REVIEW: Denon AH-D5000 (56k beware)
Apr 19, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #91 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More listening with the Denons has made me feel they really like tube amps. The D5000's seem to be current hungry, and tube amps deliver current easily. The D5000 sound especially good with the ASL MG Head OTL mk III (in transformer mode).

I though that cap coupled amps give voltage easier

Apr 19, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #92 of 562
Quote:

Well, now the D5000 have competition from Headphile in "Darth Denons". I hope to score a pair, and compare
smily_headphones1.gif

hd13a.jpg

They look awesome. This photo is from Headphile website.

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #94 of 562
Man, those D5000 pads look so comfy... Are there any D5000s coming to the National Meet?

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #95 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by skai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow!! the darth denon looks so beautiful!! I wonder how it compares to darth beyer.

I wonder if they will be closer to the skybeyers than the darthbeyers.

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:23 AM Post #98 of 562
Quote:

More listening with the Denons has made me feel they really like tube amps. The D5000's seem to be current hungry, and tube amps deliver current easily. The D5000 sound especially good with the ASL MG Head OTL mk III (in transformer mode).

Tube amps deliver voltage easily all the opposite, SS amps deliver current easily. I'm suspecting that those will pair a lot better with a high current, Class A, SS amp instead...25 ohms of Z seeems killer to me for a tube amp...

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #99 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if they will be closer to the skybeyers than the darthbeyers.

Based on my experience with my SkyBeyers, and my D5000, I would say the Darth Denons would be closer to the SkyBeyers than the Darth Beyers sonically, yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tube amps deliver voltage easily all the opposite, SS amps deliver current easily. I'm suspecting that those will pair a lot better with a high current, Class A, SS amp instead...25 ohms of Z seeems killer to me for a tube amp...

I'm no engineer, but I do know that the Denon's don;t seem to tax my tube amps, while I have to turn up the SS amps more than with any of my other headphones except my 600 ohm DT880's in order to produce the same levels. But I have to imagine that is due to sensitivity, not impedance.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #100 of 562
I can see Skylab is getting anxious about scoring the Darth Denon's - he's now making typos. He'd better be nervous about it. I know, very personally, one competitor for them - unless Larry prices them above what I would have in mind. O.K. buyers, time to limber up. May the fastest finger do its' stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #101 of 562
LOL! Looks like you snooze, you lose on this one
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #102 of 562
I've already heard a rumor that the ol' labsters' finger is twitching from too many finger-limbering-exercise reps. Has he undertaken a correct training regimen so that he doesn't peak prematurely? Does he even have better than average speed?

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #103 of 562
Skylab, how high you turn up the volume knob on an amp is NOT a good indicator of how powerful that amp is. Rather, it is an expression of how high the gain of the amp is (i.e. the factor by which it increases the input voltage). Any amp can have a high gain, e.g. you could build a CMOY with a very high gain, where you'd barely need to raise the volume knob, but it would not make it more powerful than a Dynahi with a lower gain. For instance, you Opera has a very low low-gain setting, and a pretty modest high-gain setting, so it "seems" less powerful than other amps, even though it likely isn't.

You can describe the power of amp easily with a few figures, namely output impedance (how easily the amp puts out current), maximum current output, and maximum voltage output.

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #104 of 562
I think you missed my point though, which was how the Denon was COMPARED to other headphones, on the same amp.

I'm no engoneer, but I understand that what determines the loudness you get from headphones (SPL measured in dB) is determined by the headphones' sensitivity versus the amps ability to deliver voltage, as modified by the headphones' impedance versus the amps ability to deliver current.

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #105 of 562
Interesting write up. Would you agree with Nina's 'haiku review'?

I'm interested in an alternative to W1000/W5000's to pair up with the Yamamoto HA-02 I just ordered >.<

edit: For work. The Doge/AKG 271s' just don't do it for me after listening the the W5000 setup at home. Must...have....delicate....Japanese....woodie...so und...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back