[REVIEW] Etymotic HF5 or the ER-4S?
Oct 19, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #76 of 183
Maybe it also just makes sure that the impedance of the IEMs (or IEM / adapter combination) is substantially above the output impedance of the amplifier.......

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #77 of 183
the er 4s has been my personal target for quite a long time, however I went a different route.. I got the se 535 , brainwavz b2 clones and finally an re 272 that I returned as it was faulty ..

but I have always wondered what the er 4s sounded like but definitely don't have the cash to go for it ..

now the er 4p and the hf 5 has similar looking fr graphs, so wouldn't adding an 75 ohm adapter make the hf 5 sound just like the er 4s ? can someone confirm this please .. thanks ..

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #78 of 183
a link pointing to the sound differences when using an 75-100 ohm adapter with the hf5 would suffice.. 
I do kno that swimsonny has one up on his reviews .. but then again he has not heard the er 4s to really compare .. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #79 of 183
I haven't heard the 4s, but i do have the hf5 with 75 ohm adapter. Less and more defined bass, more treble, and better at picking up small details. Something in the lower treple/higher mids just seem a bit off to me.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #80 of 183
hmmm, I think ill just stick to my brainwavz b2 clones .. thanks 

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #81 of 183
Quote:
the er 4s has been my personal target for quite a long time, however I went a different route.. I got the se 535 , brainwavz b2 clones and finally an re 272 that I returned as it was faulty ..

but I have always wondered what the er 4s sounded like but definitely don't have the cash to go for it ..

now the er 4p and the hf 5 has similar looking fr graphs, so wouldn't adding an 75 ohm adapter make the hf 5 sound just like the er 4s ? can someone confirm this please .. thanks ..

No, it won't sound like the ER-4S. I would know because I have a 75ohm adapter. Just like the other response, I would have to agree.
Quote:
a link pointing to the sound differences when using an 75-100 ohm adapter with the hf5 would suffice.. 
I do kno that swimsonny has one up on his reviews .. but then again he has not heard the er 4s to really compare .. 

To put it simply, the ER-4S at 100ohms sounds more refined and "better" than the HF5 at 91ohms. While both were significantly difficult to drive, the ER-4S sounded much more effortless while the HF5 seemed like it was trying too hard to make a good sound. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #82 of 183
Quote:

No, it won't sound like the ER-4S. I would know because I have a 75ohm adapter. Just like the other response, I would have to agree.

To put it simply, the ER-4S at 100ohms sounds more refined and "better" than the HF5 at 91ohms. While both were significantly difficult to drive, the ER-4S sounded much more effortless while the HF5 seemed like it was trying too hard to make a good sound. 

Is it somewhat the same sound frequency wise? Because to me it seems like something is 'off' in the higher mids

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #83 of 183
Hello, guys.

I'm realy interested in Etymotic ER-4S.
My Rig is Teclast T51 + Corda 2Stepdance amp and my only IEM's are Triple.fi 10's

Corda 2Stepdance amp offers a low/high current mode switch (20 / 35mA)

With the very sensitive 117dB/mW 32ohm Triple.fi 10 I use the low (20mA) mode for enjoyable listening at about 2/3 volume level.
How would it be with the 100ohm 90dB ER-4S ?

Would the ER-4S be compatible with the Corda 2Stepdance?

Thanks!

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #84 of 183
Quote:
Is it somewhat the same sound frequency wise? Because to me it seems like something is 'off' in the higher mids

Similar, but not the same. The ER-4S always had better treble for me. I think that "off" sound in the higher mids is due to the general characteristic of the HF. I found the HF to be quite "soft" sounding around the upper-mids, probably due to reduction in overall sibilance. That's the only logical explanation I can think of. Other than that, it doesn't seem to bother me TOO much, but I do hear what you're talking about

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #85 of 183
Quote:
Hello, guys.

I'm realy interested in Etymotic ER-4S.
My Rig is Teclast T51 + Corda 2Stepdance amp and my only IEM's are Triple.fi 10's

Corda 2Stepdance amp offers a low/high current mode switch (20 / 35mA)

With the very sensitive 117dB/mW 32ohm Triple.fi 10 I use the low (20mA) mode for enjoyable listening at about 2/3 volume level.
How would it be with the 100ohm 90dB ER-4S ?

Would the ER-4S be compatible with the Corda 2Stepdance?

Thanks!

Hey, I have no idea because I haven't tried the two together. I would think that it has enough current for the ER-4S, but it always depends on how it sounds at the end of the day. I'm actually worried because I'm not too sure if my upcoming Arrow 4G will match nicely with the ER-4S or not

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #86 of 183
Quote:

thank planx.. that was informative .

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #87 of 183
I can now strongly conclude that the Ety ER-4S and the Arrow 4G sounds staggering together... Read on if you're interested how the Arrow 4G and E11 compared http://www.head-fi.org/t/643796/switch-from-e11-to-arrow-4g-a-comparison

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #88 of 183
Just noticed this thread/comparison. I have to say David is spot on with my impression of the two of them. I own them both. One for straight out of the iPhone (HF-3) which also doubles as a hands free, and one (ER4S) amped (Leckerton Audio UHA6S-MkII <-- good match) out of the iMod. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #89 of 183
Quote:
quote.gif

Thats very interesting. I supposed that coming straight from a smartphone the lower impedance earbud would win but its not always so clear.

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #90 of 183
Quote:
Thats very interesting. I supposed that coming straight from a smartphone the lower impedance earbud would win but its not always so clear.

Generally, yes. If your smartphone had a powerful amping unit inside, then the higher should sound better generally speaking. For example, a normal Westone um1 might sound better than an um1 with 75ohms. It all depends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back