Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Sep 8, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #2,221 of 4,469

Quote:
You'll be happy with your Trips when you get them back... or at least until the Head-Fi bug comes around again and gets into your head, convincing you your wallet is much heavier than it is and that it's causing you physical harm to carry it around. And it'll tell you a 5lb rig is truly portable at the same time.

I can guarantee you that will never happen. I stopped doing the dap->IC->portable amp a long time ago. If an earphone does not sound good out of my clip+ or J3 or whatever dap I have I will sell it or return it. I'm actually thinking of adding another custom to go along side the Trips but I'm not sure what it will be and I'm not keen on spending the amount a JH13 or similar goes for. Even if I go with UM and buy drivers from mouser it will still be around 700-800. I got some saving up to do before I'd want to drop that kind of cash on an earphone.

The DBA-02 does really show you how far your dollar will go if you spend it wisely in this hobby however. A couple years ago when I started this kind of quality at this price would only happen in your dreams.

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #2,222 of 4,469

Quote:
I can guarantee you that will never happen. I stopped doing the dap->IC->portable amp a long time ago. If an earphone does not sound good out of my clip+ or J3 or whatever dap I have I will sell it or return it. I'm actually thinking of adding another custom to go along side the Trips but I'm not sure what it will be and I'm not keen on spending the amount a JH13 or similar goes for. Even if I go with UM and buy drivers from mouser it will still be around 700-800. I got some saving up to do before I'd want to drop that kind of cash on an earphone.

The DBA-02 does really show you how far your dollar will go if you spend it wisely in this hobby however. A couple years ago when I started this kind of quality at this price would only happen in your dreams.

I agree, I never amp unless it offers leaps and bounds of improvement. I do hear improvement with amping from my N1 with the DBA, but in all honesty, I could care less about that ounce of extra SQ, it sounds good enough to me without the amp. So I guess it's mostly that I value portability much more than SQ. I used to always amp, but now I never use amping unless I'm at home, and that's either when I'm lying down with the FA-004 or with my permanent desk rig, where I just flip two switches, pick up the cans, sit down, and do my work. No extra hassle there, just the need to wiggle a tube on occasion (hey, it was my first electronics project ever, I didn't choose the best sockets).

I don't mean to diss amping, I am a believer, just not in portable amps. Just one less thing to fumble around with at the bus stop when all I really care about is the music. The IEMs are just the transfer cables, the music is the real object.

Sep 9, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #2,223 of 4,469
Timely, trying the DBAs with the AudioGD C-2C... the sound is even more impressive --- specially the bass --- fuller, tighter and deeper. It really doesn't sound like a pair of IEMs anymore.

Sep 9, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #2,224 of 4,469

Quote:
Took the new DBAs on all day flight travel today.  I'm still figuring out the fit.  Like I posted before, the Comply T100 work best for me.  I can't stress enough, getting a good fit/seal is imperative to getting a good sound out of the DBA.   If you don't get a good fit, it sounds like AM radio with no bass.  To a degree, I think that's what a lot of people are experiencing with the sharper highs.

Very interesting sound signature so far.  I'll do a proper burn-in when I get back home. My RE0's sound anemic in comparison.   If the DBA was a touch warmer, they'd be my IEM "Holy Grail".  Definitely one of my overall favorites right now. 

Right.

Now take what I said earlier and tone it down a bit... just as these have.
The biggest change came within the first half-hour of play. After that, not much sonic change... except for tip, insertion and seal variables. Kind of as usual.
It really was a harsh graininess in the upper-mids and highs that seemed to smooth out with a very short amount of time. I really only had a couple tips with me for the listening session and the full tip comparison sessions will occur gradually or this weekend when I have more time...

Meanwhile, here's what I learned. (But it's still day 1, so things can and probably will change a bit)
Were I to compare these to a full-sized can, it would be the DT880 / 600 ohm. It's actually uncanny how similar they are (except for soundstage and general spatial qualities... of course). Both are incredibly bright. Both are remarkably detailed, clear and analytical. Both are mostly neutral and natural. 

I listened to them for 2 or so hours at the gym, and then kept them playing (out of ears) at a slightly elevated volume (for 3 more hours) to 'loosen' them up a bit. 
wink_face.gif

The comparison between these and the SM3 as I stated earlier stands, but dial back hyperbolae regarding stridency and harshness in the highs. That has subsided.
While these remain on the slightly thin and cool side of neutral, they are worlds apart from the SM3  because of that and their open clarity, detail, blah, blah. (Of late, the SM3 board has been buzzing about the mod of removing the little green filter in the tip. This has allowed the highs and upper-mids to come out from their captivity and apparently, the SM3 has emerged from it's cocoon and is now a brilliant super nova. Guess I sold mine too soon... ). The SM3 destroys these on the bass. No comparison. The DBA does not have the sonority or resonant richness of the SM3. But they still remain natural... mostly.

There is a frequency that is slightly elevated (haven't tested for it yet) that is causing a bit of fatigue. Moreso than either the SM3 or SE535 had. I never suffered any sonic fatigue from either of those. But here, now, after extended listening, I'm beginning to think it's time for a break...

Comparing the DBA to the SE535 is a more difficult task as they in broad, general terms cover similar territory. They are both mid-centric, but the 535's mids are more pronounced. The SE535 has wonderful highs... liquid smooth, but roll off way too soon, cutting off that last bit of 'air' and presence. The DBA's have that air. The DBA's have greater upper extension than the 535. Crisper and more sparkly, the DBA's define the location and breath of an instrument. Much like the DT880. Lower mids are more pronounced in the SE535 as is the bass and bass extension, but not by leaps and bounds. Just a bit. On the whole, the two are very similar with the 535 coming out ahead in refinement and tonal 'quality'. The DBA sound less 'acoustic'.

The DBA's have the comfort side won buy a long shot for me. They are light, the cables are light and short, they can be deeply (or shallowly) inserted, and twisted to different angles... which DOES change the sound. So that needs to also be experimented with.
The left-right designation is a joke. Buried beneath the glossy plastic is a miniscule letter (L & R) which is only visible under the right lighting and magnification. Good grief!

Of the three, SM3, SE535 and the DBA-02. It's the DBA-02 by a length. The ergonomics, highs and brilliance (now that they calmed a bit) have won me over. Not a perfect IEM, I could use a bit more sonority (well, actually quite a bit more). But the openness and clarity, speed and accuracy really cut it for me... much like my beloved DT880.

These don't need 70 - 100% volume as they drive fairly easily... but... they LIKE volume. They improve with volume and amping. Yes, no kidding. Fine for iPod, but throw some serious power behind these and they open up a lot more. Could be the newness... we'll see.

Cheers.

shane

EDIT... For those who don't know my MO: All files are uncompressed .wav, HD (24bit/96khz) or ALAC @ 24/48 or HD FLAC (24/88-96). Eartips for all three IEM's compared here were the same: flat-trimmed Comply. My standard test tracks used for all three. The only variables are the IEM's themselves, unavoidable and very minor differences in insertion depth, angle and seal.
Just in case you were interested...

Sep 9, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #2,225 of 4,469
@Shane and all others.  I know I've said this a few times already but I have to get this out one last time.  If it is a touch of warmth, bass and sonority you are after, if you can manage deep insertion w/ some bi flange gel tips, I strongly encourage you try.  Its sad these tips aren't readily available but the synergy is amazing for my ears.  I know Shane hates anything more than a single flange so I hope something else works out for ya man. 

x2 on amping and power on these.  They don't need it at all but boy do they like it.  Its substantial enough for me to at least have an E5 or Arrow when it shows.  Its hard for me to disregard the the benefit of amping unless I need the extra portability.

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #2,227 of 4,469
If you do get fatigue, ClieOS has said it before, it can help to listen at lower volumes until you are more used to them.

Sep 9, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #2,228 of 4,469
With the T100 tips, the sibilance is still there so I decided to put back the fiberfill and foam. Tonight I'll try another tweak to bring the sibilance to my comfort zone.
I'm 'tuning' it against the T50RP's highs :)

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #2,229 of 4,469

Quote:
Even if I go with UM and buy drivers from mouser it will still be around 700-800. I got some saving up to do before I'd want to drop that kind of cash on an earphone.

You can buy drivers from mouser and ask UM to reshell the DBAs for you? Or did you mean buying UM's own customs and adding a driver. Anyhow, mouser's website seems unnavigatable to me, the technical terms they use to describe their products might as well be written in sanskrit.

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #2,230 of 4,469

Quote:
Gah. My left driver malfunctioned today.

Frequencies 8khz and above are replaced by a strange rattling sound. Weird.
Hopefully treoo can do a replacement fast

Just thought id give an update.
Sent an rma ticket to treoo 2 days ago. They told me to give it some intensive burn in(higher than average volume) for 10-20hrs. Did so and the problem persisted when i ran it through a frequency sweep thereafter.
2 days later, they replied and told me I should pass it to them so that they can send it back to mother russia for rma. Was arranging with treoo as to how I can meet up with them to pass them the unit when i decided to give it one more test to make sure. Lo and behold! The distortion magically disappeared! Thank god! I reckon shipping from Singapore to Russia and back will take at least a month, of which ill be missing them dearly.

Still have no clue as to what the cause of the distortion was, and how it magically disappeared. Maybe the driver got knocked out of place or something? Maybe the intensive burn in actually helped but time was needed for the driver to settle down back to its fully functional condition? Whatever it is hopefully it won't come back, especially after the warranty period >.<

Anyway just bought a second hand m50 for kicks. Compared to the dbas the m50s sound wooly and imaging seems very very blurry. Yeah i know the m50s are cheaper, but well they are bigger cans after all so in a way they kinda make me appreciate the awesomeness of the dbas even more. Maybe an amp might help the m50s more. Will be looking to purchasing one in the near future.

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #2,231 of 4,469
I had something similar with another earphone. You might have a short somewhere where eventually it needs to be fixed.

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #2,232 of 4,469
@lazybum, that's good to hear. I hope it doesn't come back.

Decided to put just a bit of foam on the nozzle instead. I don't want to lose much of that top end detail that I'm really beginning to like. I'm on full volume with my Fuze listening to Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Session right now. I'm hearing stuff on the high registers clearer than before specially the atmosphere/space at the end of the album when the guys are chatting.

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #2,233 of 4,469

Quote:
@dfrost, which tips are you using currently?

I'm using Shure grey single flange (just like those in the |joker| review photo). They give the best SQ for me, excellent long-term comfort, and nicely secure on the nozzles, unlike the original black OEM tips after a few months.

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #2,234 of 4,469

Quote:
@Shane and all others.  I know I've said this a few times already but I have to get this out one last time.  If it is a touch of warmth, bass and sonority you are after, if you can manage deep insertion w/ some bi flange gel tips, I strongly encourage you try.  Its sad these tips aren't readily available but the synergy is amazing for my ears.  I know Shane hates anything more than a single flange so I hope something else works out for ya man. 

x2 on amping and power on these.  They don't need it at all but boy do they like it.  Its substantial enough for me to at least have an E5 or Arrow when it shows.  Its hard for me to disregard the the benefit of amping unless I need the extra portability.

I did notice that with deeper insertion the highs decreased (it was not a test so much as a try...), which effectively raised the lower registers. I didn't like the sound much. I didn't and don't want to decrease the highs. I can't wear any type of flanged tip, so I'm really stuck with Comply - Shure Olives, so I have to make the best with them. Trimmed flat works best for my ears. Besides, these are what I wound up listening to the SM3 and SE535's with, so at least while comparing the three, I need to to keep the tips / fit the same. That said, there is a quite a bit of change (as alluded to in my verbose post above) in the way these are inserted. The depth and angle will vary the sound a lot, and so from one session to the other they can have a very different tone. It makes consistency a bit difficult. I have also found that inserting WHILE MUSIC IS PLAYING is critical and highly recommended as you can actually hear the differences and 'tune' them while inserting. The need for this may (probably) decrease with longer ownership and experience.

I'm not really 'after' more bass and sonority, but it would improve these a bit. Nonetheless these are very good IEM's and I'm very impressed. After reading so much about them... including all the negatives, it's kind of a surprise that these are as good as so many have said. This is one of the few IEM / HP's that actually seemed to match the effusive chatter. After some others I tried, I assumed that these would not live up to the expectations... but they have, if not surpassed it.

Thoughts...

For those who spoke of the brilliant highs and great clarity. Spot on.
For those who wish / wished for more bass. Spot on.
In terms of value (not sound !) these are like the M50.
Insertion depth and angle dependent.
Amp-philic (likes it, but doesn't need it)
Closest to sound of DT880

I will assume that with time (either actual physical... or psychoacoustic changes), these will improve further. I'll figure out what was causing the fatigue yesterday and that too will most likely subside.

Thanks to Ethan for his undying patience, persistence and perserverence in the face of customs, mfg., and client issues. Great job.

Thanks to all who recommended these brilliant little gems. Well done.

Cheers

shane

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #2,235 of 4,469

Quote:
Not a perfect IEM, I could use a bit more sonority (well, actually quite a bit more).

As a treblehead and a violinist, I was planning on getting these IEM's for my violin solo and violin concerto music collection. They seemed perfect based on comments on clarity, separation, and air.

However, I am concerned about the crispness/lack of sonority. My favorite violinist is Leonid Kogan, because he plays with excellent tonality. I would like a treble focused signature with good higher end resonance. My old head-direct RE2's did well in this area, without any sibilance, but died too early. The MTPG's did not do so well- I had to strain to hear the highs and they did not have enough treble resonance.

Would anyone comment about how DBA-02 performs with these videos, or if there are better suited IEM's (ER-4P, PFE 112, IM590, etc.)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtC9oVyjyUY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpXlCheiXY8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back