Review: Denon D2000
Jun 18, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #76 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pataburd, I also enjoy Glenn Miller, but the only album I have of his is very grainy and noisy. Do you have a recommendation for a Miller album with high sound quality?

bperboy,
The only CD I have right now is In the Digital Mood, on GRP.
PAB

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #77 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by vin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered myself a Denon AH-D2000! Can't wait till they arrive. Just not quite sure what kind of amp and dac i will be getting to match with this headset. Right now im looking at the Gilmore lite amp and still trying to figure out what kind of dac.

Congratulations, Vin!

Please drop us a line when the D2000 arrive.

With more head time, the Denon seem to sound better and better to me. They've handled EVERYTHING I've played very well so far. : )

PAB

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #78 of 232
Darkvoice 337 is in the building! : ) In addition, I just acquired a "NOS" 1 meter pair of the legendary MillerSound SE interconnects; this pair has the premium WBT terminations, too. Sound--by virtue of the cable swap alone--is bigger and more full-bodied.

Brought the D2000 back with me today to audition with the DV337. With the MillerSound cables in place (i.e. on the Bada), the Denon sound even more dimensional, spatially adept and smoothly detailed. Just put on Henry Mancini's "Hatari" Theme, now "Baby Elephant Walk." The piccolos sound clean and extended, brass is warm, rich and smooth, the flute solo is nimble and playful conveying the mood of this composition so delighfully. The vibes on "Night Side" ring, reverberate and decay naturally. This is easy listening at its best! : )

Oh, boy--time to fire up the 337!!! : )

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #79 of 232
After warm-up, the Darkvoice 337 exerts a tight fist on the bass as I listen to Dire Straits' "In the Gallery." The D2000 remain on my head, while the HD600 and K501 remain on the shelf. The Denon sound even more balanced and effortless "under the influence" of the 337. : )

If the Bada left little to be desired with the D2000, the DV337 leaves even less!

Time to break out Gordon Lightfoot's "Sit Down Young Stranger" for a showdown between the D2000, K501 and HD600. : )

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #80 of 232
I markl'd my earpads yesterday...really nice improvement overall. Moving the drivers further away from the ears and angled slightly forwards does fill the hole in the middle of the soundstage a bit, and really tames the one characteristic of these phones that I didn't like - the immediacy of the drivers pounding my brain. If you do nothing else to your Denons but this step, I highly recommend it. I have enough polyfill for about 1,000 more sets, if anybody wants some, lol...

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #81 of 232
Pataburd... any thoughts on your D2000 vs. the HD600, I'm tring to decide on one of them to add to my SR225's. Thanks

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #82 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pataburd... any thoughts on your D2000 vs. the HD600, I'm tring to decide on one of them to add to my SR225's. Thanks

ITC,
The HD600 are more different from the SR-225 than are the D2000, IMHO. If you intend to keep the SR-225, the HD600 are probably the logical choice. In my mind, the D2000 would probably obviate your need/desire for the Grados. For me, personally, the D2000 have more "grabbing"/arresting power than the HD600 (making the D2000 more like the SR-225, and the HD600 less like the SR-225, in that regard).

The HD600 sound nicely detailed and refined (working well w/the DV337 [and current tube options] and the MillerSound cables). But the bass drive, quickness and openness of the D2000 can be hard to do without, you know. : ) I think the D2000 might be less picky about amplification, too.

War performs "The World is a Ghetto" as we speak--and the D2000 will be staying on my head for a while longer.
PAB

p.s. Before formally a/b-ing the HD600 v. D2000, the HD600 will need another 150 hours of burn-in, IMHO. So I reserve any decisive statement until such time as that 150 hours elapses and the final review write-up has begun. : )

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #83 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ITC,
The HD600 are more different from the SR-225 than are the D2000, IMHO. If you intend to keep the SR-225, the HD600 is probably the logical choice. In my mind, the D2000 would probably obviate your need/desire for the Grados. For me, personally, the D2000 have more "grabbing"/arresting power than the HD600 (making the D2000 more like the SR-225, and the HD600 less like the SR-225, in that regard).

The HD600 sound nicely detailed and refined (working well w/the DV337 [and current tube options] and the MillerSound cables). But the bass drive, quickness and openness of the D2000 can be hard to do without, you know. : ) I think the D2000 might be less picky about amplification, too.

War performs "The World is a Ghetto" as we spea--and the D2000 will be staying on my head for a while longer.
PAB

p.s. Before formally a/b-ing the HD600 v. D2000, the HD600 will need another 150 hours of burn-in, IMHO. So I reserve any decisive statement until such time as that 150 hours elapses and the final review write-up has begun. : )

Thanks for the info, I was leaning toward the D2000 because of my amp options, I intend to drive them with a portable,the D2 boa or a Pico. Some say that a portable may not be enough for the HD600 but will be enough for the D2000. I'm definitely looking for something different from my 225's.

Jun 18, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #84 of 232
Quote:

Thanks for the info, I was leaning toward the D2000 because of my amp options, I intend to drive them with a portable,the D2 boa or a Pico. Some say that a portable may not be enough for the HD600 but will be enough for the D2000. I'm definitely looking for something different from my 225's.

Don't know about the D2000s (except for the posts that say they sound like the D5000s), but my D5000s sound almost identical to my modded HD580/600s - with my set up. The D5000s may have just a bit more bass, and a bit more soundstage - but, they're very close - both are simply superb! With the right setup you'll be amazed by both.

Jun 18, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #85 of 232
Quote:

For what it's worth, I have been driving the D2000 from portables (Ipod, Karma), and I'm now looking to get an amp very soon! They don't sound bad, but not great either. YMMV
redface.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #87 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by barqy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
has anyone recabled their d2000s?

improvements?

thanks

I just bought a pair recabled in APureSound v3.

More or less, the recable has essentially brought them up to the level of D5000's (in my opinion). The treble is now very crisp, very sparkling - one of the major advantages that stock D5's hold over stock D2's. I find the bass to be much more controlled with no bloat to speak of. I do plan on adding wood cups and the markl mod to my pair, but truthfully I don't believe the latter will benefit the bass much more. Mainly I'm looking forward to adding fiberloft to the pads for increased soundstage, something which was a bit of a letdown for me.

Overall, the D2 is an excellent mid-fi pair. Incredibly engaging for the full instrumentation of the music regardless of genre, the right amount of smoothness (for me), and damn comfortable to boot. The recable certainly brings them up a few steps.

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #88 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a pair recabled in APureSound v3.

More or less, the recable has essentially brought them up to the level of D5000's (in my opinion). The treble is now very crisp, very sparkling - one of the major advantages that stock D5's hold over stock D2's. I find the bass to be much more controlled with no bloat to speak of. I do plan on adding wood cups and the markl mod to my pair, but truthfully I don't believe the latter will benefit the bass much more. Mainly I'm looking forward to adding fiberloft to the pads for increased soundstage, something which was a bit of a letdown for me.

Overall, the D2 is an excellent mid-fi pair. Incredibly engaging for the full instrumentation of the music regardless of genre, the right amount of smoothness (for me), and damn comfortable to boot. The recable certainly brings them up a few steps.

Just a question...With the recable, wouldn't it be better to just get the D5000, aleady with wood cups and a better cable. Thanks

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #89 of 232
Quote:

Just a question...With the recable, wouldn't it be better to just get the D5000, aleady with wood cups and a better cable. Thanks

Perhaps, but it really just depends on your situation. I received quite a discount on mine compared to buying the headphones and the recable separately, and I am able to make wood cups myself for the price of the wood.

I might also add that a recable is going to be of better quality than the D5000 stock cable. It might be better than the D2's stock cable, but I very highly doubt it could compete with a recable from a quality company such as APS.

Lastly, the wood cups on the D5000 are incredibly thin, and as noted by Skylab in one of his reviews, cannot impact the sound nor the improvement of the D5 over the D2. All of that extra treble is in the D5's cable.

Jun 19, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #90 of 232
Tried posting this as another thread, but I thought this thread might have a pretty good idea
biggrin.gif

For all those who own or have demo'd both the D2000 and any of the ATH A or AD (500/700/900/etc) models I'd really like your help.

I've been thinking of getting the D2000 for some time and I finally got a chance to audition them this week. I loved the depth of the cups and the level of comfort, but I have a pretty small head (narrow rather than tiny) and the D2000's keep slipping off over or behind my head. They don't stay put and have virtually no "clamp" for my head.

The question I want to pose is: Compared to the D2000's how would you describe the fit of any of the ATH models listed? The next logical choice for me is the AD700 or AD900, but I'm worried I'll have the same looseness of fit.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back