[Review] Encore mDSD (dac/amp) - a new pocket rocket to make you hum
Apr 18, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #31 of 130
Well the mDSD is really designed for lower power consumption and portable devices. As for the specific pairing with the HTC 10, that's rather impossible for me to comment on since I don't have one
rolleyes.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #33 of 130
Does anyone have any issues using this with an iPhone? I have a 6s+, and this thing is nearly impossible to use. I have mine set up with the Onkyo app and high res files using the genuine Apple camera connection kit. But it seems like this thing is at the hairy edge of the power draw Apple will allow for an unpowered device, and while I could plug it in and start playing, just touching the volume control on either device will cause the "Device is not compatible" error. Yes, I read the suggestions for the volume controls published on Indiegogo, but the problem is still there. I have not touched it since the third day I had it because it is just so frustrating to try to use in this situation. But, it is so close to the edge on the power draw, it would not surprise me at all if some units are fine, and others are like mine just due to a stack up of tolerances in the electronic components. I have been so disgusted that I have not even connected it to my Mac to see how it sounds. I bought it primarily for the iPhone because of the size, and it has failed me. I bought a Cozoy Astrapi about a week before this arrived, and it is a very similar device, and close to the same price point for the retail model, yet it functions flawlessly, and sounds awesome. I really wanted this to work, and was extremely disappointed within the first 5 minutes, which is not good.

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #34 of 130
If mDSD is so sensible like you say, the Indiegogo project comment section would have been flooded with complains. But do you see any? There are a few people with problems with Windows device driver installation and they eventually solved it (which is not related to mDSD). There is a customer who tried to use mDSD to drive relatively inefficient headphone and could not enough volume out of it so he is sending it back for refund.
And you can send it back for refund too (follow the RMA and return process on www.sonicunity.com

I suggest that you try an IEM just in case your headphone requires more power then allowed.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #37 of 130
If mDSD is so sensible like you say, the Indiegogo project comment section would have been flooded with complains. But do you see any? There are a few people with problems with Windows device driver installation and they eventually solved it (which is not related to mDSD). There is a customer who tried to use mDSD to drive relatively inefficient headphone and could not enough volume out of it so he is sending it back for refund.
And you can send it back for refund too (follow the RMA and return process on www.sonicunity.com

I suggest that you try an IEM just in case your headphone requires more power then allowed.

Hi @jasonl , I'm the one that asked and sent you information about mDSD in Indiegogo project comment.

I thought I should contact you there at Indiegogo, because it not fair to you to spread my question here.

But it not fair that you not mention my comment at Indiegogo when you wrote to @MJLavelle

So, the question (with many photos) that I asked you there ->

" I found the power required for my Encore mDSD is very high (300mA-350mA). So it can only use with my PC but cannot detect with my Android phone except connect mDSD with powerbank + OTG cable then my Phone will can see and play with (pls see photo below). My mDSD is normal? and what is the true power required for mDSD? "

Link -> https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/encore-mdsd-portable-usb-dac-headphone-amp/x/13346187#/comments

And you let me wait for you to disguss with engineer and factory, right?

I also ask the reviewer in Headfonics   link -> http://headfonics.com/2016/02/the-encore-mdsd-by-sonic-unity/

about his review that said "
Encore have wisely designed the draw from mobile devices to be less than 20mAh".

I ask him I wonder the 20mA came from his testing or from spec sheet.

But he not answer about 20mA testing or spec sheet, just told about what phones work or not work with him

and question back about cheap phone 
redface.gif

Have a nice day...  
smily_headphones1.gif

Moto E + Apple Music + Powerbank + mDSD (no headphone) -> 340mA

With Moto E, mDSD never power up (no red led) without Powerbank.

Nexus7 + UAPP + mDSD + Dunu Titan1 -> 350mA

Nexus7 + UAPP + mDSD (no headphone) -> 340mA

Moto E + Apple Music + Fiio Q1 (charge on) + earbud -> 120mA

Moto E + Apple Music + Fiio Q1 (charge off) + earbud -> 000mA

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #40 of 130
Anyway @jasonl , you leave me waiting at Indiegogo, how about my case after you discuss with engineer and factory ?

So, please back to Indiegogo Project Comment and solve my case there

-> https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/encore-mdsd-portable-usb-dac-headphone-amp/x/13346187#/comments  

Thank you... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #41 of 130
Is the sound normal in your headphones? Is the case warm? That's a massive power draw that makes me think something is defective or there's a short somewhere.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #42 of 130
Sound is normal if my source can supply enough power to mDSD.

But I don't know why my mDSD consume more than spec (spec is ????mA).

Or why my phone cannot supply 3xxmA to mDSD 
redface.gif

Thank you... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Moto E + Apple Music + Powerbank + mDSD + earbud -> Sound good but 340mA

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #43 of 130
Hi @Armaegis , Do you have mDSD on hand ? Could you please measure power consumtion of yours?

It will help me a lot because I cannot find this spec anywhere except at Headfonics.com which still in question.

Thank you... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #44 of 130
Unfortunately I do not have any tools to measure power consumption. I did plug it into my Android phone but never got it to work (I have an old phone, most things don't work with it) although it did light up with power. Testing my battery life in that sense, I left it attached for the day and while it did drop my battery a bit, it didn't drain it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back