Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Sep 29, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #2,627 of 4,469
They're actually replacement filters for my RE0.  They are made of fabric with adhesives on the side. It's a bit large for the nozzle but you can easily wrap the edges around them. They're supposed to be "acoustically transparent" (doesn't change sound quality) but i cant be sure because i feel a bit of a change of the sound coming out of the DBA-02s. My primary purpose actually is for protection to keep the nozzle clean but I feel that it sort of changes the sound a bit

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #2,629 of 4,469
Quote:
They're actually replacement filters for my RE0.  They are made of fabric with adhesives on the side. It's a bit large for the nozzle but you can easily wrap the edges around them. They're supposed to be "acoustically transparent" (doesn't change sound quality) but i cant be sure because i feel a bit of a change of the sound coming out of the DBA-02s. My primary purpose actually is for protection to keep the nozzle clean but I feel that it sort of changes the sound a bit

Based on the function of any type of filter I would hazard a guess that a filter would change whatever it is filtering. In this case it would be audio. The more dense the filter is the more it can change the sound. Material type and design of the filters would also impact the sound signature.

It might be possible that those filters don't really change the sound much at all, but the sound will still change some. You're putting something in the path of the sound waves. The thing that's put in the path can absorb/block/reflect some of the sound waves. So the sound signature would probably change, if only a minuscule amount.

When I first got my DBAs, I put a tiny amount of cotton (from a q-tip) in the nozzles to take the treble down a notch. By doing so it also increased the bass slightly.

If you're hearing a difference in the sound signature then I would guess that the filters are changing it a little bit - even though they're "acoustically transparent." What kind of purpose would an "acoustically transparent" filter have? Other than being a fancy mesh or screen to keep stuff out of the nozzle and away from the driver(s).

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #2,630 of 4,469
I toyed around with those filters back when I had my RE0 to gauge how much impact they had on sound.  The difference is pretty minimal.  Can you hear a difference?  Sure.  Is it much at all?  No, not really.  The foam in the nozzle (RE0, RE-ZERO, etc.) has magnitudes more impact on the end result than these earwax filters.

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #2,631 of 4,469
Yep, let your ears be the judge - as always. I trashed the foam/fiberfill tweak because I can hear losing details on the highs and it degrades the bass. If you can't hear the difference between filtered or not - by all means go with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #2,632 of 4,469

Quote:
What kind of purpose would an "acoustically transparent" filter have? Other than being a fancy mesh or screen to keep stuff out of the nozzle and away from the driver(s).

Exactly that, to keep crud away from the drivers. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #2,633 of 4,469
I actually had one of the filters fall out when I owned these. I could not tell the difference between which one had them off and which one had them even when I tried. If it made a difference its a very very small difference.

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #2,634 of 4,469
Thanks for all the input guys. My primary purpose of putting the filters was actually to protect the drivers and not to change the sound sig. If there's any change in sound, I think it's very minimal and the important thing is am enjoying them equally with or without the filters. So am going to keep the filters on as this would offer extra protection to the drivers. i can also imagine the difficulty in cleaning the inner filter if and when the time comes considering that its placed so deep inside so might as well apply some preventive measures by applying the filters (the ones from my RE0s)

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #2,635 of 4,469

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys. My primary purpose of putting the filters was actually to protect the drivers and not to change the sound sig. If there's any change in sound, I think it's very minimal and the important thing is am enjoying them equally with or without the filters. So am going to keep the filters on as this would offer extra protection to the drivers. i can also imagine the difficulty in cleaning the inner filter if and when the time comes considering that its placed so deep inside so might as well apply some preventive measures by applying the filters (the ones from my RE0s)

Oh yeah, you have the built-in filters. They're the same kind of thing as Westone uses. If you clean your ears, there shouldn't be anything that will cause damage.

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #2,637 of 4,469
If you believe that these are top tier like many in here do then I'd say yes. I didn't notice much improvement but more of a side grade of different signature with e-Q7 or CK10 or any of my other universals I had at that time that are considered top tier. Of course bang for your buck won't be as high as the DBA-02 but if you want better then I would put your money down and get a custom..or well do research first and then put your money down.

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #2,638 of 4,469
Well my "audio heaven" bubble has just been burst violently a few minutes ago. After using them for around hour tonight, I put them on again a few minutes later and the left monitor has degraded in SQ and volume greatly. When listening to music the left monitor sounds muffed and quieter while the right still sounds nice and perfect.

If anyone knows the solution to this problem, please let me know.

Otherwise, Ethan can you please go over the warranty with me, the address sending it back to you, and how long a warranty/replacement repair can take to get back to me?

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #2,640 of 4,469
I wish it was as simple as that but that's not the case
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back