REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-002W (OW model)
Mar 23, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #77 of 116
It's 3:18am and I can't put these down.

My long-winded review will be left in the FA-003 thread (which will probably grow mold in a matter of hours, and I am okay with that.)

Here's my short review of the FA-002w LBR: These sound darn good for the money.

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #78 of 116

Quote:
It's 3:18am and I can't put these down.

My long-winded review will be left in the FA-003 thread (which will probably grow mold in a matter of hours, and I am okay with that.)

Here's my short review of the FA-002w DBR: These sound darn good for the money.

[size=14pt]FA-002w-LBR or [/size][size=14pt]FA-002w-BR or [/size][size=14pt]FA-002w-RD  no DBR[/size]

Mar 23, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #82 of 116
LOL (I made up a new model for a minute there.) Nope, I went with the "entry level" woodies. They look very nice and sound great. I saw someone mentioning that the 8 step models do sound a bit better than the 5 step (after my purchase), but it was just too much money for me to shell out, at that time, considering I still needed proper amplification and source equipment.

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #83 of 116
I just received a pair with the stock 5 step beach cups I bought off the forsale forum. I already made a balanced cable to go with my ibasso pb1. Single ended, they sound very nice. I bought them after I heard them at a meet and thought they sounded like a closed version of the hd600s with a little less refinement. The soundstage is narrower than I would like, but I do appreciate the neutral presentation they present. But in balanced mode, the soundstage is both wider and deeper with tighter bass. I saw where someone made a cable for them, but remove the internal clamps. I will say that this isn't necessary using the neutrick 1/8in connectors. They are a perfect fit. They fit sug and tight. It takes more effort to remove those than the stock connectors. These are my go to portable cans. I love my d7k's, but the isolation isn't enough to use outside. These in the balanced configuration fits the bill nicely.

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #85 of 116

Quote:
finally received my pair. Mmm, they sound weird with (p?)leather pads and on a dark amp. Wish FA would've included 2 pairs of plastic rings. It's pretty annoying to have to pull the pads onto the plastic rings, plus I don't know how many time I can do that before(if?) they permanently stretch.

Do NOT stretch them on a pile of book or anything, this will absolutely ruin the elasticity forever, like it did with mine

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #86 of 116
soooo....Does anyone else find the bass overwhelming? (leather pads, 8-step beech dark nut). I need to EQ it down 30hz @ -1db(or 2) to 150 @ -2.5db. (the deep bass is literally stunning and painful). I had the problem with Z1000....but it's worse with FA-002w

Also, my pair came with FA-002 not 003 plastic cups :\

and with felt pads they just sound .... strange (sort of a u-shaped FR)...Something strange with the bass as well. I'm confused (people who listen to DT48/e for long periods of time will become confused with bass :D )

They're a bit heavy as well. After about 1-2h I start feeling it in the neck.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?name_id1=858&name_role1=1&name_id2=44974&name_role2=2&bcorder=21&comp_id=4357 <--- instead of a polite authentic interpretation with FA-002w it's like sitting on top of a gigantic leather drum and the heavier string instruments/the fortepiano's left relatively bass-heavy side.

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #87 of 116
Try getting the drivers closer to your head, not too close, but closer, for me the sound was way clearer, the vocals were really clear

I didn't need to EQ the bass down, though sometimes it did sound a little heavy... just need to adapt to the sound of the FAs

Apr 10, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #88 of 116

Totally agree on the weight..haha but I don find the bass overwhelming..rather i find the cans to have more treble. but then again i came from using the senn hd280 pro before using these so that might be the reason
Quote:
soooo....Does anyone else find the bass overwhelming? (leather pads, 8-step beech dark nut). I need to EQ it down 30hz @ -1db(or 2) to 150 @ -2.5db. (the deep bass is literally stunning and painful). I had the problem with Z1000....but it's worse with FA-002w

Also, my pair came with FA-002 not 003 plastic cups :\

and with felt pads they just sound .... strange (sort of a u-shaped FR)...Something strange with the bass as well. I'm confused (people who listen to DT48/e for long periods of time will become confused with bass
biggrin.gif
)

They're a bit heavy as well. After about 1-2h I start feeling it in the neck.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?name_id1=858&name_role1=1&name_id2=44974&name_role2=2&bcorder=21&comp_id=4357 <--- instead of a polite authentic interpretation with FA-002w it's like sitting on top of a gigantic leather drum and the heavier string instruments/the fortepiano's left relatively bass-heavy side.

Apr 10, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #89 of 116
Two things.. let them burn in! The bass does have emphasis and seems to dominate the sound right out of the box and for the first 50 hours or so.. It tightens considerably after that... CONSIDERABLY.  It sounds excellent after 80 hours or so.. well textured with great impact.  Out of the box though, it's definitely leaning to the warmer side of neutral and tends to muffle the midrange & the treble can sound sharp.. there's a reason I said if you don't believe in burn-in, you will after you listen to the 003 for 100 hours.

Next, as the leather pads break in with use, your ears will move closer to the drivers and the phones will sound much clearer as a result.. 

Happy listening.. I'm loving my GR07, which sounds frighteningly like the 003 (in IEM form).. but I'm missing my 003/full sized cans (which are floating down the pacific coast in the midst of our move to Washington State) cause you can only wear IEMs for so many days/weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back