Review: Final Audio Design Heaven VI
Jul 26, 2013 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 272

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
Review: Final Audio Design Heaven VI

First I would like to thank Robin at hifiheadphones for sending me this sample for review, I will write as honest a review possible, and these received more than 50hrs of burn-in, they smoothed out a bit so don't judge them straight out the box.

Gear Used:
IPod Classic 160gb (rockboxed) > Heaven VI
IPod Classic 160gb (rockboxed) > Silver LOD > JDS Labs O2/Rhapsodio K2 (LME 49720NA) > Heaven VI

Technical Specifications:
Driver Type: Custom made balanced armature
Sensitivity: 112dB
Impedance: 16Ω
Cable Length: 1.2m
Weight: 17g per earpiece

Packaging, Build quality and Accessories:
Packaging is a cardboard box covered in a black shiny coating with a crocodile skin texture, it is odd but feels quite premium. Inside it is velvet covered foam and when you open the box you find the user manual and underneath a shiny metalcase, similar to cigarette cases. In this case you will find the IEM's and underneath the case are the extra tips.
Very well laid out box and packaging, premium feel for premium IEM's.

Build quality is excellent with a chrome copper one piece housing that feels very sturdy, although the gold coating will be prone to scratches I think that the hairline scratches they will pick up will actually add to the charm of the IEM's. The cable is brown and flat so it doesn't tangle, the strain relief on the 90 degree plug is sufficient, the y-split is nothing special, they come with a chin slider, and the strain relief in to the housing could be a bit more flexible.

Accessories included are few, you get a very nice metal carry case which has a mirror finish and Final engraved on to it, inside it is velvet to protect the IEM's, and you get some extra tips, S, M and L brown single flange tips that come in 2 different designs, you get the wide bore and smaller bore, are included. I would have liked to see some more tips, maybe some bi and triple flange tips.

Comfort, Isolation, Driver flex and Cable noise:
Comfort is very good, these can be worn straight down or over the ear, I found straight down the most comfortable and once you get a good seal they are comfy to wear for long periods of time. The housing is very thin so you can get deep insertion which means better isolation.

Isolation with deep insertion is good, they block out most outside noises and would be fine for public transport.

Driver flex is not present as they are single BA IEM's.

Cable noise is a bit annoying, the flat cable has some very present cable noise, using the chin slider does help somewhat but it would be nice if they just didn't have it in the first place.

Sound:
Lows:
For a single BA driver these pack some punch but they never overwhelm, staying controlled and fast throughout, but when you play some bass heavy music they suddenly come out of nowhere. They may not have the quantity for bass heads, but for normal listening they have the perfect presence to give a slightly warmer, lush sound which will have you bopping your head along to the beat. Quality wise they are excellent being well defined and separated, never bleeding in to the mids, they have a very natural tone to them and extension goes right down to around 30hz, from there they roll-off gently.

Mids:
Slightly mid forward, but with the most natural presentation i have heard to date, stunning mids. Listening to Diana Krall in FLAC you can hear every detail rendered perfectly, every nuance, but never clinical or harsh. It sounds as if she's singing right in front of you as her vocals are so naturally portrayed. They don't throw detail at you, but every pluck of a guitar string, every breath a singer takes is heard. I hear you guys saying FAD IEM's sound organic, i now know why, I can honestly say i've never had an IEM that sounds so natural and real in timbre, and the only headphones that have interested me for a long time because of their natural sound are the Hifiman HE-6.
Sibilance is not present, as that went away within the first few hours of playing, smooth, natural, real and detailed are how i would sum up the mids on these.

Highs:
Again natural and realistic like the rest of the sound. The highs are never too bright or harsh, and never become splashy, they are smooth and airy with great detail, but don't feed them bad quality recording as you will notice a difference, they are not ruthless as such, just good recordings and lossless do make a difference.
The highs are quick and snappy for snares, but also have perfect decay for cymbal crashes, they render everything well, and extend very well.

Soundstage , Imaging and Instrument separation:
Soundstage is also the widest of an IEM i've heard, the sound comes in from all around you, you get sucked in to the music, wide and deep.

Imaging is convincing and has great panning capabilities.

Instrument separation is excellent with good air between all the instruments.

Amping: Using the O2 amp, these can take all the power you throw at them, they are sensitive but do improve a lot with amping. With the O2 the lows became fuller but almost speaker like in presentation with a powerful kick and excellent body. The overall sound became cleaner and better defined with better separation and sparkle.

Conclusion:
Well yu can guess I enjoyed these a lot, from the moment you open them you know they are going to be something special. Forget all the multi-BA IEM's, one well tuned BA driver can beat most of them.
These IEM's, my first from FAD, are excellent but come with a price, but once you listen to them, you dont care about the price as they just transport you to a world of incredibly natural music reproduction. Very impressive IEM's, from build quality to sound quality they succeed very highly.

Sound Perfection Rating: 9.5/10

Tracks Used:
Skrillex – First Of The Year (Equinox) (320kbps MP3)
Paramore – Franklin (320kbps MP3)
Diana Krall – The Girl In The Other Room (FLAC)
Deolinda – Passou Por Mim E Sorriu (live) (ALAC)
Suicide Silence – Unanswered (FLAC)
Massive Attack – Angel (ALAC)
Eat Static – Dzhopa Dream (ALAC)
The XX – Crystalised (FLAC)
Funeral For A Friend – Bend Your Arms To Look Like Wings (ALAC)
Mumford & Sons – Little Lion Man (FLAC)
The Scene Aesthetic – Humans (259kbps MP3)
A Hero A Fake – Swallowed By The Sea (254kbps MP3)
Vivaldi – The Four Seasons, Spring Allegro (ALAC)
Johnny Craig – Children Of Divorce (161kbps MP3)
Deadmau5 + Kaskade – I Remember (Caspa Remix) (320kbps MP3)
Black Uhuru – Utterance (ALAC)
We Are The In Crowd – Never Be What You Want (226kbps MP3)
Silverstein – Discovering The Waterfront (320kbps MP3)
Concept Of Thought – Our Thought (FLAC)
Nirvana – Something In The Way (Unplugged) (ALAC)

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 272
Good review. I concur with you conclusions.

It is indeed impressive how the bass ramps up with clean power. The Pico Power plus Heaven VI is proving to be an excellent combination.

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 272
Glad to see it matches other peoples finding. I was mainly listening with my iPod and was surprised how much of a difference there was with the O2 :)

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 272
I am stuck between spending more on T5p or spending what is still not little but considerably less on FAD VI. I do love to try the FAD line up but on other hand I have never owned any beyerdynamic either. This thread made my job a lot harder. FAD VI sounds like something I would really enjoy and the change in sound I need. Cardas was a good attempt on changing my lineup but it still did not 100% do it for me. 

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 272
I love both the T5p but it is not as natural and organic sounding as the FAD. The FAD really is a spectacular IEM

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #10 of 272
I've tried this IEM at Mook festival. for my preference and my taste, the Heaven VI is the best among all of final audio's product even compare with Fi-bass and Forte-X

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #11 of 272
Thanks for the positive comments, I will be getting more FAD soon to review, but these will be hard to beat!
The best word to describe them is Natural

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #12 of 272
I've tried this IEM at Mook festival. for my preference and my taste, the Heaven VI is the best among all of final audio's product even compare with Fi-bass and Forte-X

You are not the first person to say Heacen VI is better than FI-BA-SS. Loking forward for an A/B comparison.
If anyone care to comment on both it would be great. Thanks in advance.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #13 of 272
Quote:

It is fine indeed. Comparing FAD headphones can be apples and oranges because they suit different usage. I think that the 1601SC is better overall by a real margin but aside from being extreme unobtainium, it has zero isolation and is home use only.The Heaven VI is my favourite of FAD's isolating IEMs. (I haven't heard the Heaven V, just the IV, VI and FI-BA-SS.)

Also right now I'm listening to the PF IX. It isn't as overtly euphonic as the Heaven VI but it brings many different qualities to the table. 

I believe that the Heaven VI is among the most under-appreciated IEMs on Head-fi and somehow destined to remain that way. If someone wants an isolating IEM for walking around, it is my recommendation. It isn't the most refined IEM that money can buy nor is it an extreme detail monster but the mids, timbre and 3D sound stage are worth the price of admission. It is simply a pleasure to listen to. It also amps up amazingly. Quickstep + Heaven VI is... heaven.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #14 of 272
Listening to both Heaven VI and FI-BA-SS on AK120.    Heaven VI is just so much more natural sounding and musical.    FI-BA-SS reproduces the instruments with such detail and accuracy that it sounded very much analytical and monitor-like.   It is a detail monster and can be quite fatigue sounding when compared with Heaven VI and unforgiving with sources.   When i switch from Heaven VI to FI-BA-SS, I can hear so much more details but it is not a sound signiture that i like.  So it depends on your preference and type of music you listen to.   

Things get interesting when i amped my AK120 with RSA Intruder.   FI-BA-SS starts to come alive (fun sounding) as the music get more body and warm and they really start singing.    I guess source music is very important for FI-BA-SS as it can reproduce accurately what it's been fed.   When amped, i prefer FI-BA-SS as you get both musicality and details.  

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #15 of 272
Has anyone compared these to the Heaven S?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back