Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Aug 5, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #1,276 of 4,469
Quote:
interesting fact about the driver, i wouldn't know about the manufacture process that they buy driver from other instead making it them self.
i guess its cheaper that way to cut R&D cost.
so even its the same driver with different IEM what make it sound different? the housing? pcb?

There's quite a few things that goes into how they sound. If you want a good read you should check out the Home-Made IEMs thread. From reading that thread it seems that the things that have the biggest influence on the sound signature is the type of acoustic filter used (if they are used) and the crossover (if it's effectively implemented, and if there is more than one driver). Other things that can have an effect on the sound signature are the length and diameter of the acoustic tubing used (if it's used), the shell material used, and if there is porting or air space used for the air port on the driver.

There's a little more to it than that, but the Home-Made IEMs thread will give you a good idea of everything that goes into it.

On topic: I can't wait to get the DBA's as I've been without a good IEM for about a month now. The Custom 3's are good, but they are terribly uncomfortable.

Edit: joker beat me to it
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #1,278 of 4,469
I should get mine tomorrow so I'm pretty excited to see how they match with my dac/amp then as I had a different one the last time i had them at hand. I also get to try those sensorcom tips that I got for them but never was able to try. I'm not expecting much since triple flanges work great but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #1,279 of 4,469

Did you buy it from ethan?
Quote:
I should get mine tomorrow so I'm pretty excited to see how they match with my dac/amp then as I had a different one the last time i had them at hand. I also get to try those sensorcom tips that I got for them but never was able to try. I'm not expecting much since triple flanges work great but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #1,280 of 4,469
Yes but I got mine around two months ago. It's just been going around the country the last 5-6 weeks. I thought that was pretty obvious but I guess I wasn't clear.

Aug 5, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #1,284 of 4,469
so whats the verdict then? With my crappy mp3s on my ipod make my dba sound really bad?

Aug 5, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #1,285 of 4,469

Quote:
I wounder if my Nokia 5800 XM is sufficient enough as a source...anyone have an input on this?

I use mine direct from either the Blackberry Curve (music on micro SD card) or iPod Classic. Typically the volume is at 50-60% with either source. BTW, all my music is 256 VBR AAC files from iTunes. SQ is plenty good enough, but as others have said, the DBA's are good enough to show a poor mastering job.

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #1,286 of 4,469
i have lots of music, coming from friends, internet, cds etc but lots are low bitrate.

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #1,287 of 4,469
You mean below 192? If so, that could be a problem, but only one way to tell. I would rather listen to a well mastered/produced 160k track than a poorly done flac file. Anything below 160, could be trouble.

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #1,288 of 4,469

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #1,289 of 4,469
We can discuss it all we want but at the end of the day none of us can confirm whether it will sound good or not. Wait until you get them and see for yourself. What sounds good to me may sound horrible to someone else.

Most of my tracks for portable are v0 mp3 up to FLAC although I did listen to the DBA-02 with some 128 or 192kbps. Mastering does matter but bitrate does as well. It also matters if you can tell the difference but that's another topic in itself. The DBA-02 was one of the few earphones I've tried that I've noticed crap in crap out on my clip+ that much which is pretty impressive imo. I do have some albums that are mastered very well and they sound great straight out of a clip+.

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #1,290 of 4,469

If you can, try to get the guitar hero version of death magnetic. It sounds so much better and actually made the album listenable.
Quote:
. As soon as I heard the DBAs, as with most new IEMs I just had to hear what all my tracks sounded like through them. Death Magnetic was the first to hit the trash bin. Utter, utter garbage. It makes me wonder if that album was mastered with the pair of SkullCandies that Metallica promotes. As my friend says, Metallica's latest genre change was to Commercial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back