[REVIEW] Etymotic HF5 or the ER-4S?
Feb 19, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #166 of 183
The er4p/t has a +10 dB gain over the S thus it is easier to drive thus you will get a more bass response easier either any given headphone since the er4p doesn't have such a high impedance . Which makes then slightly harder to driver

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #167 of 183
Yes, the hf5 are fragile. My cable is all torn up, though it works. The highs won't be sparkly like the dt880 and might appear rolled off.

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #169 of 183
Hmm... Maybe I should just save some more dough and increase my budget for this. None of the IEM's I've seen for ~$150 sound promising, at least not really for my tastes.

Perhaps, I'm not knowledgeable in that regard. I can tell you that the construction of the er-4 is much better, though

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #171 of 183

Hmm... Maybe I should just save some more dough and increase my budget for this. None of the IEM's I've seen for ~$150 sound promising, at least not really for my tastes.

do you mean looking in another direction other than etymotic?

I'm quite positive that's the message of the OP

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #172 of 183
do you mean looking in another direction other than etymotic?

I moreso meant any IEM's around the price of the HF5's. Though, if I do look into the ER-4's, I might as well review other comparable options before I decide on anything.

Perhaps, I'm not knowledgeable in that regard. I can tell you that the construction of the er-4 is much better, though

The ER-4's do look better built, and I'll definitely keep them in mind as I continue to search around. The sound signature is still iffy, just because it's difficult to judge solely from people's words. Ah, well, if I'm really curious I'll just end up ordering them and trying them out for myself. :p

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #174 of 183
He said something comparable to dt880

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #177 of 183
Neutral, ever so slightly v-shaped, sparkly, cold, sterile, good bit of bass though slightly muddy at times (IMO)

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #178 of 183
I guess the biggest issue I've had with IEM's is the tuning of the treble. I do enjoy "sparkly" highs, and I can't stand sibilance; most IEM's I've heard, though, (not that that list is particularly extensive) have pretty early roll off at the high end and never possess the airiness that I enjoy. That's really the main reason I'm returning the ATH-IM02's: the higher treble is way too recessed for my liking. I could easily live with the slightly boosted bass, but not with the lack of airy treble, mostly because it's much easier to EQ some of the bass out than to try to boost the appropriate high frequencies while still retaining accuracy (if that makes sense; I'm not exactly an expert in this field :p).

EDIT: I actually managed to find an enjoyable EQ setting for the ATH-IM02's. I've decreased the mids a slight bit (800hz -1.0dB with a Q of 0.4), decreased the harsh highs (7000hz -3.0dB with a Q of 0.8), and increased the airy highs (16000hz +6.5dB with a Q of 0.8). While this is still an imperfect solution, it's at least much closer to what the DT 880's output. Really, though, I'm now wondering if it'd be worth it to look at pricier IEM's, especially since a lot of them still seem to be mid-centric with treble that's not particularly airy. Of course, I haven't viewed absolutely all of my options, so I'm not yet giving up hope that there's a pair that fit my specifications; but if I'll need to end up EQ-ing my earphones no matter the price I spend, I actually wouldn't mind keeping the ATH-IM02's.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #179 of 183
After years wanting an HF% i finally bought one, man what a sound for just 130 dollars absolutely stunting 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back