA-02 the BA driver equivalent of the RE0, but that's about it.

Sep 27, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #2,613 of 4,469

From my listening RE0 more laid back, less energy, thin, light on bass in comparison to DBA.  YMMV as is obviously the case above.

Sep 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #2,614 of 4,469
Agree, they are not the same.  It's just that both earphones' gearing are alike in what they try to offer.  The DBA-02 is the better.  Then again, I think the RE-ZERO is the better to the RE0 too, so...yeah.  I wasn't too fond of the RE0 when I had it.  It was an earphone that tried but, in my eye, simply fell a little short in a lot of areas.  It didn't do much wrong, but it also wasn't outstanding either.  There's a lot of like for it simply because it doesn't fail in any way.

I see why the DBA-02 is so popular and impressive too.  There really aren't a lot of higher end IEMs that are as uncolored as the DBA-02.  Many of the high end IEMs simply fit in a niche place and try and do everything fine but a certain thing amazingly well.  Why is the ER4 so good?  Because it's so well balanced.  Why is the RE0, RE-ZERO, DBA-02, and some others really well liked?  Because they're balanced.  If you look at a lot of the top end products like the Triple.Fi 10, W3, UM3X, IE8, SE530, SE535, SM3, and so on, you will repeatedly find relatively colored earphones.  I think people become pleasantly surprised when they run across a product that actually is balanced for once.

Do I like the DBA-02?  Kinda.

Do I think it does a lot of things very well?  Kinda.

Do I think it can be improved?  Yeah, I think it falls short on some thing.

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #2,615 of 4,469

Quote:
^ why not? Driver technology has nothing to do with sound signature. My IE8 and RE-252 are so different, yet use the same technology. IE8 has a beefy, warm, thick sound, and the RE-252 is very detailed, uncoloured, analytical, coldish (not completely cold however) sound. And my triple BA SM3 sounds more like a dynamic iem. So really, the number of drivers and the technology cannot be used as objective criterions.

I totally agree with  you Photofan1986. My DBA-02 (dual armature) sound closer to my RE0's (dynamic)  than  to my SF5 pros (dual armature).  So sound signature is not solely dependent on the driver tech

Sep 28, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #2,616 of 4,469

Quote:
The earphone closest to the sound of the DBA-02 that I've used is the RE0.  I wouldn't call them the same, but there are many similarities in how they present sound.  They sound significantly different from each other though.  Could one call the DBA-02 a better RE0?  I'm better off calling the DBA-02 the BA driver equivalent of the RE0, but that's about it.

Yes, I concur. Though they may sound similar as i've pointed in my previous posts, they too have their differences. I equally love both these phones and dont really consider one as that much better than the other

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #2,617 of 4,469

Quote:
Why is the ER4 so good?  Because it's so well balanced. 

Haha I'd disagree with you vehemently there. The ER4s have ear-piercingly sharp trebles and relatively lack bass, imo. And that's coming from the DBAs, which are already supposed to have aggressive trebles. The ER4s make the DBA treble sound veiled, but I'm not too sure how much of that is exaggerated/artificial, haven't had the chance to A/B against live performances since I don't own them.

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #2,618 of 4,469

Quote:
From my listening RE0 more laid back, less energy, thin, light on bass in comparison to DBA.  YMMV as is obviously the case above.

This is what i feel too when i compared both of them.

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #2,619 of 4,469

Quote:
Haha I'd disagree with you vehemently there. The ER4s have ear-piercingly sharp trebles and relatively lack bass, imo. And that's coming from the DBAs, which are already supposed to have aggressive trebles. The ER4s make the DBA treble sound veiled, but I'm not too sure how much of that is exaggerated/artificial, haven't had the chance to A/B against live performances since I don't own them.

I can't say I'd call the ER4S treble to be sharp.  It's more tame than say the PFE treble yet no one complains about the PFE treble.  It's also rolled off above I think 12kHz or so which gives it a relative inability to be overly sharp or peircing.  It just doesn't play high enough to do so.  Etymotic even specifically toned down the top end a little to a more accepted level for modern recordings.  The bass on the ER4S is actually quite good, the midbass at least.  It does drop like a rock on the bottom though and doesn't output much below 60Hz.  However, higher bass is balanced and full with good articulation and energy.  With a bit more midrange presence than what most other earphones are geared for, it may be just that the response isn't the typical V shape people are used to and the bass ends up lighter than what one might expect.  I wouldn't exactly call the ER4S veiled, but I might call it constrained in a sense.  Dynamics and energy aren't as effortless as some other earphones, but this does help it present in a more balanced manner.  I'd be fun to own another ER4S again, especially since I have a better DAC/amp now to operate them.  I just haven't been all that compelled to do so being they're only a single driver BA which has inherent limitations in breadth of frequency response.  I'm more partial to the dual driver options simply because they cover the spectrum better.  I probably should purchase some "reference" hardware again though.  I keep trying to whittle down my collection back to my one favorite, but doing so means I keep selling great earphones that I would kind of like to keep if I didn't think they'd sit in their cases most of the time.  I think it might be nice just to hold onto a few of nice ones just for reference points when comparing newcomers.

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #2,620 of 4,469

Quote:
I can't say I'd call the ER4S treble to be sharp.  It's more tame than say the PFE treble yet no one complains about the PFE treble.  It's also rolled off above I think 12kHz or so which gives it a relative inability to be overly sharp or peircing.  It just doesn't play high enough to do so.  Etymotic even specifically toned down the top end a little to a more accepted level for modern recordings.  The bass on the ER4S is actually quite good, the midbass at least.  It does drop like a rock on the bottom though and doesn't output much below 60Hz.  However, higher bass is balanced and full with good articulation and energy.  With a bit more midrange presence than what most other earphones are geared for, it may be just that the response isn't the typical V shape people are used to and the bass ends up lighter than what one might expect.  I wouldn't exactly call the ER4S veiled, but I might call it constrained in a sense.  Dynamics and energy aren't as effortless as some other earphones, but this does help it present in a more balanced manner.  I'd be fun to own another ER4S again, especially since I have a better DAC/amp now to operate them.  I just haven't been all that compelled to do so being they're only a single driver BA which has inherent limitations in breadth of frequency response.  I'm more partial to the dual driver options simply because they cover the spectrum better.  I probably should purchase some "reference" hardware again though.  I keep trying to whittle down my collection back to my one favorite, but doing so means I keep selling great earphones that I would kind of like to keep if I didn't think they'd sit in their cases most of the time.  I think it might be nice just to hold onto a few of nice ones just for reference points when comparing newcomers.

If anything, I was referring to the ER4Ps, but I think aside from the added impedance level the same soundsignatures should apply..? But anyway, I'm not too sure regarding the technical specs of the IEM itself, but from a quick A/B (ER4+MiniboxES/DBA+MiniboxES) it seemed like the ER4P had way more agressive trebles (the comment about being veiled was a comparative remark directed at the DBA, actually). And due to psychoacoustics people percieve the bass less than most other frequencies (e.g. a completely flat frequency response would sound horribly imbalanced in IEMs, headphones or speaker systems alike), and hence a SLIGHT emphasis on the bass frequencies (not overtly v-shaped but slightly so) may be actually required for a 'balanced' sound, if you're looking for a natural response from your IEMs. Coming from your statistical point of view I'd understand why you'd call the ER4s balanced, but when I listened to them it just somehow wasn't so?

Sep 28, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #2,621 of 4,469
I meant balanced in prsentation, like dyanmic range, articulation, energy, etc.  Some earphones are aggressive or laid back, some lack the ability to articulate between subtle sounds and loud sound.  By balanced, I mean the ER4 (S in my case) portrays these things in an even, controlled sort of way.  I think the veil of the DBA-02 is mainly from the difference in texture, or I should say the lack of texture with the DBA-02.  You'll get more "stuff" presented to you with the ER4.  More stuff is always good as long as it's reproduced accurately.

I really should but an ER4S again, haha.  It's been quite a while since I've listened to one.  I like the cord change on the newer ones too.  The old cord was a tank, but it was also stiff, heavy, and carried a lot of microphonics.

Sep 28, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #2,622 of 4,469

Quote:
If anything, I was referring to the ER4Ps, but I think aside from the added impedance level the same soundsignatures should apply..? 

I figured you meant 'P'.  Sounds like it.  No, despite the FRC graphs on Headroom the 'P' and 'S' are noticeably different to my ears.  The 'S' is far more balanced and refined in sound than the 'P'.  I could listen to the 'S' all day long, the 'P' no more than 2-3 songs.  I couldn't think of an occasion where I would want to listen to the 'P' at all which is why I never bothered w/ the whole adapter concept.  For my ears the 'S' was the only choice.  Haven't heard the 'B' yet though.  

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #2,624 of 4,469

Quote:
Someone please sell me 1 pair of medium Shure Olives to try before I sell these IEMs.

OK... I'll do that, but you have to promise something.

Check your PM for details...

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #2,625 of 4,469
Has anyone tried putting RE0 filters on the DBA-02? I actually placed the filters to protect the inner filter from earwax and other dirt and from my observation, the treble is now a bit tamed and bass has improved, thought I cant be sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back