[REVIEW] Etymotic HF5 or the ER-4S?
Jun 6, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #136 of 183
  I've noticed you have also the ER-4S. Any reasons why you chose that model instead of ER-4PT?
I think ER-4PT is the model i'm leaning to since it is far cheaper in amazon.co.uk than ER-4S. And you can get the two year warranty from amazon. 

PT was not available at the time I bought my 4S. I've had them for over 10yr.

p.s. and if they were available, I certainly can't remember
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #137 of 183
PT was not available at the time I bought my 4S. I've had them for over 10yr.

p.s. and if they were available, I certainly can't remember:wink:

Thanks a lot i plan to buy them and hopefuly i wont damage my ear drums. The fit worres me and the problem is you can't know until you try them

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #138 of 183
I do not have a problem with the triple-flange tips, but I wound up getting some custom molds that are great for longer listening sessions. The custom molds work with ER4 and the HF5s that I occasionally use with my iPhone.

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #139 of 183
Was the sound the same with after you got the customs? I still want to get them, but I've heard it doesn't go in as deep and the sound changes, etc. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #140 of 183
Thanks a lot i plan to buy them and hopefully i wont damage my ear drums. The fit worries me and the problem is you can't know until you try them

Get the PT not the S if its cheaper. I was assuming you could get the S cheaper. That way you can run it without an amp "P" cable if you like. I never run mine without an amp. I use my HF-3 for that. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #141 of 183
Thanks a lot i plan to buy them and hopefully i wont damage my ear drums. The fit worries me and the problem is you can't know until you try them

Get the PT not the S if its cheaper. I was assuming you could get the S cheaper. That way you can run it without an amp "P" cable if you like. I never run mine without an amp. I use my HF-3 for that. 

I use my pc 90% of the time . I found the er-4pt 277usd with 2 years warranty since is auhtorised reseller of etymtic and 290usd the er-4s with on year warranty only from the seller and he is seller from amazon.com from japan (etymotic charges 50usd shipping) . My though is is the sq of er-4s better than 4pt ? I have pa2v2 amp and c&c bh2 tp use with both phones, but if i can get the same sq (with the cable included) with 4pt , cheaper and with warranty from manufacturer it is worth it. But is the sq really better with s ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #142 of 183
The PT and S (as far as I know) are the same and should sound exactly the same. The S doesn't come with a P cable, but the PT has the P and S option. 

Simply put, they are exactly the same except the PT comes with more accessories (including P and S cable/adapter) which is why it cost more here in the states. That's why I say, if you can get the PT for less, you're basically getting more for less. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #143 of 183
The PT and S (as far as I know) are the same and should sound exactly the same. The S doesn't come with a P cable, but the PT has the P and S option. 

Simply put, they are exactly the same except the PT comes with more accessories (including P and S cable/adapter) which is why it cost more here in the states. That's why I say, if you can get the PT for less, you're basically getting more for less. 

Thanks for the response. They are both equally priced at 299usd from the etymotic site. Cleos that made the review stated that the s version has a bit better sound than the pt this is why i was asking. I m in dilemma right now since i managed to get both versions at same price :wink:

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #144 of 183
Thanks for the response. They are both equally priced at 299usd from the etymotic site. Cleos that made the review stated that the s version has a bit better sound than the pt this is why i was asking. I m in dilemma right now since i managed to get both versions at same price :wink:

The PT is only the same when the S adapter is used. If you don't mind using the adapter then go for the PT. Personally I hate having to use an adapter, so I went with the S.

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #145 of 183
  Was the sound the same with after you got the customs? I still want to get them, but I've heard it doesn't go in as deep and the sound changes, etc. 

I have noticed three differences: 1) 3-flange tends to seat deeper, 2) (due to #1 and design) 3-flange stays put when I move, and 3) 3-flange aperture is a bit smaller. When properly seated, I can tell no difference in the SQ between these tips. I tend to use the custom molds for stationary listening and the 3-flange while exercising.

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #146 of 183
Thanks for the response. They are both equally priced at 299usd from the etymotic site. Cleos that made the review stated that the s version has a bit better sound than the pt this is why i was asking. I m in dilemma right now since i managed to get both versions at same price
wink.gif

My pleasure. Might be a tough call, but they should sound exactly the same. gnarlsagan, good point about the adapter. It might just be more of a pain. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #147 of 183
My pleasure. Might be a tough call, but they should sound exactly the same. gnarlsagan
, good point about the adapter. It might just be more of a pain. 

Isn't the adapter basically a cable which adds resistance? On the other hand you have to use an amp with the s :wink:

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #148 of 183
Yes, that's all the cable is. You don't have to use the S with an amp, but its best and what its made for. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #149 of 183
Isn't the adapter basically a cable which adds resistance? On the other hand you have to use an amp with the s :wink:

Actually the S doesn't really need an amp from most sources. I spent quite a long time trying figure out just that, and found that even the sansa clip is able to drive them to over 110dB, well past the point of hearing damage.

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #150 of 183
Its not about if something can drive them to loud levels. It's about the sound quality. Things are dramatically tighter with an amp unless of course the source has enough to drive it. My iPhone and laptop can drive them louder than I listen but don't sound nearly as good as when amped. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back