Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Dec 12, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #3,481 of 4,469
DBA-02 finally arrived! Currently, I am hearing a bit of sibilance with them (other than that, in the tracks where the DBA-02 don't bring out the sibilance, it is great!)... so, fiddling with the tips to figure out if it is the seal. Going to put it through a burn-in in a bit as well. Hopefully the sibilance would just go away.
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #3,482 of 4,469

DBA-02 finally arrived! Currently, I am hearing a bit of sibilance with them (other than that, in the tracks where the DBA-02 don't bring out the sibilance, it is great!)... so, fiddling with the tips to figure out if it is the seal. Going to put it through a burn-in in a bit as well. Hopefully the sibilance would just go away.
tongue.gif

You joined two months ago and you have 299 posts. That has to be a record. :wink:

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #3,483 of 4,469

Quote:
You joined two months ago and you have 299 posts. That has to be a record.
wink.gif

I am enjoying my stay here and feeling quite passionate about this entire audiophilic experience.
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #3,484 of 4,469

Quote:
You joined two months ago and you have 299 posts. That has to be a record.
wink.gif

Oh I don't know, but who's counting anyway. 
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #3,485 of 4,469
Dec 12, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #3,487 of 4,469

Quote:
I am pretty sure Anaxilus has me beat on that count. By the way, I kept misspelling your name as Analixus.
tongue.gif

Been done before w/ much more deliberation I assure you.  
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #3,488 of 4,469
Still in the process of reviewing my new DBA-02s but, I have found that the DBA-02s do have bass but have more bass and a higher low frequency. A.K.A. when listening to Dubstep the bass is recessed but when listening to Kid Cudi the bass picks up and kicks. Will keep testing and will post a review.

I'm interested in an amp that goes well with the DBA-02s if anyone has anymore info.

Anyone know the details on the different tips ? You have small, medium, large, triple flange and then the special last two. To me it seems like a large made with sturdy material and the other made from soft material. Anyone know the specifics ?

P.S. this thread is very long because people posted for pages and pages, where are my DBA-02s.

Dec 13, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #3,489 of 4,469

Quote:
Quote:
I am pretty sure Anaxilus has me beat on that count. By the way, I kept misspelling your name as Analixus.
tongue.gif

Been done before w/ much more deliberation I assure you.  
wink.gif

Can't imagine why...
wink_face.gif

atsmile.gif

The really odd thing is when they spell MY name that way. 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #3,490 of 4,469

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can't imagine why...
wink_face.gif

atsmile.gif

The really odd thing is when they spell MY name that way. 
rolleyes.gif

Easy to understand.  As George Bernard Shaw said, 'We are two identical quantum particles separated by a common state'.  Or something like that.  
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #3,491 of 4,469
oh how i miss my DBAs ): it's highs certainly eclipses the SM3. I miss those highs ): still very very happy with my SM3s but a used pair of DBAs from my buddy would come soon so i'll still be able to enjoy those beautiful highs when i need to :p

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #3,492 of 4,469
I received mine few days ago. some first impressions:

-bass is a bit recessed but it snaps and wont distort if you alter your EQ. Also they maybe don't carry as much acoustic pressure as my previous monster turbine, but they are more detailed, it's not a boom in your ears, you can "fell" the texture kinda. I enjoy this trait when listening to Bach's organ plays. Also i put some cotton in the olive tips, it still helps.

-I only have the monster turbine to compare to and the pl 30 that i currently own (used to have the ultimate ears extended bass....yeah yeah basshead i know :) but it was too long ago). But as soundstage goes I'm very happy with it. I own the cowon J3 and i found that using the stereo enhancement and 3d surround is much more satisfying than for these other twos (once again i know they're not exactly competitors). what you get with this EQ effect is that it broadens the sound stage evenly....BUT it just does extend it so that the sound is less full...i dont quite know how to explain but it's as if you hold a rubber string between your fingers, now you stretch it and it gets longer but thinner. Well this is less true with this one, which leads me to believe you get scalable results with amp. I have a direct EF1 for my hd 650 but i didn't try yet with these.

-all in all it's a perfect companion to rediscover your music. I found it amusing when i purchased my HD 650 to enjoy more bass based music, hence abandonning rock, vocal and enjoying instrumental, electro, progressive etc...now I go back to rock, classical, trance. true enough I'm not quite used to these highs (understandable when used to the hd 650's dark veil), for now i cheat and keep them on a leash with my EQ, maybe burn in helps with the sibilance.

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #3,493 of 4,469
Ety's stock tri-flange tip solved the sibilance for me. And extra isolation too! What a win-win solution.

I haven't tried the Meier Stepdance and DBA-02 combo yet... but that will be the combination I'll have with me tomorrow at work. So, we will see how that goes and how it will compare to the Mystify when it finally arrives.
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #3,494 of 4,469

Quote:
I received mine few days ago. some first impressions:

-bass is a bit recessed but it snaps and wont distort if you alter your EQ. Also they maybe don't carry as much acoustic pressure as my previous monster turbine, but they are more detailed, it's not a boom in your ears, you can "fell" the texture kinda. I enjoy this trait when listening to Bach's organ plays. Also i put some cotton in the olive tips, it still helps.

-I only have the monster turbine to compare to and the pl 30 that i currently own (used to have the ultimate ears extended bass....yeah yeah basshead i know :) but it was too long ago). But as soundstage goes I'm very happy with it. I own the cowon J3 and i found that using the stereo enhancement and 3d surround is much more satisfying than for these other twos (once again i know they're not exactly competitors). what you get with this EQ effect is that it broadens the sound stage evenly....BUT it just does extend it so that the sound is less full...i dont quite know how to explain but it's as if you hold a rubber string between your fingers, now you stretch it and it gets longer but thinner. Well this is less true with this one, which leads me to believe you get scalable results with amp. I have a direct EF1 for my hd 650 but i didn't try yet with these.

-all in all it's a perfect companion to rediscover your music. I found it amusing when i purchased my HD 650 to enjoy more bass based music, hence abandonning rock, vocal and enjoying instrumental, electro, progressive etc...now I go back to rock, classical, trance. true enough I'm not quite used to these highs (understandable when used to the hd 650's dark veil), for now i cheat and keep them on a leash with my EQ, maybe burn in helps with the sibilance.

Try BBE Viva 2, BBE Headphone 1/3, Ballad, FUNK, Techno, Blues report back after you tried those settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back