Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Sep 8, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #2,206 of 4,469

Quote:
so where to get the gels?
spend another $59 for klipsch custom 3?
that would set the dba-02 price to be $200+.. not much of a budget anymore lol.
neways i'd be interested in what the gels can do as well, on other iems. any ideas where else to get them?

$13.99

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/exclusive-oval-ear-tips-overview/

The Klipsch S2 comes w/ the single flanges and is $25 but no bi flanges.  I like the bi-flanges for deep insertion and isolation.  

Where do you get Custom 3s for $59?

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #2,207 of 4,469
They are my primary iems now and i couldn't leave home without them. Pairing them up with the sflo2 just through the HO is a bliss, portable, sleek and heavenly.

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #2,208 of 4,469
like I said before I was having problems-- having to play loud,tiny sounding and recessed, huge lack of soundstage. I guess I was having problems fitting them, my ears are very particular. Any who the best tip 5 min ago was actually the stock medium. I now just put on sony hybrid cores and tried comply 400 and wow big difference. Now the sound is taking over 
darthsmile.gif

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #2,209 of 4,469

Quote:
@bboi, which source/amp --- no sibilance?! Quite intriguing.  

I use IEM's almost exclusively when going outside. I use it with my phone (Nexus One) and no sibilance. I believe the sibilance problem is the audio source. Most of my songs are in 320kbps and very few left are 256 and 192 and a rare 128 file here and there.

Quote:
All I can say is - holy crap! I would turn that thing right down! I have the N1 and I listen at 40% normally, 60% if it's my favourite song and I'm on a noisy bus. Please, do yourself a favour, don't listen at those volumes. You must not be getting a seal, I had it at full or near-full volumes for a split second before I yanked them out and turned it right down. At 60% I get scared it'll be too loud. You must not be getting a good seal... same with tacomn, these were 55% on my 1st gen iPod Touch before the N1 took over. Please, for the sake of your ears...

Maybe it's my ears or I have already deafened myself but I don't think it's loud until it reaches 70-100%. I listen to 60 and lower to relax or when I want my ears to take a rest.
I'm sure my seal is perfect. The audio doesn't sound any better when if I tried to push in deeper in an already deeper insertion.
I also used the volume at these levels on my Nexus with other IEM's as well so the DBA's cannot be the problem.
Perhaps it's because I'm using a music mod on the stock music app or some settings I played with a long time ago but that seems doubtful.

I guess it's my youthful ears? I don't know.

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #2,210 of 4,469

Quote:
like I said before I was having problems-- having to play loud,tiny sounding and recessed, huge lack of soundstage. I guess I was having problems fitting them, my ears are very particular. Any who the best tip 5 min ago was actually the stock medium. I now just put on sony hybrid cores and tried comply 400 and wow big difference. Now the sound is taking over 
darthsmile.gif

The sony hybrid cores fits the dba's?

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #2,211 of 4,469

I use IEM's almost exclusively when going outside. I use it with my phone (Nexus One) and no sibilance. I believe the sibilance problem is the audio source. Most of my songs are in 320kbps and very few left are 256 and 192 and a rare 128 file here and there.

Maybe it's my ears or I have already deafened myself but I don't think it's loud until it reaches 70-100%. I listen to 60 and lower to relax or when I want my ears to take a rest.
I'm sure my seal is perfect. The audio doesn't sound any better when if I tried to push in deeper in an already deeper insertion.
I also used the volume at these levels on my Nexus with other IEM's as well so the DBA's cannot be the problem.
Perhaps it's because I'm using a music mod on the stock music app or some settings I played with a long time ago but that seems doubtful.

I guess it's my youthful ears? I don't know.

My ears are quite young too, and in near-pristine condition. I wear hearing protection most times it should be worn. Perhaps that's it. At 60% for long periods of time I get some very slight tinnitus, but I can't always figure out if its tinnitus or the TV or lights or what high pitched emissions I'm hearing.

Also, the Nexus One produces zero sibilance for me, compared to a bit with my Touch, as it has a bump there which does not do any good. So, the N1 is very good in that regard. I'm using the Cyanogen mod modded stock player but nothing is different in regards to volumes. The EQ is also off.

I'm glad to see a photo of my own box, that's the first one I've seen and I must say, it does make me feel slightly special knowing that was in my hands a week ago. :p It is important not to forget that you will need time to warm up to them, so straight OTB impressions are not always 100% truly what you hear.

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #2,212 of 4,469

Quote:
The sony hybrid cores fits the dba's?

yep works perfectly, just pull the plasticky part of the rubber. It comes right off and now you can put any tip on. Probably would work with the included hybrid type tips that come in the box.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #2,214 of 4,469
Holy crap.  I thought my Gumstick helped out the bass on these.  My Sflo2 w/E5 is pumping out some percussion.  Wow.  I was expecting bass light on these things.  Not at all.  Might be less than the SM3 but I think its actually better quality and more detailed.  Jesus, reminds me why I have an Sflo2, just pumping the DBAs right now!  I seriously can't believe how much I'm liking these things right now.  There's no way I need to use bass boost on my Arrow when it comes.  I think I'm going to go lie down, close my eyes and get lost in Nirvana right now.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #2,215 of 4,469
I found I had to use a spacer for the sony hybrids to fit without being too loose.

@Anaxilus: you may be on to something but not sure it has to be $750. My cheaper Livewire Trips were an adequate upgrade with bad fit and probably a bit better when I get them back..eventually

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #2,216 of 4,469
you really should of given it time and tried different tips... It seems you made up your mind to sell them before even trying them out. What ever floats your boat I guess 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #2,217 of 4,469

Quote:
I found I had to use a spacer for the sony hybrids to fit without being too loose.

@Anaxilus: you may be on to something but not sure it has to be $750. My cheaper Livewire Trips were an adequate upgrade with bad fit and probably a bit better when I get them back..eventually

That maybe, but this $150 IEM is now tied for my number1 IEM w/ my MDs for different reasons.  Its hard for me to imagine much of anything sounding significantly better than these do right now w/ the Sflo2 amped.  This is effing Audio Ecstasy right now!!  Jesus, Mary and Joseph!

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #2,218 of 4,469
It almost makes me wish I didn't sell my DBA-02 but I needed the funds :) Although I know things will be back to normal next week when I get my customs back. It definitely is a great buy for those who can appreciate this kind of sound.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #2,219 of 4,469

Quote:
It almost makes me wish I didn't sell my DBA-02 but I needed the funds :) Although I know things will be back to normal next week when I get my customs back. It definitely is a great buy for those who can appreciate this kind of sound.

You'll be happy with your Trips when you get them back... or at least until the Head-Fi bug comes around again and gets into your head, convincing you your wallet is much heavier than it is and that it's causing you physical harm to carry it around. And it'll tell you a 5lb rig is truly portable at the same time.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #2,220 of 4,469
Took the new DBAs on all day flight travel today.  I'm still figuring out the fit.  Like I posted before, the Comply T100 work best for me.  I can't stress enough, getting a good fit/seal is imperative to getting a good sound out of the DBA.   If you don't get a good fit, it sounds like AM radio with no bass.  To a degree, I think that's what a lot of people are experiencing with the sharper highs.

Very interesting sound signature so far.  I'll do a proper burn-in when I get back home. My RE0's sound anemic in comparison.   If the DBA was a touch warmer, they'd be my IEM "Holy Grail".  Definitely one of my overall favorites right now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back