[REVIEW] Etymotic HF5 or the ER-4S?
Feb 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #106 of 183
Quote:
Received the er4p and love the detail and clarity (more clarity than the hf5) but found them a bit too fatiguing--however, I am still keeping the er4ps and have a p to s converter on the way.

Any suggestions to lessen the fatigue?

Try the comply tips?

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #107 of 183
Hello folks - I have had ER-6i's for years and recently traded them for ER-4P's with ACS custom molded tips.  WOW...  Supper nice!!!  So why am I looking at CIEM's such as 1964 V3s?  What will I gain, other than a custom fit and triple drivers?  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #109 of 183
Go for the ACS custom tips!! You will not be disappointed!!!! I did with my ER-4P and the result was better sound but by faring better comfort. I tried Comply and they were (for me) not much different than Ety's included tips.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #111 of 183
Quote:
I am deciding between the ER4 and re272.  The amount of bass seems to be hard to pinpoint with these analytical earphones because its quite subjective depending on person.  I was wondering for people who have heard the ER4 and the re272, which one has better bass?

My current IEM is the re-zero and I really like them, didn't seem to mind the lack of bass until I purchased the HE-400.   Now im wondering if the "upgrades" to the re0 sound in the IEM world have more or better bass.  Lately i have found the re-zero to sound a bit lacking out of the iPhone, but its almost perfect via the c421 with bass boost. 

For someone like me, would you guys recommend the ER4 or RE272.  I have noticed lots of headfiers love their ER4 and 272 as their favourite universal IEM, but wondering if the people in each camp have heard both and compared them. Want to hear from these guys!

Also, im aware the re400/600, but seems from what i read i wont like the re400 and the 600 are too expensive.

I have not heard the 272, but I can try to describe the bass of the er-4s.  "Bass"ically, it is extremely clear, tight and extended.  However, it is light in weight or volume.  When I say light I don't mean lacking really though.  This is a huge area of opinion, but I find the bass is pretty near perfect.  While it might sound great with more weight, I don't find it lacking.  I did have to get used to this type of bass in general, as it isn't compensated for with volume.  Instead, you hear the bass and all of it's accuracy and body, but you don't feel it as much as other phones that boost the bass to compensate for the lack of feel.

As I feel the ety need to be amped for best results, you can always get an amp like the c5 or arrow amp that offer bass boosts.  The c5 does a great job adding bass to the er4s.  I think it can even be a bit much in some music, but a lot of people will probably love that.  I listen to my c5 with no boost with the er4s.  I find that if you focus on the bass you might start to think it's thin.  However, when I simply listen to music and don't think about the bass I'm actually surprised sometimes when I hear low bass and think "did i put the bass boost on"?  It simply fits the mix well and sounds excellent.  But again, this is something that most people need to get accustomed to; hearing the bass and not feeling it.  Not that you don't feel it at all, but just not nearly as much as a boosted bass phone.  If you want accuracy and extension the er-4s is excellent.  If you want bass that you feel, or you're expecting speaker-like bass (feel not accuracy), look elsewhere.

I would buy them from etymotic.  If you don't like the bass you have 30 days to return them. :)  I didn't.

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #112 of 183
The Arrow 4G matches incredibly well with the ER-4S, one of the best pairings i've heard with IEMs in a long time.

Also, I'm letting go of my ER-4S (I know, I'll miss it dearly) if anyone's interested. I feel the need to sell off most of my things

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #113 of 183
Quote:
The Arrow 4G matches incredibly well with the ER-4S, one of the best pairings i've heard with IEMs in a long time.

Also, I'm letting go of my ER-4S (I know, I'll miss it dearly) if anyone's interested. I feel the need to sell off most of my things

Turning minimalist or just need the dough?  Just curious. :)

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #114 of 183
Quote:
Turning minimalist or just need the dough?  Just curious. :)

A bit of both. Summer is starting up quick and I need new tires for my bike, plus taking a break from hi-fi for a while so I just want specific stuff, not stuff lying around

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #115 of 183
Quote:

I have not heard the 272, but I can try to describe the bass of the er-4s.  "Bass"ically, it is extremely clear, tight and extended.  However, it is light in weight or volume.  When I say light I don't mean lacking really though.  This is a huge area of opinion, but I find the bass is pretty near perfect.  While it might sound great with more weight, I don't find it lacking.  I did have to get used to this type of bass in general, as it isn't compensated for with volume.  Instead, you hear the bass and all of it's accuracy and body, but you don't feel it as much as other phones that boost the bass to compensate for the lack of feel.

As I feel the ety need to be amped for best results, you can always get an amp like the c5 or arrow amp that offer bass boosts.  The c5 does a great job adding bass to the er4s.  I think it can even be a bit much in some music, but a lot of people will probably love that.  I listen to my c5 with no boost with the er4s.  I find that if you focus on the bass you might start to think it's thin.  However, when I simply listen to music and don't think about the bass I'm actually surprised sometimes when I hear low bass and think "did i put the bass boost on"?  It simply fits the mix well and sounds excellent.  But again, this is something that most people need to get accustomed to; hearing the bass and not feeling it.  Not that you don't feel it at all, but just not nearly as much as a boosted bass phone.  If you want accuracy and extension the er-4s is excellent.  If you want bass that you feel, or you're expecting speaker-like bass (feel not accuracy), look elsewhere.

I would buy them from etymotic.  If you don't like the bass you have 30 days to return them. :)  I didn't.

I finally bought the ER4P/S and the bass is as you described. I like this kind of bass.  I also find the c421 bass boost too much (6db?). I occasionally use the bass boost but when i do its too much, so perhaps the boost on the Fiio E12 (3db?) might be a good match?

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #116 of 183
personally, I found lvl1 bass boost to be plenty on the E11. i highly recommend the arrow 4G mostly due to the cleaner bass boost compared to the 3G

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #117 of 183
Quote:
I finally bought the ER4P/S and the bass is as you described. I like this kind of bass.  I also find the c421 bass boost too much (6db?). I occasionally use the bass boost but when i do its too much, so perhaps the boost on the Fiio E12 (3db?) might be a good match?

I love the bass myself.  Sure they might be more perfect with just a little more bass, but when I sit and listen to a whole album I completely get engrossed and never think about it.  It's hard to do a comparison too directly to another phone.  After listening to something bassier for a minute they do indeed sound anemic, but then listening to the er-4s for a minute and switch back the other phones sound overly bassy.  I think a little more bass would put them at a pretty much 99% accuracy ratio.  The low end would just level out to be perfectly flat.

However, even with this slight bass drop I find the whole sound to be the flattest I've heard.  And if you pop on a c5 bass boost most of the time it's incredibly flat sounding.  Only when a song has a lot of sub bass and really low bass can it seem too much.  I think a +3db boost around 80hz is perfect.  The arrow amp has a two setting switch which would be perfect for when you might want more, but otherwise leaving it at 3db would probably be perfect.  The c5 sounds incredible and flat, but we need to all convince John at JDS labs to make a two setting switch in the next model :)  I love my c5 though and will be keeping it.  Regarding the c421, i think the boost is similar, although I vaguely remember somewhere that the c5 is a little less, but I can't be sure of that.  You'd have to search back through the c5 appreciation thread.  I thought (i could be completely wrong) that the c421 was actually around 8db and the c5 around 6.5db...  Maybe someone will chime in on that though.

I recommend listening to them for a while with the best sealing tips you can fit and try not to think about the bass at all.  See if you just get into the music. Otherwise, I'd go for a 3db boost or if possible 3/6db option.

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #118 of 183
Quote:
Received the er4p and love the detail and clarity (more clarity than the hf5) but found them a bit too fatiguing--however, I am still keeping the er4ps and have a p to s converter on the way.

Any suggestions to lessen the fatigue?

For anyone interested, I've post some info on fitting them deeply:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/649046/hd600-in-the-form-of-an-iem-with-very-good-isolation/60#post_9305716

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #120 of 183
I just had a brain fart, and realized I've never tried my westone 4r star tips on the er-4s.  First, they fit perfectly.  Second, they don't sound any better, but it is much easier to get a good seal quickly and with less (pretty much zero) fiddling.  They still provide very good isolation.  maybe not as much, but very close.  I find the isolation seems to have something to do with not only the etymotic tips, but the fact the the whole nozzle is in your ear.

Anyhow, they work, they might sound a little more v-shaped with recessed mids, but I'm too lazy to do a hardcore side-by-side comparison.  Needless to say, they give you a reasonable amount (not the most) of bass without hassle.  So if you have other tips lying around, you might want to try them out just to see if the fit might be the reason you're not getting decent bass.

UPDATE:  The long grey foam westone tips (grey ring for my size) are a bit more v-shaped I think.  Definitely more open sounding in the high treble and a bit more bass body.  I'm not sure if this is good or not, but they are a tad different.  Pianos seem to stand out as more clear and separated from other instruments and drums are more open and crisp... Noticeably.  Very noticeably, but smoothly.  Putting in the black foam ety tips are a bit more mid centric in comparison.  The westone are easier to use however.

So far I'd say they're the best overall.  Bass is great, fit is uber comfortable.  They don't need to go in as far as the black foam ety tips to get the same sound, so they're a little less pressure on your ear canal.  Although, I find the black tips pretty much very comfortable as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back