Review: Estron Linum BaX --- New IEM Cable for a New Age
May 21, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #31 of 686
I am picking up a Estron Linum cable on Friday to pair with my RSM.  I'll have some impressions early next week 
ksc75smile.gif

May 21, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #32 of 686
The price and the quality seems great.  Would really like to hear SQ comparisons with the other replacement cables!

Most of the aftermarket cables nowadays are quite a bit thicker, wondering if these little cables can hold up sound wise.

Thanks in advance everyone!

May 21, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #34 of 686
Great news for those who are interested, this cable does work with recessed sockets, but just barely. I had the left cable fit with no issue, the right did not because it was slightly too long. So I grabbed a file, made about 5 passes on each end, and voila, it fits. This cable is incredibly light. I kept reading impressions that the cable felt like nothing was there, well it wasn't an exaggeration. And it takes up so much less space in my carrying case than the stock UM cable that I was using. I haven't spent any time critiquing the sound, but on convenience and comfort alone this cable is definitely worth the buy. It's already taken its place as the cable I use.

May 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #36 of 686

Just received the Linum baX cables.   Really feel weightless and super thin next to my DHC cable.    1st listening impression is really a step up from JH stock cable.    Got to burn them in before making any comments.   

May 23, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #37 of 686
I have listened to this cable for 3 songs thus far and I don't think it compares well to the stock cables at all.  It's very apparent to me that these cables steal life from the music.

I hate to be the first critic.  I am going to use my cable for a while to see if my impressions change.

May 23, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #38 of 686

Just received the Linum baX cables.   Really feel weightless and super thin next to my DHC cable.    1st listening impression is really a step up from JH stock cable.    Got to burn them in before making any comments.   

I'm just curious. When you say "got to burn them" what is really burning? There is no electronic parts. Electron in the cable?

May 23, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #39 of 686
I'm just curious. When you say "got to burn them" what is really burning? There is no electronic parts. Electron in the cable?

Hi Twinster, I don't think I am expecting night and day difference here.   But all my gears (headphones, BA or Dynamic, cables, DAPs, etc) my experience is that they do sound different after using them for a period.   My Q -audio cable for my audeze sounded different after some time and my DHC cable for my JH16pro too.    Maybe is my ears that got "burn-in"..........
bigsmile_face.gif

May 25, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #40 of 686
I have listened to this cable for 3 songs thus far and I don't think it compares well to the stock cables at all.  It's very apparent to me that these cables steal life from the music.

I hate to be the first critic.  I am going to use my cable for a while to see if my impressions change.

Which IEMs are you using with these?

May 28, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #42 of 686

Hi tf1216,
Any change in SQ since your last post? I'm thinking of getting either the BaX or the Music (most likely BaX). Would appreciate any update impressions you may have before pulling the trigger.

May 28, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #44 of 686
  Hi tf1216,
Any change in SQ since your last post? I'm thinking of getting either the BaX or the Music (most likely BaX). Would appreciate any update impressions you may have before pulling the trigger.

Hi monkeybone,

I am not a fan of this cable at all.  My first problem with the cable is how easily it tangles.  I have taken for granted how stock cables don't tangle.  Another thing to consider when using a lightweight cable is where it will be sued.  I use my monitors at my office desk where the stock cable is heavy enough to rest on the desk out of the way of the keyboard.  The BaX cable hangs in the air above the keyboard which has frustrated me a couple of times.

Continuing with my rant if I may, I haven't felt that the sound character of the cable has changed yet.  It still sounds very different from the stock cable.  I would equate the sound to how many describe putting resistors in front of an amplifier to attenuate gain.  I am really sorry for the negative comments.  I will bring the cable to the Minneapolis meet-up if anybody will be there.

May 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #45 of 686
Continuing with my rant if I may, I haven't felt that the sound character of the cable has changed yet.  It still sounds very different from the stock cable.  I would equate the sound to how many describe putting resistors in front of an amplifier to attenuate gain.  I am really sorry for the negative comments.  I will bring the cable to the Minneapolis meet-up if anybody will be there.

Out of curiosity, did you double-check the fit? I know in my own experience that every time I switch a cable it effects the fit of my CIEMs pretty significantly and given how low a margin for error there is with the fit of customs it can really effect the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back