[Review] Encore mDSD (dac/amp) - a new pocket rocket to make you hum
Apr 27, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #46 of 130
Hi all,
I own mDSD but I do not have any measurement devices,
but I try to use Ampere app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gombosdev.ampere) 
on my Xperia Z5 phone (android 6.0) with IEM Shure SE215 of 17 Ohm impedance.
First, I turn off any connection like wifi, set lowest brightness of screen, close all other apps.

Without connection of mDSD, the number of consumption current is around of 150mA (120-160mA). 
With connected mDSD, without playing musics yet, it is around 450mA (430-470mA).
Then turn on the musics by Poweramp apps, it raises a bit, around 500mA (500- 520mA).
I did the test three times, then the calculated consumption of mDSD is about 300-350mA.

I know it is not accurate measurement due to software things, but it is referable.
Anyway, the mDSD is always warm when it is in using. I think it about 30-40 degree, but thank to metal cover, the heat sinks very fast.

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #47 of 130
Hi @fs811523 , Thank you for good app and useful testing 
smily_headphones1.gif

I try to use Ampere app on Nexus7, wifi turn off, close all other apps, just only mDSD (no headphone).

My result as photos below.

Nexus7 only

Nexus7 + mDSD

Have a nice day... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #48 of 130
@tui2004 : Thanks, it makes my result reasonable.
Besides, I feel my mDSD is warm, like 40 degree - not too hot.
Sound is good. I also use HD598, there is no problem that I can see so far.

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #49 of 130
@fs811523 , You are lucky with Xperia Z5 but I'm not lucky with Moto E

that's why I try to find out how many powers that mDSD need to draw.

We are both found that it's not low as someone told.

Have a nice day... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #50 of 130
If mDSD is so sensible like you say, the Indiegogo project comment section would have been flooded with complains. But do you see any? There are a few people with problems with Windows device driver installation and they eventually solved it (which is not related to mDSD). There is a customer who tried to use mDSD to drive relatively inefficient headphone and could not enough volume out of it so he is sending it back for refund.
And you can send it back for refund too (follow the RMA and return process on www.sonicunity.com

I suggest that you try an IEM just in case your headphone requires more power then allowed.

I tried multiple headphones, and all exhibited the same issue. I was not aware of a "spec" for the headphones used, other than the "30-300ohm" spec on the campaign page. I don't even own a set of IEM's, except the ones I got with my iPhone. As I said in my original post, it could be a stack up of tolerances in the electronic components that makes mine so sensitive and apparently draw too much power. It is entirely possible, since it is not unheard of to get multiple components that are at the high end of their spec range on the same board in the same circuit. I have seen such things when doing failure analysis when I worked in design engineering. Also, I would assume that it is close to the limit of what an iPhone will allow as far as power draw, just to accomplish what it needs to do. I never saw any specs, and honestly, I have not looked up the specs for what the iPhone will allow. I am guessing from your general tone, that you are somehow involved in this product? I had no idea when I posted. If so, surely you realized that a large number of buyers would be phone users, right? The minimal sized package would appeal most to people tired of hauling larger DAC/Amp combos around, rather than laptop users. If I am already slogging a laptop around, I would not really care how big my DAC/Amp is, as long as it fits in the laptop bag. But now I do see another post about a phone user having similar issues, so maybe this is not widespread, but it is not as improbable as you made it sound. I assumed since there was a post about how to adjust the volume on the phone and the unit specifically addressed to iPhone users that there had at least been some complaints, if not outright issues with iPhone compatibility. The fact that there was a post made at all seems to indicate that there is some sort of issue, since it came out within a day of people getting their units. I'm sorry if it offends, but I want to plug it in and use it, not take multiple steps to ensure it won't crap out on me. The Cozoy Astrapi has no such issues, so perhaps my expectations were too high. Maybe I also got the wrong idea about how this site works. I thought we were supposed to discuss our experience with these devices, not just posting glowing reviews. I would think that the fact that I kept it relatively calm, and just inquired if any other iPhone users were experiencing issues would be appreciated, since I could have just written my own very negative review, with a really pissy headline that would pop up in Google search results. There are people who live for posting wildly negative reviews and would have vented their frustration as loudly as possible. I did not feel like that was necessary at all, and was relatively low key about it.
I will request a new unit, because I would love to have one that works and will be glad to post if it functions at all, and if it functions really well, I will love to say so. After all, I did support the campaign, and I was as low maintenance as a supporter can get, since I did not clog up the forum with stupid questions or groaning about a lack of updates, or delivery dates, etc. I just put my money in, and read the email updates.
Finally, the first headphones I tried it with were the Rockmaster OE's that were sold along with these devices. Now they worked well on all of my other gear, and sound amazingly good for their price range. But they had the same issue with the mDSD. I am not an idiot, and don't expect this rather small output amp to support Sennheiser HD800's (although the specs claim 30-300ohm). But expecting anything above a whisper would be a bit much for 300ohm headphones with 40mw pushing them. I stuck to 32ohm headphones, which I felt was a reasonable expectation. In fact, suggesting I try IEM's was a bit strange given the claims made, and was completely irrelevant, since I bought it to use with headphones, and the posted information gave every indication that I would be able to do so. Your own campaign page states "It can drive many headphones with ease including some top audiophile brands. Of course our own ENCORE RockMaster on-ear and in-ear headphones are an excellent match for a killer combo that won't cost a fortune!".

Apr 28, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #51 of 130
  @tui2004 : Thanks, it makes my result reasonable.
Besides, I feel my mDSD is warm, like 40 degree - not too hot.
Sound is good. I also use HD598, there is no problem that I can see so far.

Hi @fs811523

FYI, testing with Ampere app, this one is consuming about 50mA -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/805832/new-dragonfly-black-and-red-discussion/15#post_12540375

Have a nice day... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #52 of 130
But expecting anything above a whisper would be a bit much for 300ohm headphones with 40mw pushing them.

I can't chime in on all the hooplah about power draw, but 1mW gets you around ~95dB on an HD650. You're not at rock concert levels, but that's a fair bit more than a whisper. Though I don't have one on hand, the HD800 have similar sensitivity (even a bit higher if I recall).

I also have a modded Fostex T50rp which is a lower impedance but less efficient load and I can get more than enough volume out of it.

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #53 of 130
All the hoopla started when I responded to someone about the power consumption for mDSD when I read some Apple supported related post that iPhone can only allow for 20mA draw from external devices. But that was incorrect. Some people might be thinking that I am avoiding or intentionally keeping people waiting for answers.
That's not the case.  I have been too busy with my travel and also trying to get an answer from engineering.  I asked for more test with iPhone, iPhone6S, power measurement for mDSD alone, with music playing etc so that I won't give out misleading info again.

Here's what I have been able to confirm:
1. mDSD idle power consumption is about 130mA.  Some other Portable DAC such as DragonFly only consumes 50mA because it is not using the XMOS chip, which gives you 32bit/384kHz USB performance.  XMOS chip consumes about 100mA.  
2. The smartphone consumes more power when sending music to the USB audio out (more CPU usage) so it is not just mDSD that consumes all the extra power when you play USB audio out.
3. Regarding iPhone6S problem that one user encountered, we can not duplicate it.  Factory staff tested mDSD on 4 iPhone6S, 2 iPhone6, and I have iPad Air2, iPad Pro 9.7" and iPhone 6Plus.  All running mDSD without any problem.
4. mDSD runs hot but doesn't consume more power than the NuPrime uDSD ($179).  It feels hot because the aluminium case is used as heatsink and right on top of the XMOS chip. It is better to conduct heat away from the top cover.

Anyway, if you purchase mDSD from Indiegogo project or from Sonic Unity retail store and are not happy with it (whatever the reason), please create a help desk ticket on mytdss.com (for tracking reason), then ship the mDSD to the address indicated on Sonic Unity website for a full refund.

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #54 of 130
Hi jasonl, I am here not to complain. I think I like mDSD, even I  am not an expect (or not a veteran audiophile).
At the moment, I have no problem with it. Thanks for your information.
Anyway, I heard there is coming-soon version 2 of mDSD in there official website. I emailed to staff but they said they did not know.
Could you tell us about the next generation? Thanks a lot.

Apr 28, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #55 of 130

No, there is no mDSD version 2.  We just sold almost 1K units and now making more. 
This is our philosophy for portable device listening:
1. If you want to listen to high-res music with the best sound for hours every day, use a dedicated player (NuPrime coming out with a portable multi-zone server that is also a player), will be showing at The High End Show in Munich, Germany next week.  I will be there to demo it.
2. For short listening while traveling, mDSD.  Or use mDSD with tablet, which has plenty of power.

mDSD is actually good enough even for desktop personal use, provided you have efficient headphone or IEM. 
But there is just one short coming for mDSD as a desktop DAC - it has no easy to turn volume knob.  It is much more convenient to quickly reach for the knob and turn when some online video or music sounded too loud. I still prefer uDSD over mDSD for my desktop. Sound quality wise, the $99 mDSD is just very slightly more detailed than the $179 uDSD.

Apr 28, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #56 of 130
I really like the Encore and use it exclusively when I'm working out at the gym because its extremely small. 

That being said , I have had the device is drawing too much power pretty frequently. I have found that if I open the app first like the Onkyo 
player on my iphone 6+ and then plug in the camera connection kit ( with earphones already plugged in) it works most of the time. 

Sometimes I have to unplug the CCK and plug it back in if I change apps. 

Anyway I am happy with the quality I'm getting and its not a huge hassle to unplug and plug back in.  

Is it as good as my Chord Mojo ? Of course not, but for 99 bucks it's money very well spent. 
Update:5/14 For some reason , I no longer am getting the "device draws too much power message" anymore . That's good . Great little device - well worth 99 bucks

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #57 of 130
Hi @jasonl ,

Finally, now I know where 20mA came from. Could you please fix this information with your reviewer here -> http://headfonics.com/2016/02/the-encore-mdsd-by-sonic-unity/

According to your reply that "mDSD idle power consumption is about 130mA.", this value is coming from the spec sheet of XMOS or you test it, and how?

And why your factory staff only tested iOS devices, the mDSD does not support Android devices?

Do you have Samsung Note 3, right? Could you just try Ampere App with Note 3 + mDSD? Then show us the idle / active power consumption. Just for fun, it's very easy.

Have a nice day... 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #58 of 130
Can someone direct me to what cable will work with the 3.5mm shared digital OUTPUT port. I understand that the port fits a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, but what digital cable will work, to connect the Encore to a stereo or preamplifier (coaxial or optical)?

May 12, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #59 of 130
Any standard toslink cable will work. You just need a toslink adapter (which I believe comes with the mDSD) to fit the smaller end.

Or something like this which is already modified at one end (first one I found on amazon):
http://www.amazon.com/FosPower-Toslink-Digital-Connectors-Strain-Relief/dp/B00T8HWV62

Users who are viewing this thread

Back