Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jun 3, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #481 of 4,469
I currently own a pair of Westone UM1s, and am really happy with the sound except for a few gripes: The bass isn't tight and is hardly present at all at lower volumes, the separation is not good until paired with an amp, and the sq has a more "rounded" tone to it and I'd prefer something slightly more analytical yet easy to listen to at the same time (is that contradictory?). Could anyone tell me how would the DBA-02s fit these preferences? Haha I just recently shelled out 200SGD for the westones, and being a student my budget is really tight. But if these headphones are really as good as everyone says they are I'd gladly pay another 200, and then stick with them for the rest of my life haha.

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #482 of 4,469

Quote:
I currently own a pair of Westone UM1s, and am really happy with the sound except for a few gripes: The bass isn't tight and is hardly present at all at lower volumes, the separation is not good until paired with an amp, and the sq has a more "rounded" tone to it and I'd prefer something slightly more analytical yet easy to listen to at the same time (is that contradictory?). Could anyone tell me how would the DBA-02s fit these preferences? Haha I just recently shelled out 200SGD for the westones, and being a student my budget is really tight. But if these headphones are really as good as everyone says they are I'd gladly pay another 200, and then stick with them for the rest of my life haha.

Sounds like you need DBA-02's.
wink_face.gif

The bass is tight and deep on the DBA-02's in a non-exagerated way. They sound great a low volume as well. The DBA-02's are very neutral and non-fatiguing. I say you save up for a pair.

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #483 of 4,469

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #484 of 4,469

Quote:
Sounds like you need DBA-02's.
wink_face.gif

The bass is tight and deep on the DBA-02's in a non-exagerated way. They sound great a low volume as well. The DBA-02's are very neutral and non-fatiguing. I say you save up for a pair.

agreed totally with your review... jus gotten the dba, it presents the way music should be played, enjoying every min of it  now... no hint of fatigue but balanced and musical imo...
not sure why but it sounded very harsh and dry out of the box for me. it took quite awhile to burn in before experiencing the sound u experienced. (which i thought its quite odd as ba doesn't require burning in)

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #485 of 4,469
Haha i see someone has been wholly converted to being a fan of FA. And yeap I am, going to audition them (hopefully soon) and get them as soon as possible :) The wait is killing me though. I really hope they turn out to be as good as everyone says! :D

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #486 of 4,469
Well I finally got mine in the mail today. I haven't had much time to listen to them but the cable is pretty damn long and the Y split to the drivers is easily the longest I've ever had.

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #487 of 4,469
CONGRATS @ rawrster buddy. Hurry up with first impressions! lol

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #488 of 4,469
lol you want first impressions now do you :p I've only listened to them for like 5 minutes as I've been pretty busy today but I'll work on that now.

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #490 of 4,469
FIRST IMPRESSIONS BUDDY!!  It's just that, first impressions. We know it can change as they break in.

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #491 of 4,469
I'm excited to hear your impressions too! I totally forgot about Saturday delivery by USPS, I was expecting yours to arrive Monday. Guess I'm used to the 5 days/week delivery from Canada Post.

About the cable, I didn't notice it to be any longer than anything else I have, and the length to the Y splitter is the same as on my Westones or very close to it. The DBA-02 might be an inch longer on the Y split if anything from memory.
Unfortunately I can't compare them at the moment as I seem to have lost my DBA-02s... hopefully not on the bus or anywhere I'm likely to never see them again. I don't know what I'd do until the next stock arrives, perhaps I would have to go with the SM3, but that's way too much money... let's not think of that just yet :)

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #492 of 4,469
Well these are definitely more balanced than my CK10. There's a bit more decay on the bass but still nowhere near bass head levels. Impact seems to be a bit more than the CK10 as well. It does seem close to the CK10 sound signature in that they are both analytical but the dba 02 doesn't have as much of a spike in the upper treble area but the dba 02 have more bass. I think these would be more popular than the CK10 are. Cymbals is done better on the dba 02 thats for sure. CK10 are definitely more crystal clear than these so far.

I'll have to get used to it over the next couple days. Unfortunately the build quality can't touch the CK10. It's good but my standard is set so high because of the CK10. Isolation is good as I'm using triple flanges from Shure as I didn't like the stock single flanges. They had some issue fitting properly for some reason. The way the driver is shaped remind me of the ER6i somewhat so maybe that is why the isolation is quite good on these with triple flanges. I haven't tested it out but it seems to surpass my CK10 and e-Q7 in isolation.

The package is great. It's nice to have an earphone that is so easily accessible unlike something like the Shure E4 which had bulletproof like plastic packaging.

@ethan: the Y split is definitely around 4-5 inches longer on the dba 02 than my CK10 which makes it pretty long compared to what I'm used to.

@koonhua: I'll gladly compare the DDM if someone gives me theirs :) Although I doubt I'll get them anytime soon. All indications lead me to believe they are not for me and I've recently gotten confirmation from a trustworthy headfi'er who told me that they definitely are not for me.

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #494 of 4,469
Imaging seems to be ok and not anything special but I haven't compared it directly with the CK10 so I'll find out more probably tomorrow. Stage is a bit strange however. I can't exactly put into words what exactly makes it strange. Stage does seem a little bit wider than what I usually experience however.

Another non sound comment but the strain reliefs seem to be able to be improved on. The one near the housing would be better if it was longer and the same thing for the plug. However based on pics the plug looks like it is hard like any other kind of plug but the entire thing seems to feel like a strain relief. Y split is fine and the cable slider is the same kind on the Monster iem's (MD,Copper,Golds) but I prefer the one on the CK10. There's nothing wrong with it as it is just preference.

@koonhua: lol..that's like me paying for it which defeats the purpose!

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #495 of 4,469
LOL  @ you guys. Thanks for the first impressions @ rawrster. Doesn't seem like these are for me at this point. Makes sense since the DDM is my favorite IEM to listen too right now (although the FX700 is overall a better earphone).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back