Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Sep 1, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #1,936 of 4,469
I can't remember how long I waited for mine but it was a bit longer than a month I believe. I think at one point I forgot I had these on order until I got an email saying they been shipped. The wait is frustrating yes but patience is needed for these kind of products. Imagine if you were on the line for the Arrow :p

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #1,937 of 4,469
It's much worse if you order an Audez'e LCD-2.  If you look at their monster thread (300 pages!) some people have waited for 2 months or so...

Sep 1, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #1,939 of 4,469

Quote:
Don't you have to wait for like half a year if you order a LCD-2 now?

No idea, but it's certainly more than if you want the DBA-02 
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #1,940 of 4,469

Quote:
no no no shane everyone should jump the gun and BUY BUY BUY, there is no weaknesses to them you heard ljokerl- if he likes them then obviously everyone is going to like them!!

seriously if you are on the fence read alot of impressions as there are alot out. Then compare them to what you want in a iem and your particular favorable sound sig.

this might help- here is a link to a ton of reviews I found including mother russia.

Good advice. One thing I appreciate about Joker's reviews is that he allows for different sigs in his ratings and grades on a curve. Anyone buying based strictly on his number ratings is doing themselves a disservice. Read the description and other opinions before pulling the trigger.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #1,941 of 4,469
Background:
You can see my current gear in my signature. Usually I listen on the K702, using the Grace m902 as the amp through the Benchmark DAC1 Pre, though I often A/B the two as well (but that's another thread altogether). 
Etymotic ER4P/S serves as my IEM reference. Some of the good IEMs that I have bought and got rid of, because they don't fit my taste: Shure E4, SE530 (treble roll off), Westone 3, UM3X (V-shaped presentation. vocals masked by bass), Livewires T1. The RE0 is my throw-around portable earphones. 

As you can probably guess from my gear, I strive for a neutral presentation..for the most part. You will see the exception below
I listen to symphonies, strings, and Cantopop. All lossless ripped by EAC by myself. 

These days I am listening to the new EP by Joey Yung so I am using this for my Cantopop impression:
Cantopop, to me anyway, requires an emphasis in vocals.  The DBA-02 paints a pretty coherence picture across the spectrum.  The overall sound signature is smooth, even for harsher materials. The all-important vocals do not get drawn out, but they do not pop out as much as I'd like either. The presentation is not absolutely flat across all the vocal registers. Eg. when the female singer uses the chest voice (register) there is a slight resonance. Vocal detail retrieval quite good. I want to stress that I'm hard to please when it comes to female vocals. I have yet to find a perfect female vocal presentation from IEMs. Overall, the details and oddities are within my expectations of an IEM at this price range.

On the other hand, sound stage and instrument separation is good, as the low-volume backing vocals have their own distinct space in the stereo field. The lines are easy to follow. The same can be said of other instruments. Definitely an advantage over the typical lone-driver setup.

Bass is abundant and goes low. Drum hits and snaps are impactful. Treble is smooth, so cymbal clashes don't sound as life-like as I'd like.  Overall the DBA-02 makes for a good pair of IEMs for relaxing in Cantopop.

Moving on to male vocals, I happen to have The Promise by Il Divo on my Nano 5G:
Wow. If I should dedicate a pair of earphones for listening to complex male vocals, the DBA-02 would be it.  Definitely sounds more coherent and linear than female vocals.  Separation is still phenomenal in complex passages.

Classical string pieces are a bit disappointing for me, as it doesn't have the treble energy I'm after.  I admit I'm biased here, because I play inside the orchestra so I always expect more treble than the audience.  Not my cup of tea, but may be for people who don't like too much treble power in classical pieces.

The default black eartips seem to makes the bass spreads farther than it should. The grey/green tips sounds clearer, which makes the earphones' characteristics even more pronounced. 

Although I might have sounded pretty harsh above, I'd personally pick this sound signature over the Westone 3 at half the price since the vocals are not recessed.  Although the DBA-02 does not have a place in my stash and it should go to the FS forum soon, I'd categorize the it as a good pair of IEMs for casual and fun listening to pop and male vocal pieces. 

PS. As I am packing the DBA-02 away, I put my portable earphones RE0 back on. The RE0 now sounds like a pyramid, sibilant and thin in mid-treble. Oh well, you can't have everything right. My ears will adjust to them again.

edit: caught a couple of typos and clarified a couple points

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #1,942 of 4,469

Quote:
no no no shane everyone should jump the gun and BUY BUY BUY, there is no weaknesses to them you heard ljokerl- if he likes them then obviously everyone is going to like them!!

Actually, I have to say Joker is one of the people around here I emphatically trust.  I've shared a few words w/ him and I know he and I hear things about 97.5% the same.  He and I have different signature preferences but definitely hear very similarly.

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #1,943 of 4,469

Quote:
It's much worse if you order an Audez'e LCD-2.  If you look at their monster thread (300 pages!) some people have waited for 2 months or so...

2 months?  Those newbs would pass out in the Sflo2 and Arrow lines.  Weak sisters.  I think the Xin amp is > 1 year??

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #1,944 of 4,469
"Actually, I have to say Joker is one of the people around here I emphatically trust.  I've shared a few words w/ him a
And I know he and I hear things about 97.5% the same.  He and I have different signature preferences but definitely hear very similarly."

O i love ljokerl reviews. I just was using him in my joke since he has lot of influence with his reviews.

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #1,948 of 4,469

Quote:
Background:
You can see my current gear in my signature. Usually I listen on the K702, using the Grace m902 as the amp through the Benchmark DAC1 Pre, though I often A/B the two as well (but that's another thread altogether). 
Etymotic ER4P/S serves as my IEM reference. Some of the good IEMs that I have bought and got rid of, because they don't fit my taste: Shure E4, SE530 (treble roll off), Westone 3, UM3X (V-shaped presentation. vocals masked by bass), Livewires T1. The RE0 is my throw-around portable earphones. 

As you can probably guess from my gear, I strive for a neutral presentation..for the most part. You will see the exception below
I listen to symphonies, strings, and Cantopop. All lossless ripped by EAC by myself. 

These days I am listening to the new EP by Joey Yung so I am using this for my Cantopop impression:
Cantopop, to me anyway, requires an emphasis in vocals.  The DBA-02 paints a pretty coherence picture across the spectrum.  The overall sound signature is smooth, even for harsher materials. The all-important vocals do not get drawn out, but they do not pop out as much as I'd like either. The presentation is not absolutely flat across all the vocal registers. Eg. when the female singer uses the chest voice (register) there is a slight resonance. Vocal detail retrieval quite good. I want to stress that I'm hard to please when it comes to female vocals. I have yet to find a perfect female vocal presentation from IEMs. Overall, the details and oddities are within my expectations of an IEM at this price range.

On the other hand, sound stage and instrument separation is good, as the low-volume backing vocals have their own distinct space in the stereo field. The lines are easy to follow. The same can be said of other instruments. Definitely an advantage over the typical lone-driver setup.

Bass is abundant and goes low. Drum hits and snaps are impactful. Treble is smooth, so cymbal clashes don't sound as life-like as I'd like.  Overall the DBA-02 makes for a good pair of IEMs for relaxing in Cantopop.

Moving on to male vocals, I happen to have The Promise by Il Divo on my Nano 5G:
Wow. If I should dedicate a pair of earphones for listening to complex male vocals, the DBA-02 would be it.  Definitely sounds more coherent and linear than female vocals.  Separation is still phenomenal in complex passages.

Classical string pieces are a bit disappointing for me, as it doesn't have the treble energy I'm after.  I admit I'm biased here, because I play inside the orchestra so I always expect more treble than the audience.  Not my cup of tea, but may be for people who don't like too much treble power in classical pieces.

The default black eartips seem to makes the bass spreads farther than it should. The grey/green tips sounds clearer, which makes the earphones' characteristics even more pronounced. 

Although I might have sounded pretty harsh above, I'd personally pick this sound signature over the Westone 3 at half the price since the vocals are not recessed.  Although the DBA-02 does not have a place in my stash and it should go to the FS forum soon, I'd categorize the it as a good pair of IEMs for casual and fun listening to pop and male vocal pieces. 

PS. As I am packing the DBA-02 away, I put my portable earphones RE0 back on. The RE0 now sounds like a pyramid, sibilant and thin in mid-treble. Oh well, you can't have everything right. My ears will adjust to them again.

edit: caught a couple of typos and clarified a couple points

Nice review.
Interesting to see that the impressions so far are pretty polar. Some say the treble is harsh, some say that is smooth.
popcorn.gif

Guess our ears are really different.

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #1,950 of 4,469
funny how parrot is already selling them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back