[Review] Encore mDSD (dac/amp) - a new pocket rocket to make you hum
Feb 12, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #17 of 130
Hey guys, my team (previously did the design for NuForce uDAC etc) have been designing high-end DACs, battery powered DACs and USB powered DAC since 2007.  We also private label (i.e. OEM/ODM) to a few other brands that we can not name and they are well known). 
The Encore mDSD is currently the highest performing USB powered DAC (32-bit/384kHz, DSD256 native) that can be powered by PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices directly.  And it is the cheapest.

The reason we did not use NuPrime brand for mDSD because:
1) the price of this product doesn't fit NuPrime's worldwide distribution model
2) this product is positioned for OEM and direct retailing.  We are pursuing a different sales channel through the Encore brand.

The mDSD has become my personal traveling and companion DAC anywhere I go with my MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone 6+.

Last two days for you to buy at a discount on Indiegogo.

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #19 of 130
Encore mDSDs will ship out this week?

Mar 1, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #20 of 130
  Can you tell me whether this could power low sensitive 120Ohm headphone like AKG K612 Pro?

I used to have the K612 but did not try it with the mDSD. I would guess that it could do alright, but the K612 is somewhat power hungry. The mDSD is really for portable use with more sensitive cans. The K612 wants something quite a bit beefier.

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #21 of 130
Is it working on Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 Edge?

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #23 of 130
i recently fell back in love with 2-channel audio.  i am sure my comments won't mean very much.  i was turned on to this product after having bought a NuPrime IDA-8 integrated amplifier.  amazing.  all of things that this one box design was able to do made me pursue the Encore mDSD.

i only have two pairs of over the ear headphones left.  A pair of B&W P7's and my Sonus Faber Prymas.  i am not disappointed not having a more elaborate kit- simply because this HPA/DAC serves the ability to playback high resolution tracks without the limitations of a home based reference kit.

my portable experiences have been with a Resonessence Labs Herus; Herus+; and Dragonfly 1.0 and 1.2.  All of which I still own.  the technologies have advanced so much in just a year; that resale of any of those items is obsolete as we type.

the Encore fails to disappoint.  it's warmer and less clinical than the RL Herus+ but the Herus+ is still a phenomenal piece of gear.  HP matching is a must.  I only received the encore today but continued time and break in will further illicit more commentary and thoughts of this already amazing product.

important points...  i love that its a plug and play device.  it's currently being connected to a Macbook Air running Audirivana and iTunes.  all files ALAC format. i can't wait to connect it to my iPad and iPhone 6 plus to determine how much better the DAC is in direct A/B comparison.

the downside to Apple anything is the necessity to find a camera to lightening cable that i will have to purchase yet again.  i've read the limitations of the USB connection here- but its direct form factor of being able to plug directly into a laptop or computer device that make this device already stellar in terms of connect ability.

happy listening.

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #24 of 130
Still waiting for mine to arrive.

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #25 of 130
I got mine yesterday and tried it with my IEMs last night. It pairs very well with my IEMs and overall, I'm very happy with the purchase and for the price, I think it's a great buy. I got an apple lightning to usb adapter, but I don't see myself using the mDSD with either my Iphone or Ipad. I find it that the apple adapter is way too stiff and probably fragile to bend and when you add the DAC, it sticks out about 6"-7" out and it just makes it very impractical to use in my case, since I'm always on the move. I mainly bought this to use it with my macbook, so for that purpose I find this ideal and very convenient. 

Mar 30, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #26 of 130
Mine already arrived in the forwarding company I used. Hopefully they'll ship the items here this week or early next week.

Sent from my SHV-E300S using Tapatalk

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #27 of 130
1/15 posts before I can start selling/buying stuff :D

I have received the Encore mDSD, and I have to say that I am pretty impressed with the product overall.

Pros:
1. It has a volume control independent of your device (#awesomevolumesteps) (I only used it on the computer so far, haven't tried it with my phone).
2. Light indicator - red for all normal music, blue for DSD files.
3. An improvement can be heard over my laptop's DAC, albeit not a very big difference.

Problems I faced (not sure whether my problem or the DAC's) - I downloaded a DSD song file from Oppo's website to test out the DSD function of this DAC (I have never ever had DSD before), and I downloaded Foobar2000, and downloaded ASIO and drivers required, but when I played the song, it was nothing but white noise - couldn't even adjust the volume of the noise - needed to pause.

Thanks for reading :)

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #28 of 130
If you have problem with USB audio or player setup to play DSD file, go through these FAQ
http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/reviews/faq.html
If you still can't solve the problem, PM me or create a help desk ticket at mytdss.com
If you are new to DSD, try to use JRiver Media Player, it is much easier to setup.

iOS or Android each has a good player that can decode DSD file, it is mentioned in the FAQ.

Jason

Apr 2, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #29 of 130
My current portable set-up:

iphone 5S -> onkyo HF player (up-sample all my PCM materials to DSD128) -> Apple CCK -> Encore mDSD -> P1 or R2A (outdoor) or HD800S (indoor).

Very smooth and transparent sound. I actually prefer this setup compared to my other Fiio X5 + Aune B1 (freaking heavy) stack sonically and functionally.

Apr 17, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #30 of 130
Hi Armaegis!
What are your thoughts on pairing this with the supposed good amp in HTC 10.
I know it isn't out yet, but the precedent set my A9 is pretty promising.
Even if we push aside the Personal Audio gimmicks, this should be a promising portable option especially with IEMs, yes? 

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back