Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Aug 5, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #1,291 of 4,469
How is the cable quality with these? Does it seem like it will last a lifetime, even with body oils and the like? Or is it more of a "regular quality" cable that will eventually start to break down?

Also, can anyone comment on both the fit and sound signature of the DBA-02 versus the Phonak Audeo PFE?

Thanks.
smile_phones.gif

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #1,292 of 4,469

Quote:
At one point FA had decided to discontinue the DBA-02, but they have since changed their mind (more than likely with the help of user impressions here) and there will be more produced for a while to come. It's simply a product that is much higher than their other products in cost. To produce too many would be a large hit on their bank accounts. They are a more mainstream audio compan in Russia, not so much known for their niche (more expensive) products as their solid low budget offerings.

This is the downfall of poor marketing.  There have been a lot of good products made that simply didn't sell because the company was too narrow-minded to see the customer base they hoped for.  I keep seeing this time and time again where an amazing product is made, doesn't sell, and then the company discontinues it not knowing that a pile of people actually want the buy the thing.  We as consumers can't read minds.  We don't know something exists unless they tell us or we go out of the way to look for a product we don't know exists.

Aug 5, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #1,293 of 4,469
Last a lifetime? I have never owned an IEM that has passed that test, since I have gotten rid of most of them. LOL.

The cable is sort of "westone lite" for lack of a better term in that it's twisted, thin, but very flexible and wraps behind the ear very well, no hassle. Will it every succumb to body oils and such? No jdea. Also, it comes with ear guides of you want to protect the cable, but I don't use them.

Overall, I like the cable. Read Joker's review (the mega thread of IEM reviews) and he has some cable comments.

As for the PFEs and the DBAs, I once owned the PFEs and loved them except for a minor problem, to me their required amping. And I used the black filter. But the DBAs are fuller, have more body, yet are also very nice and neutral (by my definition) and balanced, moreso than the PFEs. However, I am starting to use my T3 all the time, because it's so small, no hassle (didn't have it for the PFEs), and I agree with Ethan, unamped the DBAs are fine, but amping delivers a litttle extra "body" to the sound that really makes them impressive. May be true of all IEMs, of course. But I am turning into an amp convert.

Quote:
How is the cable quality with these? Does it seem like it will last a lifetime, even with body oils and the like? Or is it more of a "regular quality" cable that will eventually start to break down?

Also, can anyone comment on both the fit and sound signature of the DBA-02 versus the Phonak Audeo PFE?

Thanks.
smile_phones.gif

Aug 5, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #1,294 of 4,469

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #1,298 of 4,469
Aug 6, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #1,300 of 4,469
I finally got mine back in the mail today along with an ipod nano that I bought as a backup player. If the DBA-02 are able to take up most of the listening time over the weekend that will be pretty impressive as my customs have taken the top spot.

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #1,302 of 4,469

Quote:
I finally got mine back in the mail today along with an ipod nano that I bought as a backup player. If the DBA-02 are able to take up most of the listening time over the weekend that will be pretty impressive as my customs have taken the top spot.

Congrats on their return.
I am anxiously awaiting mine. The SM3 so far have been a minor disappointment. Not giving up hope, though... They are still spankin' new.

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #1,303 of 4,469
When will Bugden Audio be getting the DBA-02's?  At the order page it says they're backordered until the end of July, but it's already Aug. 6th.

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #1,304 of 4,469

Aug 6, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #1,305 of 4,469
Ethan you must use your powers of canadian charm to persuade those russians to work faster 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back