Review: Denon D2000
Jun 28, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #121 of 232
Jun 28, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #122 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/dar...-d2000-246341/

Thanks.

...it's just that I have this terrible urge to buy another closed can.
evil_smiley.gif

The D2000 seems like a great buy at just over $200.

Jun 28, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #123 of 232
pataburd, I just got some hd600s and am loving them so much even though my system isn't optimized for them yet. How does the d2000 better the hd600s?

On the HD600s,

Bass... I don't need more
Mids... practically the best ive heard on Cans
Highs... could be a little tamer but I think It just needs some burn in.

Soundstage is great even from my integrated amp and a cheap pioneer cd/dvd player. hmm what can a closed can of this price range possibly do better than the senns

Jun 28, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #124 of 232
Don't know about the D2000s, but compared to the D5000s, which are very similar...

With the Marantz SA-8001, or Monarchy M24, or Cal Audio Alpha, and the DV332 - the "new" HD580/600s sound very, very similar to the D5000s, but may have a slightly more rich and aggressive sound.

The bass of the "new" HD580/600s has just as much slam, and is tighter, though it may not be quite as loud at the lowest frequencies, and it doesn't overwhelm the other frequencies. The mids of the "new" HD580/600s are a bit more prominent, as well as the highs.

The D5000s may have very, very slightly more very fine detail (inner detail).

I'm not sure yet... but... I may prefer the "new" HD580/600s... but... they sound very much alike - certainly not enough different to buy the D5000s, in addition to the "new" HD580/600s, if you already own them.

But... you know what... all my phones sound very similar, with my set up - including my RS-1s, and AD2000s. I wonder if the DV332 is just so powerful and controlling, that it imposes its sound on any set of phones? Just one possible reason why I hear very little difference in them... if they are very different - other than ear fatigue. Though, I kinda doubt it.

Jun 29, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #125 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pataburd, I just got some hd600s and am loving them so much even though my system isn't optimized for them yet. How does the d2000 better the hd600s?

On the HD600s,

Bass... I don't need more Mids... practically the best ive heard on Cans Highs... could be a little tamer but I think It just needs some burn in. Soundstage is great even from my integrated amp and a cheap pioneer cd/dvd player. hmm what can a closed can of this price range possibly do better than the senns

I really would like to read a D2000 vs HD600 comparison from Pataburd as well....

Jun 30, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #126 of 232
Donunus/Tieman,
God willing, I'll try to post some comparisons this next week. Part of the problem (for me) is that I feel the HD600 are better suited by the Darkvoice 337, and the D2000 by the Bada PH-12. In all fairness, I should do the a/b-ing using both amps.

This is my third outing with the HD600. They are excellent cans, no question about it, but for some reason I reach more often for the D2000; they've been the more engaging of the two. The Denon have "clicked" with me, and at this point I can't explain it any better.

Hopefully, in the course of the days ahead I can determine the particulars of my preference. Both are well-balanced headphones. The HD600 are perhaps more refined, but in a polite sort of way. The D2000 have a directness that I prefer, as well as a slight edge in speed, IMHO (although the DV337 improves the sense of speed and immediacy of the HD600 quite notably).

: )

PAB

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #127 of 232
Today my D2000 arrived.
Every word Pataburd has written about them, is very true.
Great, great headphones.
Made me sell the HD580 and the DT770.

Jul 4, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #129 of 232
i got the denons too, but like a couple of days ago. im satisfied with them except that they do leak sound pretty bad, but relatively isolates sound. the leakage may be a problem though.

but anyways i dont care much, im enjoying it right now, especially since i payed $500 for it. yea i know in norway its expensive, but atleast i got 2 years of warranty and 5 years of some other warranty for it.

the cans are very comfortable and feels lite even though its huge, but it may sweat ur ears a bit. anyways head-fi made me buy it and i think its worth it. cheers

Jul 4, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #130 of 232
always enjoy reading your reviews. thanks for update. although, hearing memory is quite short and over a span of months, very inaccurate for measuring/comparing subtle details. i'd be interested in a head to head comparison with the proline 750.

for example....despite listening to the 750s and 990s every day, i'm sometimes surprised at what i hear when i do a direct comparison of the two, taking one off and putting the other one on. i certainly can't imagine anyone remembering the exact sound sig of a headphone for more than a few seconds (unless one writes down notes)

Jul 5, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #131 of 232
Quote:

If it werent for the reliability issue, I would have gotten them in an instant

Well, that's my main concern about these cans. The moment I got them, I removed the earpads, and checked the famous screw. They are tight.
But they look and feel a lot less sturdy then Beyers and Senns.

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #132 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
always enjoy reading your reviews. thanks for update. although, hearing memory is quite short and over a span of months, very inaccurate for measuring/comparing subtle details. i'd be interested in a head to head comparison with the proline 750.

for example....despite listening to the 750s and 990s every day, i'm sometimes surprised at what i hear when i do a direct comparison of the two, taking one off and putting the other one on. i certainly can't imagine anyone remembering the exact sound sig of a headphone for more than a few seconds (unless one writes down notes)

Shah,
Your observation makes sense. However, of all the cans I've owned in the past, none of them have had the "grabbing" power of the Denon, in the sense that I always want to go back to them.

My Cardas/HD600 are up for sale, too. : )
PAB

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #133 of 232
pataburd,

I have the HD600 and have had the Denon D5000, and I think the issue may turn out to be long-term livability.

I can't be sure, of course, but would suggest that 6 months or so out, you'll be coming around to the HD600 for a fourth time, as will others.

Just as the K701 tends to get jettisoned, the "directness" of the Denons comes off, over extended listening, as a shallower or less refined sound. At least with the D5000, which, I'm afraid, have a reputation of being even smoother than the D2000.

"Directness" always comes at a cost. Generally a cost to depth and complexity.

I do think that people will be able to stick with the Denons for longer than they could the DT880 or K701.

I've tried really, really hard to get beyond the HD600. I want to.

But the depressing reality that I've had to face is that the HD600 may be as good as sub-$1000 dynamic cans get. Very sobering.

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #134 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pataburd,

I have the HD600 and have had the Denon D5000, and I think the issue may turn out to be long-term livability.

I can't be sure, of course, but would suggest that 6 months or so out, you'll be coming around to the HD600 for a fourth time, as will others.

Just as the K701 tends to get jettisoned, the "directness" of the Denons comes off, over extended listening, as a shallower or less refined sound. At least with the D5000, which, I'm afraid, have a reputation of being even smoother than the D2000.

"Directness" always comes at a cost. Generally a cost to depth and complexity.

I do think that people will be able to stick with the Denons for longer than they could the DT880 or K701.

I've tried really, really hard to get beyond the HD600. I want to.

But the depressing reality that I've had to face is that the HD600 may be as good as sub-$1000 dynamic cans get. Very sobering.

Greg,
You may be correct. The only thing for certain for me at this point is that the Cardas/HD600 are being packed up and readied for shipment, while the D2000 are still on my ears.

In terms of open headphones, the K501 already have my decisive vote over the HD600, anyway! And while I readily agree that the HD600 are among the best "mid-fi" offerings for an open can, and that their level of refinement is stellar, they concede to the D2000 (IMHO) in terms of openness and spatiality as well as immediacy and a concordant engaging quality--for me at least. (Depth and complexity can sometimes come at the expense of over-restraint with the HD600/650, IMHO.) But your point is well-taken, and as a result I shan't dispose of the HD600 as quickly as I might otherwise have. : )

That said, the HD600 sound really, really good right now [they're back out of the box] with the Darkvoice 337--especially with the Mullard 6080 tubes! Maybe some additional and more critical/extensive a/b-ing is order.

But I still get this mounting urge to strap on the D2000! : )
PAB

Jul 7, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #135 of 232
Quote:

If it werent for the reliability issue, I would have gotten them in an instant

Donunus,
I would hope by now that Denon has solved or is in the process of solving these issues with the latest production run(s). On the other hand, the HDxx0 have been around long enough to minimize or eliminate the sorts of things that happen early in the life of a headphone--or any new product, for that matter, too.

clink! bounce . . . What was that? : )

. . . just kidding. I've had no issues with my pair thus far, either.

PAB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back