[Review] Earsonics SM3 - 2010's Star Child
Jun 28, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #61 of 75
Photofan1986, in fact your description of SM3 in the appreciation thread pretty much mirrors what I am thinking of them now...

If burn in, both driver and brain, really effects how they sound, I think I need at least three weeks time to get used to SM3. Just like the good old days when I first received my SM3 on March...

koonhua90, I always thought SM3 is lacking some clarity, especially in the midrange. That is with stock comply tips though :frowning2:

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #63 of 75

Quote:
shigzeo I see you are being flooded with questions...So I give you another one :)

Do you still have the Radius DDM, or access to them? I remember you saying you have returned them to their owner.

I received my SM3 today. And I am undergoing the burn in process for the second time, which also means dissappointment out of box. I couldn't believe these was the phones I enjoyed so much during the last few months, before I sent them in twice for repair (which took a good whole month + 3 days).

I was listening to the SM3 while digging out the Radius DDM, thinking of lending them to a friend of mine who has borrowed my IE8 and loving them. Then I swapped from SM3 to DDM. There is the clarity which doesn't exist in SM3. There is the better instrument separation which I couldn't believe.

I know I need some serious brain and driver burn in before making any conclusion. I am just wondering what you think of SM3's clarity compared to DDM?

By the way I am using bi-flange stock tips. Franck sent my custom tips in another parcel and I haven't received them.

The DDM are returned to their original owner (though I don't have confirmation of receipt!....). One of the things I found most amazing in the DDM was their midrange. I've never come across such definition which is one of the reasons I praised their sound so much. Both earphones are smooth, but the DDM has a very special sound. The SM3 is overall a better earphone, but it isn't an attention grabbing earphone. Bass, mids and treble come out smoothly with great decay and attack and resolution. They don't however WOW like the DDM's strongpoints.

By all accounts, however, I'd use the SM3 over the DDM. If the DDM was ergonomically constructed and had a good cable, it would probably be my next and final earphone.

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #64 of 75
Mmhh, then I might reconsider the idea of send them back for a driver check! Maybe there is nothing wrong with the drivers after all...Or your pair has the same problem, which would'nt be nice...
I noticed yesterday that when I use biflanges and pull my ear lobe, I hear a sudden clear gain in clarity, which is not the case with my other phones.
I think I will still give me some time to find the right tips before sending them back (which would cost me quite a lot, especially if there's nothing wrong).

Thanks for your input KLS, at least I feel a litlle less alone
redface.gif

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #65 of 75
Are you using small-hole dual flanges?  The stock ones have quite a large opening, and it might be that small hole tips sharpen the treble too much, in my opinion.

I've found that when using the stock silicone tips, if I insert them to get a good seal, then pull them out slightly, I get much better definition in the mid range and the SM3s really shine....

Quote:
Mmhh, then I might reconsider the idea of send them back for a driver check! Maybe there is nothing wrong with the drivers after all...Or your pair has the same problem, which would'nt be nice...
I noticed yesterday that when I use biflanges and pull my ear lobe, I hear a sudden clear gain in clarity, which is not the case with my other phones.
I think I will still give me some time to find the right tips before sending them back (which would cost me quite a lot, especially if there's nothing wrong).

Thanks for your input KLS, at least I feel a litlle less alone
redface.gif

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #66 of 75
I am using a quite short biflange actually, they have large openings but do not go very deeply.
I have ordered a couple of tips, and will report once they arrive.
Aaarggh, the wait is killing me!
triportsad.gif

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #67 of 75
shigzeo, thanks for your thoughts :) I think I just need some time to readjust to the SM3.

Photofan1986, hope things change for us ^^ You make me want to listen to the RE252.

One-month-blank of SM3 changes my audio experience very much. Comments based on memory is in fact very skeptical. This is very true to my brain at least.

I am expecting my remolded UE10 in the mid of July, and I shall see how SM3 changes within me by that time.

EDIT: 8 hours of burn in and my SM3 is coming back. Still a little 'weird' in the midrange, but I am sure this is the SM3 I know of.

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #68 of 75
I find this phenomenon with the SM3 peculiar. It almost appears as if the listener has to persist with the SM3 in order to appreciate its special sonic qualities, be that through earphone or brain burn-in. 

Based on my own listening experience and from what I've read, I'm sceptical that a balanced armature earphone should require any burn-in at all, let alone as much as the SM3 seems to need. The earphones and headphones that I have owned revealed their sonic characteristics to me from the moment I started listening to music through them. I've never detected any perceivable change in the sound of a single one.  

Have any SM3 owners sought advice from Earsonics regarding the need for burn-in with their balanced armature earphones?   

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #69 of 75
Hi shigzeo, I asked this of you earlier in the thread but you've been fielding a number of questions - just how laid back is the SM3 treble? Is it as laid back as the SE530, which I regard as slightly "rolled-off"?

And have you noticed any change in the sound of the SM3 over time that is unrelated to changing eartips?

Thanks.

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #70 of 75
Actually I asked Franck from EarSonics regarding burn in for SM3, and he replied saying no burn in is needed.

I am not sure if balanced armature or even dynamic driver needs any burn in to settle down, but my brain definitely need some time to get used to the sound siganture.

When I received my SM3 a few months ago, I have burnt them in for more than 300 hours before actually listening to them extensively, and they were as disappointing as my out-of-box impression.

I have to admit that I was expecting too much and have been longing for my SM3 back from repair. Since they went away for holiday for a whole month I was left alone only to read the praise of them in Head-Fi, which might be the cause of initial disappointment when they didn't wow me on our reunion. Something to do with pschycology I think.

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #71 of 75
I guess the level of 'brain' burn in depends on which headphones the user's been using before and for how long, and how analytically they listen.

Physical burn in - who knows, except the scientists?

Took me about a couple of hours, if that, to adjust to the SM3 coming off the back of the e-Q7. But then I'm not one of those who listens to music for 28 hours a day.  They sounded pretty special out of the box, albeit a little veiled, then either the veil lifted by the crossovers buring in a bit, or they didn't and my brain got used to it, or a bit of both. I suspect the latter.

Quote:
I find this phenomenon with the SM3 peculiar. It almost appears as if the listener has to persist with the SM3 in order to appreciate its special sonic qualities, be that through earphone or brain burn-in. 

Based on my own listening experience and from what I've read, I'm sceptical that a balanced armature earphone should require any burn-in at all, let alone as much as the SM3 seems to need. The earphones and headphones that I have owned revealed their sonic characteristics to me from the moment I started listening to music through them. I've never detected any perceivable change in the sound of a single one.  

Have any SM3 owners sought advice from Earsonics regarding the need for burn-in with their balanced armature earphones?   

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #72 of 75

Quote:
Hi shigzeo, I asked this of you earlier in the thread but you've been fielding a number of questions - just how laid back is the SM3 treble? Is it as laid back as the SE530, which I regard as slightly "rolled-off"?

And have you noticed any change in the sound of the SM3 over time that is unrelated to changing eartips?

Thanks.

Hello - the treble is laid back and to an extent, rolled off. But it isn't rolled off as steeply as the SE530. I love the SE530, but the SM3 generally is a more neutral representation of it with better, but not excellent high frequency extension. Don't expect a lot of shimmer, but expect a good listen.

As far as burn in, I'll admit to no changes, but I am not going to argue for or against it. I've not experienced many changes due to burn in, but that's not to say it doesn't exist. One thing that does exist is acclimatisation: my ears, when not used to a certain earphone, take longer to get 'used to' a new sound. When I do finally begin to see the good/bad of the new sound, however, it is often a revelation.

Jun 28, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #73 of 75
Thanks shigzeo. There is a UM3X v SM3 thread, which I'll check out. I think that you spent some time with the UM3X and regarded it highly. How does its highs compare to the SM3? 

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #74 of 75
https://www.soundearphones.com/earsonics/earsonics-sm3-earphones

Sound Earphones now has the SM3 on their site... US retailer ftw! And you can use "Site15" coupon code to save 15% today. So you can get an SM3 for $305 + shipping.

I'm seriously debating whether to try for a perfect fit on my JH13's again or switch to a universal SM3.

Shigzeo any updates on your SM3 use? Still loving it? Any chance you prefer it to the JH13?

Nov 4, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #75 of 75
Opened my IEM Time Capsule today and took out the SM3. Reread this thread to relive 2010. I don't use mine much, so they are still in one piece and still sound just as good. Now to finish the 2010 revival, I will get out the FX700 and Radius DDM (CK10 is still in semi-regular rotation). It was a much simpler time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back