Review: Estron Linum BaX --- New IEM Cable for a New Age
May 28, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #46 of 686
Out of curiosity, did you double-check the fit? I know in my own experience that every time I switch a cable it effects the fit of my CIEMs pretty significantly and given how low a margin for error there is with the fit of customs it can really effect the sound.

Hi DougofTheAbaci,

I haven't noticed a change in the fit.  With the BaX cable, the monitors are difficult to remove because I have to grab only the shell to pop them out.  The seal between the ear canal and the monitor is very tight.  With the stock cable the connector has more bulk creating a type of handle to help with the insertion and removal of the monitor.

Have any of folks tried a 4-wire cable yet?  The 4-wire has a separate wire for the return path for each earpiece.  

May 28, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #47 of 686
I haven't noticed a change in the fit.  With the BaX cable the monitors are difficult to remove because I have to grab only the shell.  Where with the stock cable the connector has more bulk creating a type of handle to help with the insertion and removal of the monitor.

Ah, was hoping it was a simple fix. Sorry.

I just placed my order for a 2Pin BaX. For the record, the US distributor does PayPal, if you ask. Looking forward to trying it out as every cable I've bought so far has either had build issues or ergonomic ones (I really dislike guide wires and normally the plugs stick out so far they press against my cheekbones and ruin the fit unless I push them way out).

May 28, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #48 of 686
Ah, was hoping it was a simple fix. Sorry.

I just placed my order for a 2Pin BaX. For the record, the US distributor does PayPal, if you ask. Looking forward to trying it out as every cable I've bought so far has either had build issues or ergonomic ones (I really dislike guide wires and normally the plugs stick out so far they press against my cheekbones and ruin the fit unless I push them way out).

You will like the BaX because there are no guide wires to be found 
ksc75smile.gif
  The cables make custom IEMs feel "more" custom.

May 28, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #49 of 686
I sent Warner Tech-care Products (info@warnertechcare.com) a message inquiring about the Estron Linum BaX Cable with MMCX connector.  I'm excited to get a cable without any guide wire and from a fairly reputable company.

I've purchased several aftermarket cables for the Shure SE846 and I've always run into issues with the MMCX connector.  For cables that aren't up to spec, the earphone might disconnect when you move around.  I had that happen with two separate Moon Audio cables.

The total cost for this cable (Part 8000059) was $72.00 plus $9.25 for shipping.  It's actually pretty cheap compared to any other aftermarket cable I've seen.

I'm so excited to try it out!  I'm not a huge believer in cables drastically changing sound quality, but the Shure standard cables need a ergonomic upgrade. Bonus points if they don't turn green in a year....

May 28, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #50 of 686
It's actually pretty cheap compared to any other aftermarket cable I've seen.

Definitely. Mine came out to just short of $70 with shipping.

I don't subscribe too heavily to the idea that headphone cables drastically change sound but the ergonomics of this cable appear ideal. My only concern at this point is durability but at $70 it's not that much more than a stock cable so definitely worth a try.

May 28, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #51 of 686
I received my MMCX BaX today and have been listening to them for the past couple hours. I am using them with my Shure SE846.
The MMCX BaX cost me $83.00. The stock SE846 cables can be found for $35.00.
The BaX are significantly lighter than the stock Shure cables. I should mention that I had removed the memory wire from my stock cables because they were way to uncomfortable with them. That said,  BaX is a lot more comfortable and I can barely feel them when I have them on. The distance from the y-split to the connectors on the BaX was about 11.25" which is about 4 inches shorter than the stock cable. The socket connection with the BaX is not as tight as the stock cable but it has not caused any problems. I didn't like that the left and right connector identifiers were located at the y-split adjuster and not at the connectors themselves. 

The BaX has a higher dB output than the other two types of cables in the Linum line but I was a little surprised to find that the stock Shure cable was louder than the BaX at the same volume settings. The difference was about a single button push on the iPhone volume button. There are some differences in sound between the two cables but its been hard to pinpoint exactly what right now..I will listen to them tomorrow and see if I can describe the differences instead of just saying that there are differences..

May 30, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #55 of 686
I've been using the BaX for the past day and the build quality seems good. They almost feel like string, there is hardly any rigidness to them especially from the y-split to the iems. The only thing that I noticed right away is that they tangle easily which was annoying. I'm a little concerned about the jack end because the shrink wrap is not very long so there is more wear at a smaller point in the wire. 

Sound wise, the BaX makes everything a little darker. The highs are restrained ever so slightly. I think as a result they seem a little less detailed with less separation between instruments. Lower frequencies are emphasized a bit more. The bass has a little more rumble to it. All of the differences are in a small degree which made it difficult to make immediate first impressions. I think people who have some sibilance problems might consider this cable and to increase bass a little too. I was using the white filter with the SE846 and for me it works well. For me, the white filter took too much off the lower frequencies but had better highs than the other filters. This cable kind of puts the sound in between the blue and white filter. I will add impressions after longer period of use if any of my thoughts change.

May 30, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #56 of 686
  I've been using the BaX for the past day and the build quality seems good. They almost feel like string, there is hardly any rigidness to them especially from the y-split to the iems. The only thing that I noticed right away is that they tangle easily which was annoying. I'm a little concerned about the jack end because the shrink wrap is not very long so there is more wear at a smaller point in the wire. 

Sound wise, the BaX makes everything a little darker. The highs are restrained ever so slightly. I think as a result they seem a little less detailed with less separation between instruments. Lower frequencies are emphasized a bit more. The bass has a little more rumble to it. All of the differences are in a small degree which made it difficult to make immediate first impressions. I think people who have some sibilance problems might consider this cable and to increase bass a little too. I was using the white filter with the SE846 and for me it works well. For me, the white filter took too much off the lower frequencies but had better highs than the other filters. This cable kind of puts the sound in between the blue and white filter. I will add impressions after longer period of use if any of my thoughts change.

I noticed that^ too. Sound wise I can't tell, since the BaX is the only cable I have for the BA4.

May 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #57 of 686

Thus, I really believe that TPAs are the material of the future for cables; I've already seen them used in cables from Chinese companies like Astrotec and Ostry, so they seemed primed to take over the market from the old guard of PVC, PTFE, and PE. They seem environmentally stable and can be polymerized for a variety of densities and extrusion patterns, making them ideal for cable protection.

What is TPA?

May 31, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #58 of 686
  What is TPA?

Whoops, sorry --- I could've sworn I explained it, but I guess I didn't annotate correctly. I've made the necessary corrections.

But FYI, TPA (or TPE-A) stands for "thermoplastic polyamide", and specifically TPA denotes the Arkema-proprietary variant of polyblock amide called Pebax, as explained in the passage.

The following link is a good short overview: http://www.resinex.co.uk/polymer-types/tpe.html

All of the most impressive cables I've seen so far in the past year have been made from TPE sleeving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back