Review: Entire Meier Audio Headphone Amp Line Compared
Sep 23, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #61 of 220
Skylab, any plan to get a 6G iPod? I want to know how it sounds different with 5G.

Sep 23, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #62 of 220
Great review of the Meier line up there Skylab !

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #63 of 220
Thanks for the great overview/review!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jan is probably never going to loan me anything again after he reads this, but I felt that the Arietta was really quite close to the Cantate in terms of performance .... my recommendation to someone looking at Meier amps will be that you should either stretch your budget and go for the Opera, or save some dough and go for the Arietta.

Jan should be happy either way because, for people like me and based on your review, we'll just save up for the Opera instead of buying the cheaper Arietta!

--Chris

Sep 23, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #64 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the great overview/review!

Jan should be happy either way because, for people like me and based on your review, we'll just save up for the Opera instead of buying the cheaper Arietta!

--Chris

OMG! I agree, that's exactly what I'm doing too. I've ditched my plans to get the Cantate and thought about getting the Arieta, but I've come to my senses and I've decided to just save up for the Opera instead!
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #65 of 220
Skylab,

1st, thanks for all the work in the comparo.

Out of curiosity I was wondering if you level matched for the comparisons.

I know that is a PITA but some say it can be done even with headphones and an SPL.

I am not even impyling that is necessary but I am curious as one more data point in the review.

Thanks again for a great review.

Sep 24, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #66 of 220
Yes, as it says in the review, I used an SPL meter to match levels to within 1 db.

Sep 24, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #68 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, as it says in the review, I used an SPL meter to match levels to within 1 db.

oops,

sorry I missed that, I should read more carefully

Thanks again for all the work.

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #69 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was also wondering, how much better is the Opera compared to the Lisa III?
tongue.gif

I believe its quite far based on Skylab's comparison of the Cantante and the Opera:
"The Opera, to me, was a SIGNIFICANT step up over the Cantate.."

and Cantante to the Aria:
"The Cantate does meaningfully outperform the Aria..."

and the Aria to the Lisa 3:
"...and I felt the Aria was slightly better in almost every area, although the LisaIII was a little warmer overall, and it more than holds its own to this fine home amp."

And so by transitivity, the Opera is more than a significant step-up over the Lisa3. This is the solution that i derived in order to hold myself back from buying the currently more popular Lisa 3 because i know i want the OPERA!
eggosmile.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #71 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnaKinDV8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe its quite far based on Skylab's comparison of the Cantante and the Opera:

"...and I felt the Aria was slightly better in almost every area, although the LisaIII was a little warmer overall, and it more than holds its own to this fine home amp."

And so by transitivity, the Opera is more than a significant step-up over the Lisa3. This is the solution that i derived in order to hold myself back from buying the currently more popular Lisa 3 because i know i want the OPERA!
eggosmile.gif

The opera is a great amp...i actually compared it to the built-in amp on my dac1 and I agree to some of the folks who had the same setup that the opera is a way better amp than the dac1 amp....

Sep 24, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #72 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by spunkmeyer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Skylab, for another excellent review. You never cease to amaze. You're one of the reasons I joined this forum. Keep up the good work.

X 2 Same goes for me too !

I have some time off work soon and I hope to be able to post my review of the Meier Cantate vs MAD Ear Purist HD1

Sep 24, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #73 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianomav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The opera is a great amp...i actually compared it to the built-in amp on my dac1 and I agree to some of the folks who had the same setup that the opera is a way better amp than the dac1 amp....

I'll like to see a review of Cantate DAC vs other DAC
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #74 of 220
Hmm did Skylab say the part about the Aria to the Lisa III in this thread or in a different one? Dont think I saw it so might have missed it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnaKinDV8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

eggosmile.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #75 of 220
Thanks for all the kind words, folks!

The direct comparison of the Cantate and the Lisa will come next weekend, I hope (depending on other obligations). But as AnakinDV8 surmised, my initial thoughts are that the Cantate is the better sounding amp, all other things being equal (which they are not - Cantate with built-in DAC, Lisa III battery-powered, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back